Author Topic: $15,000 oil seal leak turbo!  (Read 14778 times)

Offline TomC

Re: $15,000 oil seal leak turbo!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 03:55:23 PM »
All I have to say to my liberal friends-let's talk in 4 years.

I just read that the 2010 engine technology using DEF has surpassed all expectations and they are doing about 20% above what was expected. The trucks now are 60 times cleaner then a 1988 model and they are getting at least 5% better fuel mileage. Now with the GHG14 standards (Green House Gas), we are within sight of seeing a 10mpg 80,000lb truck. Over 9mpg is being seen with the new trucks-so the technology is working. Yes there are mishaps that cost money, but this is why we're strongly suggesting all new truck and bus buyers to get extra warranties. With the maximum 5yr/500,000mi Vehicle, 5yr/500,000mi Detroit EW4, and 5 year extended warranty tow, that will cost about $11,300.00 extra. Sounds like alot? Divide $11,300.00 by 500,000mi and it costs you 2.26 cents/mile! When I was driving, I used 10 cents a mile for maintenance as a rule of thumb. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
TomC,
No one can talk to a liberal, they get  hystrical, start calling you racist.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline DaveNCari

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »
One of the many nice things about being a Libertarian is you get to be equally displeased with both Team D and Team R.....

1996 and 2000 LP Presidential candidate Harry Browne used to say..."Would you trade your favorite Govt program for the complete elimination of the income tax?"

There are only a VERY few things....conveniently written out nicely in the Constitution...that Government does BETTER than other options...

I am a space geek...my dad was an Engineer consulting with NASA for decades... IT is absolutely my favorite Govt program...but here are some numbers...

A Shuttle turnaround...between $985,000,000 and $1,200,000,000 every time we heard "You are GO for autosequencer start..."

Burt Rutan's SpaceShip One...the first privately funded spacefilght...

They built the launch carrier vehicle... they built the spacecraft...did the atmospheric testing...and flew it to space 4 times.....for $25,000,000!

There is the perfect example of the inefficiencies of Government...

And why I want it the &^%$ out of my life.....and everyone else's too...

Dave
Coming soon.....need of a bus-friendly RV park.....that values Liberty!

Watch this space....

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »
Yes on the Burt Rutan feats, I  have been a follower of his for 25+ years, always amazed at some of his creations.
We need more of his type.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Brassman

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »
The regulations caused some serious pain in the seventies with some of the worst cars we ever built, ....

My vote for the worst '70's car is a Vega with an automatic transmission. ;D

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 05:46:02 AM »
OK, we can drift a little bit into the political arena.

I agree, there should be some exemptions for experimental and low production vehicles, we could probably work on that.

Racing has contributed a great deal to automobile design but emissions and fuel efficiency are probably not high on the list.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline DaveNCari

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 05:52:22 AM »
The reason a Honda Fit or a Toyota Eco gets such good mileage and low emissions is because decades of racing experience have showed them how to make engines of extremely high volumetric efficiency.....this is how you win races...

The same ideas.....applied to highway cars.....make for smaller engines.....lighter weights...better aero efficiency....and much more.... so.....racing his the PRIMARY factor in the efficiency of the modern car.....NOT some silly government stooge telling engineers how to build stuff.....period...

Dave

Watch this space....

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 06:24:39 AM »
.....NOT some silly government stooge telling engineers how to build stuff.....period...

As Belfert correctly pointed out before, the Government doesn't tell engineers HOW to build stuff - it limits what can and cannot be built - and that's a good thing, because without limits engineers inevitably get their priorities all screwed up.

The best form of regulation is always through the market, but the market (and society in general) very often needs to be led in the right direction, and a major part of the Government's purpose is to do that leading. Think about vehicle safety for example - car manufacturers didn't start fitting seatbelts because the market demanded them - they started fitting them because of legislation. But now the market has followed that lead and safety generally is a big selling factor - for instance airbags aren't required by legislation, but they are demanded by the market.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline kaptar

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 08:09:27 AM »
Maybe some people need to be led. Me not so much. If you are being led by our current leadership be carefull of the sudden stop when you hit bottom. The term leadership is being used very loosely.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 08:55:56 AM »
Maybe some people need to be led. Me not so much.

It's not about personal egos, it's about common sense - would you really rather the Government not lead food producers (for example) in what they can and cannot sell to the consumer? Being led on the type of issues we're talking about here is necessary and healthy for individuals and society - it's not about giving up your free will or being emasculated in any way. Although idiot organ donors motorcyclists who insist on their right not wear helmets might disagree I suppose.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline DaveNCari

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 05:16:29 PM »
Of course it is about control Jeremy.....

It is rather simple....either you own yourself and what you produce...or you do NOT...

And...if you do not... Who does? And...doesn't that make you a slave?

There is another answer...there should be noone in a Government suit that can tell a food producer what to produce or how to do so...

But...there should be a number of Guilds and Associations that have their own set of rules that their members must use...if you want someone else to do you due diligence for you...pick the Guild that suits your level of concern...

There should NOT be someone sitting there using their power to say "NO...you can't start that business there...or that way...or without being rich enough...or all of the other ways that Government gets in the way....

Look at aviation...the homebuilt airplane market is the only part of the General Aviation market that is growing... Why? Because it costs MILLIONS to get the silly piece of paper from the FAA you need to sell your new design as a complete airplane... Of course you can sell it as a kit...but that cuts your potential market to those technically capable of building an airplane...and that also have the time and money.....

The helmet laws you speak of are a perfect example...I, personally, as a retired motorcycle roadracer (someone that has hit the ground at 162mph) and crewchief will not ride a motorcycle across a parking lot without full racing gear...but if someone is stupid enough to want to ride their Yamaha R1 175mph totally naked.....NOT MY BUSINESS.....or yours...

In Liberty,

Dave

Watch this space....

Offline DaveNCari

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »
Oh yes...and for Government not telling engineers how to build stuff....

I give you the 1980's track-in-door seatbelts...mandated by FedCo DoT "to help make us safe"....they cut idiots heads off because they would not attach the lap belts...

No Automotive Engineer would possibly have come up with this idea....only a Government is capable of such idiocy!

Dave

Watch this space....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal