Author Topic: Thinking of selling ny 4905,but i may not have the time to finish,  (Read 8755 times)

Offline johnjem

• http://photobucket.com/johnsgmc4905
  • 1970 gmc 4905
    • http://photobucket.com/johnsgmc4905
i am sure it would be easer to sell a running bus,but as of now i dont have the time,nothing major just some TLC,and batterys,pm, would dropping the price make it easyer  for the next owner haul it away.or hope to sell it and new owner get it going,or just sit on it for awhile to finish it and then sell???? reason,our first baby girl was born oct 26 2012 i never realized how much time they need, me and my wife are doing shifts for the feeding,sleeping, any great ideas would be great  john
Never stop thinking,it"s what keeps us going till tomorrow
http://photobucket.com/johnsgmc4905

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
Re: Thinking of selling ny 4905,but i may not have the time to finish,
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Keep the mice out of it.  Keep it dry.  Let it sit for a year and see how you feel then.  You're not going to get enough for it to make any immediate difference and you may feel a lot different once the kid starts sleeping through the night. 
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »
Keep the mice out of it.  Keep it dry.  Let it sit for a year and see how you feel then.  You're not going to get enough for it to make any immediate difference and you may feel a lot different once the kid starts sleeping through the night. 

Good advice ... Sit on it, all babies cry like that, wait till she/he starts cutting teeth. 

It might be a whole different story come spring time.

BCO

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 12:13:36 PM »
Sell the kid keep the Bus it will cost less, LOL

Dave5Cs :o
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:19:49 PM »
Sell the kid keep the Bus it will cost less, LOL

Dave5Cs :o
True, true.

Seriously, in these uncertain times it's not a bad idea to have an alternate potential roof over your heads.   Unless it's costing you an exhorbitant amount to merely keep it now, I suggest holding on to it.   If something bad happens, our buses already are our Plan B, something that most of the population does not have.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 03:33:18 PM »
Another vote to keeping it. It's not worth enough to sell it for any financial reasons...but if it's majorly in the way or not storable...then I can understand. Heather and I are planning on our first kiddo in a couple of years and we're going to keep going...full timing in our bus. I know, different scenario, but I hate to see young peeps giving up the bus dream..
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 04:46:15 PM »
We got our second bus when our son was just over a year old. It is amazing what you can do once they start taking naps!  If you own the bus and it doesn't cost money to keep it where it is, be patient. We bought our first bus 1 day before we found out we were going to have a child!  Man!  Just realized the first bus only lasted about 18 months!

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »
The throw away diapers are pricey 8 gals of fuel @4 bucks for the bus or a bag of diapers for the baby lol,my guy tells me diesel is going to be around 3.80 a gal for 2013 then over 5 bucks in 2014 something for him to think about LOL
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »
Try to get the grandbaby once every 3 0r 4 weeks. She lives about 325 miles from us. The Granddaughter has already fell in love with the bus. We cut out everytime we pick her up and head to the gulf coast. She'll ask if the bus is ready to go over the phone. My little doll just turned 4. Started cruising when she was 3. If it's not a financial burden I would keep it and finish out.

Offline Midwilshire

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:36:55 PM »
reason,our first baby girl was born oct 26 2012 i never realized how much time they need, me and my wife are doing shifts for the feeding,sleeping ....

First, congratulations John! 

Now, since your daughter is but a few weeks old, that means you are operating on practically no sleep and are not of sound mind.  And everything is new and uncertain.  Give things six months to calm down a little, and then if you really want to sell, you can.  But when she's running around learning about the world, perhaps it would be nice to have that bus still.   
Michael & Gigi
1978 MCI-5C "Silverliner"
Full-timers in the DC area

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »
As noted, just don't worry about the coach for now.

Best solution for a first child is to get a second one.

It's the only thing that smartens up first time parents, and smartens up the first born too, who keeps you wrapped around their parasitic little finger.

Unfortunately, too many never stop being first time parents...

Many years from now, you will smile and offer similar advice to someone else.

Hug your wife, she needs it. Hug your daughter, and get earplugs.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 01:43:32 AM »
John -

Congratulations!  Altho my first born daughter is now 34 (and the mother of six!), I still remember vividly her birth and the ensuing craziness for the first few months.  Especially things like getting up at Oh Dark Thirty to a crying baby, changing the diaper, bringing her into Mama to nurse back to sleep, and worrying about rolling over on her after I've dozed off again!  (Oh, and DON'T be afraid of bringing her into bed with you and mama at this age - your subconscious will NOT allow you to roll over onto the baby, nor will you spoil her by doing so.  Those fears are nothing but (sorry for the bad humor), old wive's tales.

In about 2 -3 weeks, she'll start sleeping pretty much all thru the night, maybe only waking once, if that.  Pretty soon, everything will become routine, and you'll look back and chuckle at all the sillyness of first-born parenting's first three months worries.

Now. . . back to the subject of your post:

The others who have commented are right on the money: sit on it for the time being.  The bus, that is!

Work on it here and there, when other parental chores are done and little one's taking a nap.  Break your projects down into things that can be done with minimum busting out the tools and risk of problems if/when you can come back to them.  "Inch by inch, anything's a cinch!"

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)

PS: Oh, and remember:  When you & mama are trying to go somewhere and you're running late, the later you are, the greater the chances that little one will have a runny #2 all over you as you're walking out the door!  A Murphy's Law corollary!  BTDTHTSS!

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 04:08:11 AM »
Ahh, being a parent.  My wife and I just learned that we will be grandparents very soon... we are so excited.

If I have any regret, it is that I wish I had raised my kids on the road full time.  We never had enough money, enough time, enough....

But, the precious moments of the vast experiences that travel offers cannot be compared to anything that the home offered.  Don't get sucked in my the "American Dream" of the big house, the cars, the second and third jobs, the after school sports, etc.   Everyone is dying for all of that and where is the good?  The only true good you can do for your child, is to give him/her your time.

Keep the bus, let it sit.  These old buses don't grow old very easily. 
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline roadgipsy

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »
I would say KEEP IT! We just had our fourth baby and we were on our first trip when she was three weeks old. You get them use to the noise and movement and they will sleep right through it. If you do have a kid who does not sleep well, selling the bus will not change that at all. Like everyone mentioned already, this is also our plan B. Roof, water, mobile, durable, etc...

Good luck.

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »
Keep the bus! 

I bought my first bus when my son was 1 (he is now 25 and on his own).  The second one I bought when my youngest daughter was 2 months old(she is now 11) and my bus still isn't finished!

But, it is a project that keeps me close to home, and won't really go down in value---definitely won't go up! 

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
P8M4905A333
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal