Author Topic: Seeking covered long-term bus storage  (Read 26780 times)

Offline boxcarOkie

Re: Seeking covered long-term bus storage
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 10:46:25 AM »
Good advice all of it.  With construction costs such as they are, I dunno, it might be the best route to find vacant property in some business district and rent an old warehouse.  But that is going to be pretty tough to do on the monies being mentioned here.

BCO

Offline Zeroclearance

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 11:30:18 AM »
Sean,  I have to agree with Tom.  You have that vacant land in South Dakota..   A 12 x 48 pole building wouldn't be that difficult and cheaper in the long run.  It would suck to get settled in on the 7 seas to have to come into port to move your bus because the place was sold or ???

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions so far.  It looks like I should clarify a few things:

First, just to be clear, we are not limiting ourselves to any specific area.  Our families are on opposite ends of the country, so all locations are equally distant, on average.  Proximity to an airport and overall climate are both more important than distance from either coast.

Second, waterway access is irrelevant.  Our boat will have no "home port," and even if it did, with a boat that does 7-8 knots, once you get a hundred miles from where you start, it becomes an airplane flight to get back in a hurry no matter what.  If the boat is in Gibraltar, flying to Fort Lauderdale isn't any better than flying to Atlanta, for example.  For the handful of times we will do it (maybe once every 2-3 years), having to fly inland to get the bus is just not an issue.

Lastly, we do not own any property on which we can store the bus.  The lot in South Dakota is inside the city limits and is zoned only for single-family residential homes.  We can't erect a pole barn or anything similar, neither can we even park the bus on the empty lot unless we build a house there first.

From all the comments thus far, it is sounding like $200 a month or so is the best we can do for covered storage.  I think we can find lots of places in that price range.  I was hoping the group might have an inside track on something a bit better.  In any case, we will set that as our upper limit and figure on around $2,500 per year in the budget, along with the non-op insurance and registration, to keep the bus at our disposal.

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 06:02:35 PM »
How are you going to register a boat without a home port ? yep at 8 or 9 mph it would take awhile good luck on your new adventure is it a trawler ?  
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
Sean,

Just to confirm, you got my email on the covered storage close to us, correct? That hits just about every tic mark that you originally had.

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 06:20:43 PM »
Sean, I will contact you via email with a suggestion. 

I no longer post here or on BNO due to all the crap going on.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 06:49:10 PM »
Oh my here it comes enjoy the show lol

Offline Sean

• Geek.
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 09:46:32 PM »
How are you going to register a boat without a home port ?

Our boat will not be registered with any state.  It will, however, be "documented" with the USCG.  Documented boats required a "hailing port," which is very different from a home port.  For US documentation, the hailing port must be in the US, but there is no requirement that the boat ever visit such place or even that it be accessible by water.  No reason why an ocean-going vessel could not have a hailing port of, for example, Phoenix, AZ.  Our hailing port will be Yankton, SD, which happens to be the farthest upstream one can travel from the ocean on the Missouri River, but our boat's draft would preclude it from going any further upstream than Sioux City, Iowa.

yep at 8 or 9 mph it would take awhile good luck on your new adventure is it a trawler ?  

Yes, we are looking only at trawlers, with trans-oceanic capability.

Just to confirm, you got my email ...
and
Sean, I will contact you via email ...

Thanks, I did get those emails, along with a few others.  I am a little behind right now on answering everyone, sorry.  Also, I am in the data-gathering stage right now.  I probably will not get to calling all these places until after Thanksgiving.

-Sean

Offline TomC

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »
If they only allow you to build a house on your lot, then build a house. But build it with one of the walls capable of raising hydraulically to allow you to drive the bus inside the "house". Who cares what's inside as long as it looks like a house from the outside.

I got that idea from a real life house in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles. Right in the middle of multi million dollar homes, the owner likes his motorhome. So on his normal garage, you can just barely make out the outline of the much bigger door that opens disguised as part of the house.  Pretty clever.  Sean-you're clever-you could design the same thing.  Good Luck, TomC
What kind of trawler did you bid on-length, etc?
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Sean

• Geek.
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 12:06:41 AM »
Duplicate post, deleted.

Offline busguy01

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 05:12:24 AM »
Just a heads up. I was the owner of the Marina in Yankton, SD for some years and sold boats there. The state of South dakota and the coast gaurd are very friendly. You will receive a notice from the state requesting payment for sales tax and state registration upon documenting the boat in South dakota. There are ways around this I am sure but they are unknown to me.
Jimh
Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Sebastian, Florida

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 06:03:30 AM »
I thought a hailing port had to be on the US Department of Commerce list for cities and territories I never heard you pick just anywhere you choose ?   

Offline Sean

• Geek.
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
I thought a hailing port had to be on the US Department of Commerce list for cities and territories I never heard you pick just anywhere you choose ?   

Clifford, you are correct about the list... CFR 67.119(b) states "The hailing port must be a place in the United States included in the U.S. Department of Commerce's Federal Information Processing Standards Publication 55DC."  However, that publication contains pretty much every city, town, and county in the US, Puerto Rico, and outlying territories ("Named Populated Places, Primary County Divisions, and Other Locational Entities of the United States, Puerto Rico, and the Outlying Areas").

Beyond coming from that list, yes, it can be any place you choose.  There is no longer a requirement that the vessel spend any time there (or even have ever been there at all) or that such named place is even accessible by the "navigable waters of the United States."  You can't just make up a name, but pretty much any named place in the US is on the approved list.

Once you've applied for documentation, changing the hailing port later requires more paperwork and fees.  And the hailing port, including state or territory, must be clearly marked on the outside of the vessel, along with the documented name.

-Sean

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Who cares where you store the damn bus.   ;D

The important question is what did you make an offer on?
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 07:48:36 PM »
Yes, tell us more about this hull in the water you plan to see the world in!!!

Perhaps another alternative is a busnut host to care for Odyssey while you sail the seven seas?

I'd be thinking that the coach needs to have a committed caretaker. You will be returning to disaster without some level of maintenance as the years go by, unless you are planning to store it inoperative and pickled properly.

By inoperative, I mean batteries removed, engine pickled according to Da Book, dehumidifiers running inside...

Frankly, my good friend, you don't want to have to think about the coach when you embark on this magnificent ocean going journey.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal