Author Topic: Refer took a dump  (Read 7961 times)

Offline TomC

Refer took a dump
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »
After 17 years use, my Norcold compressor type refer seized up. And of course Norcold doesn't make a replacement cooling unit for it anymore.  Maybe I can buy a new compressor and have it installed.  I new Norcold double door is around $1,200.  I have my NovaKool for my truck I'll just install in the meantime. Anyone ever just replace the compressor?  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Utahclaimjumper

Re: Refer took a dump
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »
 I understand from other forums that the a couple of Amish companies are makeing replacment units that are better than the originals.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline belfert

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »
Tom is not running a standard RV fridge so an Amish unit won't help him.  His fridge has a DC compressor.

Can't an appliance repair shop just order a new DC compressor and install it?  You should be able to drive over to the shop to reduce the trip fee.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 08:10:33 AM »
The Norcold compressor is a weird 48vac (or something around that) with it's own inverter built in. So only a Norcold compressor would work. This is what I like about the NovaKool-it uses a 12vdc Danfoss compressor (very popular in the marine world) and on the big double door comes standard with it's own inverter to run also on 120vac.
I'll try to call Norcold.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 09:55:32 AM »
TomC, that is a Engel setup (Sawafuji Compressor) they still make the chest type freezers for Norcold but stopped supplying the fridges several years back most use 134A freon yours maybe R22 I don't know
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »
It just irritates me to throw away a perfectly good refrigerator when only the compressor is bad. Norcold will not sell me a new compressor. And looking at the Engel conversion kit for $1,000 when a new refer is $1,200 is sort of a no brainer. I don't think I'll buy another Norcold, just go with another NovaKool 9cu/ft double door. It runs on both 12vdc and 120vac, has a Danfoss compressor with built in fan and costs just about the same.  I have the NovaKool for my truck, I'll just put it into the bus in the meantime-sort of a demo ride to see if I like the NovaKool.  Good Luck, TomC

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:10:52 AM »
Tom, if you call Dynamx in Chino Valley Az 1-928-636-1995 he may can help you with a compressor or send you in the right direction

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »
Maybe the Engel people could match up a compressor.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
It just irritates me to throw away a perfectly good refrigerator when only the compressor is bad. Norcold will not sell me a new compressor. And looking at the Engel conversion kit for $1,000 when a new refer is $1,200 is sort of a no brainer. I don't think I'll buy another Norcold, just go with another NovaKool 9cu/ft double door. It runs on both 12vdc and 120vac, has a Danfoss compressor with built in fan and costs just about the same.  I have the NovaKool for my truck, I'll just put it into the bus in the meantime-sort of a demo ride to see if I like the NovaKool.  Good Luck, TomC 

I have a NovaKool (I think a 8.5 cu feet, single wide, reefer over freezer).  I've full timed about a year, like it a lot.  It doesn't seem to cool down quickly but I solve that by putting things in it that are already cool and that fixes that.  Small things like a bottle of juice off the shelf cool down quickly OK.  Current draw seems pretty low, too.  If somebody stole this one, you'd have to convince me real hard to buy something else to replace it with.

Yeah, they're expensive but I hope to never have to buy any reefer again.   JMW,   BH  NC  USA
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline B_K

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 07:55:59 AM »
Tom is not running a standard RV fridge so an Amish unit won't help him.  His fridge has a DC compressor.

Can't an appliance repair shop just order a new DC compressor and install it?  You should be able to drive over to the shop to reduce the trip fee.

UH Brian I don't know about the Amish in your area but the ones down here only use DC or PROPANE refridges as they don't have AC in the house. (their religion prohibits "be connected to the grid")

;D  BK  ;D

Offline belfert

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 08:07:12 AM »
UH Brian I don't know about the Amish in your area but the ones down here only use DC or PROPANE refridges as they don't have AC in the house. (their religion prohibits "be connected to the grid")

I really have no idea what you are talking about.  The poster who mentioned the Amish stuff wasn't talking about what the Amish use at home.  There is an Amish manufacturer who makes replacement cooling units for ammonia based RV fridges.  Tom's fridge does not use ammonia so the Amish cooling unit won't help him.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline B_K

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »
Um Brian I stand by my earlier statement. (even with your revised info)

The Amish around here do use DC refrigerators and some use propane as well.
But they are very big on using battery power in the houses and taking the batteries to the "shop" or barn to charge them. (it's not against the religion to have electricity in the "Shop" or barn as it is for "work" not pleasure or comfort purposes!)

So without you added explanation about the ammonia based RV fridges I (and probably no one else knew exactly whet you were referring too)
;D  BK  ;D

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »
When I first converted my MCI7, I installed a compressor DC type, it lasted about 1 1/2 years and gave up, I went to Sears and purchased a frost free model with ice maker, fit the same hole, lasted as long as I played the RV mode about 19 more years, never had a single issue with it, ever.   Why I am now planning on having a home model refrig installed in my coach, get rid of the amonia type.
One step at a time
Dave
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Zeroclearance

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »
Tom,  I had a little time to search for the Danfoss compressor.    Here is a company that is selling them ala carte.

http://www.rparts.com/index.php?cPath=13_1_2

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal