Author Topic: Loc-tite on corner drive bolts?  (Read 9675 times)

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
Loc-tite on corner drive bolts?
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:40:21 AM »
I lent my corner drive to the local hockey team while they were waiting for a new one to arrive.  The guys that pulled it out said the bolts were *)$%# tight.  When I put it back in should I use loctite on them?  I know - - look in Da Book but Da Book is in Da Bus which is in Da COLD COLD shop.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Loc-tite on corner drive bolts?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 12:06:42 PM »
Corner drive? 

Is that a Canadian term?

What's the American equivalent? 

Or is this headache really something I should be concerned about?
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline mikeH8H-649

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 12:45:25 PM »
I also am curious as to what a corner drive,must have some other name or just something new to me   Mike

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 04:00:55 PM »
Corner drive? 
Is that a Canadian term?

Dunno what the 'murican equivalent would be & I don't know what else you would call the "right angle gear drive mechanism" that the radiator fan mounts to.  What do you call it?

R.J.(Bob) Evans

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 04:28:02 PM »
Do you mean the miter box?

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 05:15:19 PM »
Miter box? Thats something you cut wood with!  Bob used the wrong terminology it is actually a dual corner box.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Stan

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 05:23:31 PM »
Nothing wrong with using Loc-tite on any bolt that you want to stay in place. There are different kinds for bolts that can be taken out with a lot of torque and and for bolts that require heat to break the bond.  Use whatever kind suits your fancy for you application.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 08:34:34 PM »
Wat Stan said . . . PLUS Now is a good time to use NEW bolts to put it back on. I'd consider grade 8 bolts as it would be better to over kill the hardware now rather than have them shear off after you loctite-ed them in place & your trip is interupted.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 11:54:17 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation guys.  Grade 8 fine thread with loctite it is then.  Weather warmed up today so it might even happen tonight.

R.J.(Bob) Evans

Dreamscape

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 06:00:49 PM »
Loctite comes in several forms of strength required. I don't know the numbers, but some require the bolt or nut to be heated up before it can be removed. Once apllied that is the only way to take it apart. There are several that are removable, no heat involved to loosen. Just depends on what the need is. There is red, blue and green in color, to visually see which one you are using.

Hope this helps in some way.

Paul
Dreamscape

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 06:48:56 PM »
Be careful with Red Loctite.   It's a PIA to remove anything locked with that stuff.  Think of it as permanent.   
I just wrote a book on why to not use it on a bell housing and then notice that a "corner drive" is on the other end of the engine.   Duh!  I deleted that...
Blue Loctite is the best for keeping bolts in place.  New lock washers and hardware go a long ways too! 
Best, JR]
HITH do you work on a cold bus?  :o
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 08:06:46 PM »
I believe the two ended right angle drive coming from the DD crankshaft and connecting to the factory A/C on one side and the radiator fan on the other side is more properly identified as the miter (mitre?) box, not a corner drive.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Stan

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 06:20:22 AM »
Note that Bob said <what else you would call the "right angle gear drive mechanism" that the radiator fan mounts to.  What do you call it?>

I don't remember what kind of bus that Bob is working on, but if the fan mounts on the box, it is not the miter box like on the back of an Eagle. The GM 4501 used a right angle gear box with a shaft  drive on the input and the fan mounted directly on the output shaft. If the correct name is so important, maybe somebody with a 4501 parts book can look it up.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 07:10:28 AM »
Stan -

Ask & ye shall receive, direct from a Scenic Shop Manual/Parts Book:

GBK-9850  BOX, gear (1:1 ratio) (FAN DRIVE ONLY)

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 02:51:46 PM »
I don't remember what kind of bus that Bob is working on, but if the fan mounts on the box, it is not the miter box like on the back of an Eagle. The GM 4501 used a right angle gear box with a shaft  drive on the input and the fan mounted directly on the output shaft. If the correct name is so important, maybe somebody with a 4501 parts book can look it up.

That is exactly the situation although it is on a 1981 Prevost.  This thread has deteriorated severely and really hasn't dealt with my question at all.  My concern was vibration on the "corner drive" loosening the bolts and whether or not it would be wise to use loctite or more specifically whether there was any reason NOT to use loctite.  I've come to my own conclusion. 

And contrary to what I posted above I will NOT be using Gr 8 bolts.  This is just my opinion but I think I will stick to what was there originally which was Gr 5 fine thread.  If there are any issues about brittleness in conjunction with the vibration from the fan my personal opinion is that the Gr 5 will be a better choice.

And in answer to Mr Lynch - you work quickly, with frequent trips to the house, with a diesel fired shop heater or you wait for a warm day.  Of course warm days could be in short supply until late April so that really isn't a good option.

R.J.(Bob) Evans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal