Author Topic: Alaskan road trip!  (Read 11875 times)

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
Alaskan road trip!
« on: November 27, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »
Hey all you Alaskan busnuts, my best friend wants to drive his girl friends civic from Vegas to Anchorage via Haines by ferry then Tok then to Anchorage, starting tommorrow, can two guys from LV get thru this storm? Any thoughts? Lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
Re: Alaskan road trip!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
They have suitable identification for crossing the border?

The girlfriend realizes the mileage about to be put on her car?

A decent set of snow tires would be a bonus, but these sort of adventures usually preclude spending money like that.
As long as the tires are on the better side of half worn, that'll do. Any experience driving in snow? Sand doesn't count.

Nothing better than a road trip!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 06:34:06 PM »
Hi Buswarrior, yes got snow tires on the car, I'm kinda worried about engine freezing, gonna stop in montana first nite, see if engine block heaters available there, none available in LV, ha! Lvmci...

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
LV, if they have never driven in snow, that is a concern. Folks from warm areas on snow are downright scary. Met way to many of them, when I have stopped to see if they are okay.

I would also make sure that they have starting fluid. I have no idea how cold it will get, but even around -15 could possibly have issues, with no block heater. I assume that they have already done so, but what about the battery. Should have a brand new, big as they can get in there, battery. That will help them some too. If it will be 0 and above, shouldn't have issues anyways. Only other thing would be chains. Not really needed, BUT they can really help if they get into deep snow, and if they are unfamiliar with driving in snow. Downside is, if you lose a chain, it can do a lot of damage.

I don't even know what snow is like right now on the route, or what the temps will be like....just some thoughts.

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 07:01:21 PM »
I doubt a Honda Civic will accept chains. If the weather is that bad, the low body clearance just means you go a bit further and get high centred under the belly. Park it and wait.

Good advice, a fresh battery is good.
Antifreeze a bit stronger than 50%, prove the protection to -35/-40 with the tester, and that's it.
Starting fluid isn't much good to a gasoline engine, they fire on their own or you got trouble.

Block heaters need a place to plug in, I wouldn't bother, the car will start on its own, unless it is completely shot, in which case, it won't get there anyway...

I might think about a fresh fuel filter, if the car hasn't had regular maintenance.

Same thing with a fresh set of wiper blades, and some fresh windshield anti-freeze too, drain out any of that summer bug soap cleaner, it has no freeze protection.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline opus

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 08:27:44 PM »
If you have to drive with chains, you shouldnt be driving. :)
1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.

Offline Boomer

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
When you leave Haines heading north toward Haines Jct. you are going to cross into BC for just a few miles, then enter the Yukon.  Ask at Canadian Customs what the road conditions are like on the pass ahead of you, because it is a REAL pass and the wind can blow like hell up there.  Watch the trucks coming south and see how much snow is packed on them, if any.  There is a truckstop cafe northbound before you enter no mans land, check in there too for the road conditions.  If a storm is blowing up there, take my advise and wait it out down in the valley.  No services till Haines Jct. and that is some real big country up there.  Highway dept. does take real good care of the road though, both sides of the border but it can blow shut in nothing flat in a bad storm.  Another route is stay on the ferry to Skagway, then go up over White Pass to Whitehorse, you will be on the Alaska Highway then a well traveled road.  About the same miles as the Haines Hwy.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline sdc53

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 01:36:56 AM »
I've been all thru that part of the world, my Dad lives in Tok. You are taking the ferry from Bellingham?  It's -35 in Tok right now.

None of this presents any problems for the locals, but you will want to assume the car will break down in the middle of nowhere and carry cold-weather survival gear and food.  Everything that can freeze, will.  Days are shorter there now, too.  Cars are commonly plugged in when not running.  Not sure how your batteries, oil, coolant, etc are gonna like being that cold (assuming you don't have a block heater).

I'd go in the summer :). Then you can include a trip thru Dawson city, Yukon and take the top-of-the-world highway thru chicken into Tok and on to anchorage, etc.  That highway closes in the wintertime.
Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 05:58:24 AM »
change oil to good synthetic, at least 5w30...or 0w30 if that is recommended ok weight for engine.
 Mainly, wait till after June 1st of next year.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 06:42:08 AM »
Thanks Guys, we're leaving today, twin falls tonite, I hope to get a block heater there, can't get one in LV, I have to be back to work in LV so there is a time deadline, back on the 5th, my friend is from Neb & lived in Chicago before LV, I'm  a Vegas boy, so I'll be really cold, I'll suggest Skagway, his grandfather was one of the founders of that town, I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for all the suggestions, tom, lvmci...

Offline Le Mirage

• Le Mirage XL 1987
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 06:57:47 AM »
Check this video. I live in Quebec, Canada. I born in the snow. Have winter tire is not enough. Experience too.....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oFkw5JFOmHk
Gaƫtan & Manon (french canadian)
Prevost, Le Mirage XL, 1987
Quebec, Canada

http://latchodromquebec.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-fin-du-voyage.html

Offline akbusguy2000

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 07:42:50 AM »
Snow tires on the back?  Honda civic has front wheel drive!

tg

Offline TomC

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 07:53:51 AM »
I drove truck for 21 years-carried chains but never hung them-they are still in their new boxes. Pure and simple-wait till around May to do this. Driving in severe winter weather isn't just a pain-it can be life threatening if you slide off the road in a white out and no one sees you go off the road. Tell her you'll do it in the spring. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Van

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 08:07:14 AM »
Tom have a safe trip! Gee, I still have all my arctic gear from the military that you could have borrowed. Be sure and down load the weatherbug App for your smart phone, radar, storm warning alerts and much more are available for free. Safe trip!

B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 08:44:49 AM »
Check this video. I live in Quebec, Canada. I born in the snow. Have winter tire is not enough. Experience too.....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oFkw5JFOmHk

I have to find a grocery store that delivers because I'm never leaving the house again. :o

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal