Author Topic: $15,000 oil seal leak turbo!  (Read 14805 times)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
$15,000 oil seal leak turbo!
« on: November 27, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
Turbo oil seal leak into exhaust. Why? ? It ruins new Urea exhaust system and it must be replaced. Turbo fix less than $1,000 rest was exhaust.  Wasn't mine but family member and was warranty. Really makes you want the new system! 2012 model.  Just thought I would pass that on. I know why he trades when warranty is about up now.  Was on a combine.  Could have been new bus sure it is same system.  Maybe off topic but probably dead on new exhaust system.   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
Re: $15,000 oil seal leak turbo!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 04:04:34 PM »
I'm glad the problem was fixed before your "family member" with the problem could pollute the earth and kill all of us.  Thank God for people like Al Gore.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Slow Rider

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
Would this be the same Al Gore who said the internal combustion engine ( and therefor our hobby/obsession ) should be outlawed?  ..........
The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 06:30:10 PM »
just remember, you are using HIS internet.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »
Just had a discussion about these great new devices with my nephew inlaw ???  He is a diesel wrench at Southern Plains Diesel in Amarillo and said these new trucks coming in are a nightmare and really expensive to work on.  More money for him, but this technology is not working well in the field and will cost truckers a bunch of $$$ as time goes on. 

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »
I am gonna puke
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 07:07:31 AM »
The nice part about the new diesels is I can start one up in my shop without smoking up the entire place with black soot!!
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 08:12:19 AM »
You can complain about EPA regulations, but without them we would still be adjusting carburetors and points in our cars.  The regulations caused some serious pain in the seventies with some of the worst cars we ever built, but the end result has been far better cars than we could have ever imagined.

Diesel technology will be the same.  Some hard to swallow growing pains but dramatic efficiencies in the end.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline joel_newton

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 06:43:57 PM »
Back in the 70s when you drove on the Bay Area freeways, after a few minutes your eyes were watering and you were coughing from the fumes.  No so now.  Occasionally now you get this overwhelming aroma of raw gas.  What do you see - an old muscle car puking fumes.   Yup, getting there is tough and expensive but the end result is good.  And, yes, I think we should continue to grandfather the old muscle/classic cars and diesels not in commercial use.  There's not that many left.    There are bigger fish to fry.
1998 Dina Viaggio 1000
Detroit Series 60, Allison B500
Near Santa Rosa, California

Offline Oregonconversion

• Somethingforever.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 03:27:52 AM »
Why does an exhaust cost $14K?
1977 MC8
8V92 HT740

Offline DaveNCari

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 05:39:11 AM »
Engineers would build better stuff regardless of what the Government did.....

All Government getting involved does is stop interesting technologies OTHER than the Government approved method (those made by the politically connected) and make everything more expensive!

Come on folks...... Government is absolutely a net negative in our society.....especially in the "information age" it is becoming irrelevant..... BUT....we have given it so much power.....that it will be difficult to unravel.....

In Liberty, (or what passes for it today)

Dave
Coming soon.....need of a bus-friendly RV park.....that values Liberty!

Watch this space....

Offline belfert

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 07:37:56 AM »
Government only mandated the parts per million of nitrous oxide that could be emitted.  They have not mandated any particular technology to do so.  Engineers are free to come up with any solution that works and will sell.

If government should be regulating exhaust emissions and other pollution and to what extent is a political discussion best not done here.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 07:45:38 AM »
I do know new bus converters are having to deal with lost space to convert because of extra room used by the emissions systems. I just passed on the turbo leak cost because it floored me as excessive to replace exhaust because it got some oil in it. Was warranty! They do not keep equipment long enough to let it expire.  I get equipment well after it has expired --98yr bus.  Again this was a family member and not hear say or second hand.  Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline DaveNCari

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 07:53:10 AM »
Rather than the new Diesel regs... I was speaking of the spark ignition stuff referenced above...

We would not "still be adjusting points and carbs" if not for EPA... Formula One and Indycar and more would have seen to the development of digital fuel injection and ignition control and these technologies would have found their way into production cars just as the pentroof 4 valve DOHC architecture that is the core of the modern high mileage/low emission car...is a direct copy of the 1967 Cosworth DFV Formula One engine...

Then...how 'bout this one... If not for DOT and EPA rules... (the ones mandating millions of dollars in testing before granting permission to sell your new car....but

There would be hundreds of small car companies building extremely eco-friendly vehicles...but this cost means if you are not going to sell 100,000 of a car...or sell it for a ridiculous price...you cannot be a car company...

It would be an incredibly easy engineering exercise (lots easier than Firestone Indy Lights) to build a 100 mpg 2 seat series-hybrid diesel car...and a regulatory nightmare to put it into production and actually get PAID for the work.....

Dave
Coming soon.....need of a bus-friendly RV park.....that values Liberty!

Watch this space....

Offline gus

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »
All you right wingers forgot to blame Clinton, Obama, Biden and Pelosi also!!

Too bad Kennedy is dead so you can't blame him also!!
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal