Author Topic: How often do you service your air filter?  (Read 6814 times)

Offline goutoe

How often do you service your air filter?
« on: November 14, 2012, 07:04:49 AM »
Do you guys check your air filter when you change oil? or only when the indicators show red? I am sure that it all depends of the type of driving you do, most of my miles are highway but I live in the country and I have to drive about a mile on gravel and the bus stirs up alot of dirt as you guys know. Is it a good idea to blow out the element periodicly' or replace it yearly? what do you guys suggest? Thanks for any thoughts. John.
John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.

Offline Mike in GA

Re: How often do you service your air filter?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
I let the yellow/red air filter gauge in the engine compartment be my guide, but it seems I can go 3 years or so without having to change (about 5,000 -7,000 miles per year on 99% paved roads). H.T.H.
Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 07:44:04 AM »
I also have an AMGeneral. Hopefully you're air restriction indicator on you air cleaner is working. It is the best way to find out. With the high up right side air intake the AMGenerals have, that will allow you more miles then the lower intake on GMC's. I can tell when my air filter needs replacing-get a bit more smoke then I should.

DO NOT BLOW OUT YOUR AIR FILTER ELEMENT!! Blowing out the "dust" can create micro holes in the paper element allowing dust and dirt into your engine. Considering the air filter element is about $85.00, just replace it-it is a whole lot cheaper then an engine overhaul.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:47:05 AM »
      Shaking or brushing off external dust won't hurt anything (if you're careful to not damage the element) -- but it doesn't really gain you much in most conditions.  If it's that dirty, it probably needs changing; the suction gauge is your best friend.
      Blowing a filter with compressed air (either on the front or from the inside out) is very likely to damage the filter.  Not a good idea.

Bruce H   NC   USA
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:00:17 AM »
Filter minders are a joke 1/2 don't work and the other 1/2 is probably not the correct setting for the air intake for the model of engine just check the filter about every 6 months  

We always blew the air cleaners with air 20 lbs max on equipment every day some time 2 or 3 times a day it was in the service manual  I have no idea when Donaldson started with the no air thing  

If I still owned the heavy equipment they would be blown out with air, changing a 200 dollar air filter twice a day would not be a option or in the budget I never had a engine failure because of a air filter 

The oil was changed every 250 hrs along with a new air filters inner and outer
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline goutoe

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »
Thanks for the info, I decided to pickup a new filter this morning cost me 53 bucks very cheap insurance, I am still running on the same filter that was in the bus when I bought it 2 -1/2 years ago, this will give me a fresh start. thanks again, John.
John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 12:09:46 PM »
     My bus uses a Baldwin PA-2818 (inside a canister).  Napa wanted $60+ for their equivalent "Gold" filter.  I found it on line from "Filter Products Co", Tuscon AZ for less than $20 plus ~$8 shipping.  Arrived in a couple of days, perfect.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
No filter minder on my 5A, like Clifford i have seen them on heavy equipment that don't work. I have four filters, Napa 2126, usually about $49 each. I wait and get them during their Gold Filter sale in the spring. Found a receipt for 2010 and they were $11.28 each. I change them every spring when i do the oil and other service before heading out for the summer. Been putting on about 5000 miles a year for the last 6 years or so.....that will probably change this next year as we are free to travel more now.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 12:58:30 PM »
All this talk of $20 filters makes me wince!   Mine cost about $140.   That's the price to pay for having the largest size of ECO-BC filter.   Because none existed anywhere, Racor made it to order for me at their factory in Modesto, so at least it wasn't sitting on a shelf for ten years getting dried out.   After I replaced it last December I noticed the engine now has more power, and the turbo spools up quicker and sound louder.   I think the old filter was more clogged than it appeared.

I have also changed the access cover over the filter  -  I can now easily look down into it to check it's not split or torn, which the old filter was beginning to do.   Remember, if the filter's split and letting unfiltered air through, the Filter Minder gauge will still read as if it's OK.   A thorough internal visual check every now and then may possibly prevent a dusted engine.

John   
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 06:00:30 PM »
i got one of the big Wix cans for an air filter.  Napa and O'reilly's at $120.  i replaced mine because it was over 6 yrs. old and fuel is more expensive than air, so a clean air filter should enable less fuel, more horses?  Anyway, i changed them all out.  water, air, oil, fuel, tranny.  but the air wasn't showing bad or looking bad, and no black smoke unless i'd been idling too much.
my 2 cents.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline Boomer

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 09:20:58 PM »
Routine in logging and construction to blow them out.  I have done it for 40 years without any problems and we did it for years when I owned a bus co.  Since we overhauled our own engines we knew exactly what was going on inside them and never had a dusted engine; I am talking the 2 strokes, the S60's never needed overhauling, lol.  Kinda suspect the filter manufacturers were practicing self preservation by banning no blow out but what do I know.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Re: How often do you service your air filter?
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »
Yep we use low air and just blow them from the inside out. It works.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline lostagain

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:23 AM »
 Some filters are better quality than others. I use an Eco disposable one. It is about $150. Once in a while I take it out and hook up the shop vac to the intake with duct tape and blow it out with compressed air from the inside out. Just don't put the nozzle right up against it. I get lots of dust out of it. I cut an old one open once just to see. I was amazed at the high quality. It is very strong and well made. You'd have to go at it with a screw driver to put holes in it. I replace it a lot less often since I moved the air intake up high on the side of the bus. I also gave up on the vacuum gauge when it started not reading right. I can tell when the filter is getting clogged by the smoke out the exhaust pipe and diminishing power when driving it.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline boogiethecat

• HeartMagic
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
It was always such a silly guessing game as to when to change the filter- especially being that an overly dusty Burningman event could trash a brand new filter in less than an hour....or not.... so I finally installed a simple "inches of water" vacuum gauge on the dash, hooked it in just before the turbo's inlet, and watched it for a few trips.
 Turns out that if it ever hits 2 inches of water vacuum, I risk sucking the rubber turbo inlet hose flat (twice now), and obviously that's a little late in the game to change the filter.
So my cutoff is 1.5 inches of water vacuum... if it hits that under any circumstance, the next stop is a filter change.  Never had a problem since!
1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca

Offline belfert

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »
When I checked my air filter last year it had a thin layer of mud coating the inside.  I'm not sure if it was restricting things too much as I noticed no difference after replacing it.  That filter had probably four trips to the Black Rock desert on it and the Minnesota humidity probably created the mud.

I had one heck of a time get the filter housing closed after opening it.  I would be hesitant to check on a regular basis due to that.  Is there some trick to closing a Donaldson filter housing?
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal