Author Topic: Acrylic countertop  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Mike in GA

Acrylic countertop
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »
I am having a hard time in the ATL area finding any retail outlet that will sell me Corian or Solid Surface acrylic material that I can fabricate in my woodshop for use on the bus. Table tops, counter, vanity, etc. They want me to use a certified contractor to create the tops. I know lots of you guys have this kind of material in your buses but I can't believe it's always done by a vendor.
Any thoughts?
Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline sledhead

Re: Acrylic countertop
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 03:51:44 PM »
Try the formica brand of solid surface .I had to send one of my guys to a one day course to be certified in order to sell and install the product.Its easy to use just like 2 part apoxy,but dusty as hell.                      dave  
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »
Best for you is find a Habitat for Humanity store and find and buy what you want (used),I ran into the same problem when trying to buy Caesar Stone or Corian 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »
Hey Mike,

These guys play the same game as the Air conditioning and Swimming pool folks.  They wont sell to anyone but a licensed contractor.

Depending on how much you need, you can probably buy drops (excess that is cut off) from the local manufacturer.

I went by a few of the local granite guys and they were more than happy to give me a great deal on the drops.  

I found plenty of pieces big enough to do what I wanted.  Lots of waste in those L shape tops.  The cut to my size and polished for cheap.

Used it as filler work for there crew and I picked up in a couple of weeks.  Patience saves...

Best of luck!

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
If you know any Contractors in your area just ask them to purchase what you need. Normally after people find out how you have to cut it and or edge it they don't want to so they use something else, or they don't have the right tools to deal with it. So they only deal with contractors so they don't have to replace piece because someone didn't know what they were doing.

But if you know how, just go to HD and you can order what you want from them and tell them what the measurements are and what edge you want. Remember that if you have walls on each end it makes it a lot simpler than have to edge a peice.

HTH Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
We like the quartz stone tops better than the Corian fwiw, check Northwest RV Surplus in Eugene Or they had sheets of new Corian for 100 bucks each it looked to be 8 or 10ft shipping maybe a problem unless you could get bus people involved 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline sledhead

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 05:40:48 AM »
All the solid sur. is easy to cut or sand or route .you can use a jigsaw .The problem is you have to have a special culking gun,tips for the 2 part glue. I would go to a kit,bath or c top shop and ask to see there off cuts,ask for a cash price .cash always works on left overs .but you will have to bring a exact template of what you want (1/4 " ply or like )    dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline belfert

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 08:48:58 AM »
Check out Craigslist for leftover pieces of Corian.  If you have large stretches of counters that have have to match it might be an issue, but buses often have short counters.  I saw an ad yesterday for a really cheap piece of Corian, but it is an ugly green color.  A shop special ordered it for a customer and it was never picked up.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 02:55:45 PM »
We went to our local ReStore and bought an 8 foot length of corian with double stainless undermount sink attached for $70. I would check the restores

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline crown

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 06:17:52 PM »
 check cragislist we got 3 large pieces one is 10 ft long all for $50 will be picking up in fl. in dec.
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline Mike in GA

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 09:21:21 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check the various websites, and will also talk with local contractors about cut-offs, etc.
Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal