Author Topic: Shore power connection. What is your method ?  (Read 16213 times)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: Shore power connection. What is your method ?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 07:15:58 AM »
My theft comment was based on people telling me war-stories of having the cable pulled out and clipped from the typical RV bin while in storage, and even while parked in a truck stop or rest stop overnight, boondocking.  My cables live in the locked luggage bay if they aren't in use, but I know I could "steal" the cable from my truck camper in about 15 seconds if I had a pair of bolt-cutters in the pocked of my stylishly low crotch jeans...   :o

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline B_K

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 07:39:51 AM »
Quote from: bevans6
My theft comment was based on people telling me war-stories of having the cable pulled out and clipped from the typical RV bin while in storage, and even while parked in a truck stop or rest stop overnight, boondocking.  My cables live in the locked luggage bay if they aren't in use, but I know I could "steal" the cable from my truck camper in about 15 seconds if I had a pair of bolt-cutters in the pocked of my stylishly low crotch jeans...   :o
Brian

15 seconds? Wow you are slow. The boyz in da hoods 'round these parts dat wear da same "stylish" pants as you can do it in 5!

Offline 4905 doc

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 09:18:44 AM »
Is that a female outlet, or a male inlet?   What's on the bus end of your cable?

John

The outlet mounted on the bay wall is a 3 wire dryer or welder type. I simply replaced   the female ends of the rv cord and the generator cord with 3 prong matching male ends. That was cheaper and easier to find than the rv style ends, plus, If there was a problem, any hardware store in the country has them.

Offline sledhead

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »
I used a 50' extension rv cord and cut it off at 3' from the female end hard wired the female end to a junction box to go to the gennie,hard wired the male into the junction box that goes to the inverter,panel. when I drive and want to use the gennie I plug the male end of the cord into the female end of the gennie plug. This way you can not use the gennie and the shore power at the same time . And it was cheaper to cut the extension cord then it was to buy the plugs.              dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »
... I simply replaced   the female ends of the rv cord and the generator cord with 3 prong matching male ends. ...

Aaaaack!

That is incredibly dangerous, and also illegal in all 50 states and all of Canada.  You could kill someone that way, possibly yourself.

Please, please, please, for your own safety, replace the coach end of the cable with a female end.  Range receptacles are like $15 at Home Depot -- your life is worth more than saving fifteen bucks.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
Steve, did you get my reply to your PM?
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 04:57:19 PM »
4905-- Maybe there is a misunderstanding.  Are you saying that your cords have hot male ends that connect to a female fitting that goes to the breaker box, or is that female receptacle next to your breaker box just coming from the generator?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 04:43:58 AM »
We've got a 50a marinco plug inside the bay next to the genset.  that and the genset are wired to a transfer switch, with the primary being the genset for auto  changeover.  We carry 50/30 and 30/20 conversion plugs.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
The outlet mounted on the bay wall is a 3 wire dryer or welder type. I simply replaced   the female ends of the rv cord and the generator cord with 3 prong matching male ends. That was cheaper and easier to find than the rv style ends, plus, If there was a problem, any hardware store in the country has them.

That's called a suicide plug for a good reason.  I used one once to backfeed one side of the panel years ago when a rain storm hit our company picnic and knocked the power out at our residence.  I didn't feel good doing it then and I sure wouldn't trust one for regular use on the road.  And just so the safety nazis don't have to ask, yes, I turned the mains off before I hooked up my suicide plug.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline 4905 doc

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »
4905-- Maybe there is a misunderstanding.  Are you saying that your cords have hot male ends that connect to a female fitting that goes to the breaker box, or is that female receptacle next to your breaker box just coming from the generator?

no misunderstanding. that was how I had it wired. worked fine for me as long as you plugged in the bus before hooking to the campground. Now, I should explain, when I decided to sell the bus, I removed this setup and mounted a secondary box along side the main breaker with a male end and put female ends on all 3 or the cables. I didn't want the next owner to forget and fry himself.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal