Author Topic: The Silverliner Chronicles  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Midwilshire

The Silverliner Chronicles
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »
Greetings Busnuts!

It's been about six months since we posted, but we're back.  We spent two months of FULL-time work on the conversion of our 1978 MCI-5, the "Silverliner," this summer.  This is a brief summary of what we did:

• Removed seats & overhead bins
  • Demolished floor and subfloor plywood
  • Removed seat rails
  • Removed metal interior walls
  • Removed OTR air con
  • Removed ceiling
  • Removed bags and bags and more bags of old insulation
  • fabricated metal brackets for interior and exterior attach points and welded to bus frame
  • Installed roof fan and black water vent
  • Ran conduit and wiring
  • Spray foam (FoamItGreen) the roof and walls
  • Replaced metal walls by re-riveting them
  • Installed new floor of tarpaper / plywood / pinkboard insulation / plywood
  • Bus Kote the roof
  • Painted the exterior
  • Installed 24v LED lights all around
  • Moved the gear shift lever from the drivers right side to left side
  • Ginned up a poor-man's window a/c interior install (actually works well)
  • Installed back-up camera and monitor

We're at the "tin tent" stage now, and with the Tampa weather starting to become reasonable, the project resumes....

We documented most of this with pics and video, which we're just now starting to post in the "Bus Projects" section of this website, under "Introducting the Silverliner."  There's already THIRTY FIVE (35) videos linked / embedded there.  Feel free to peruse them and offer criticism as you see fit.  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=23466.30  If the videos won't play or won't show up, just click on their names under them.

But what we could use most is advice on the ORDER in which to proceed from here.  We're thinking:

• Ceiling
  • Beds/Cabinets
  • Plumbing/Electrical

Any advice is appreciated!!!!

Michael & Gigi
1978 MCI-5C "Silverliner"
Full-timers in the DC area

Offline DMoedave

Re: The Silverliner Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 04:47:42 AM »
Do you have your layout yet? plumbing first for me! get your tanks situated and that defines toliet area usually. Did you do this work in the shade or under any cover? I used a white canvas tarp and some old sails to make my shade and keep the sun off. good luck, see  you in Arcadia?
we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!

Offline Midwilshire

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:29:26 AM »
Do you have your layout yet? plumbing first for me! get your tanks situated and that defines toliet area usually. Did you do this work in the shade or under any cover? I used a white canvas tarp and some old sails to make my shade and keep the sun off. good luck, see  you in Arcadia?
Yes, we have an intended layout. 

There are a few 3D pictures of it at the very beginning of our "Bus Projects" thread:  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=23466.0

We have the locations of plumbing set, but had planned to build it last (open to suggsetion on this).  Most if it will be PEX.  The toilet and shower are strategically placed so the blackwater tank in the bay sits right up against the bulkhead.  The other day, we had the thought of just removing the bathroom sink from the plan, forcing everyone to use the single sink in the galley.  Anyone done this?

Right now, there's so much to be done that I don't know where to start!

Would love to go to Arcadia, but unfortunately, work prevents it this year.  I'm "on duty" over the new year, so the wife and kids decided on a Carribean cruise.  Not sure how that's fair!  ???  -Mike
Michael & Gigi

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »
Mike work from the back to the front, you will or someone will want a sink in the Bath. We put in a standard house sink and went at a 45 degree angle in the corner, then move your toilet over so you can get into and out of the shower. Also used a curtain instead of a door for shower, saved space. our toilet is only 10 inches from the cabinet face for sink.

HTH Dave5Cs ;D
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Midwilshire

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »
Mike work from the back to the front, you will or someone will want a sink in the Bath.

Good advice, Dave.  Front to back & the sink stays.  Ceiling panels went up today, and more tomorrow.
Michael & Gigi

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 05:56:40 PM »
Also instead of a straight shower curtain rods get one of thos 3 piece ones that push out. I took it apart and cut the end pieces to fit in our shower wall to wall as high as I could get it and still put the curtain on. The wife cut off a shower curtain we bought at Wally world and hemmed the bottom. This folds in or out to add another 6 inches out to give you more room in the shower.

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal