Author Topic: Jakes sticking on - buffer switch?  (Read 8388 times)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: Jakes sticking on - buffer switch?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 04:56:46 AM »
Clifford, I'll be completely honest, when I got my DD tune-up tools and finally set the starting aid on my engine, I did it using the #2 injector on the left hand bank, because I thought that the banks were left and right from the front.  It worked fine, I think, but when I reset it I did it on the right hand bank because I was removing the throttle delay damper and just checked the starting aid while I had all the turbo hoses and valve cover off.  Since all the starting aid does is set the injector racks at a certain point when the engine isn't running, and since the whole point of running the rack is to set all the injector racks identically, I just can't think of a reason why it makes a difference.  Maybe it has to do with the tool being right handed in how it fits onto the injector rack or something.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that the throttle delay damper is on #2 right hand side, if you have a throttle delay damper, I think you need to set the injector rack to a certain point to adjust the damper so you would be there anyway.  Good tip that it affects shut-down, though.

Here is a picture of the underside of the top plate of the governor.  In front with the big return spring is the engine shut down lever, in back is the engine speed control lever

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline lostagain

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 07:29:33 AM »
That Detroit lope for the first few seconds after a cold start always brings a smile to my face. Brings back old memories... My old LG cell phone had a feature where you could record something and use it as a ring tone. I had that loping Detroit every time someone called, and my motorcycle idling for texts. I can't do that with my IPhone, too bad.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline sdc53

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of my governor cover and jake buffer switch.

On the gov, the bottom is my throttle and air throttle cylinder.  On the top, is that my emergency shutdown flapper?  At the very top the buffer switch is barely poking out.
At the bottom right there is a grease-covered cylinder.. Is that my regular fuel shutdown that was discussed earlier?  Or is that the top lever?

Is this the "old style" buffer switch?  Does it come apart as previously discussed?

Scott
'69 4107
Gladstone, OR
Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 05:01:20 AM »
The upper lever with the air cylinder to activate it is your engine stop lever.  It is not the emergency shut-down flap, which (if you have one) is usually inside the air intake on top of the blower.

Your buffer switch is different than mine, so I have only guesses as to what you could do next.  Have you done any testing at all to see if it is actually the part that is sticking, or something else?  If you put a test light on it, you should be able to see it switch when you rotate that engine stop lever all the way clockwise.  There should be power on one side and no power on the other side normally.  If it has failed, then you have to change it, which probably means disturbing the buffer adjustment, so you had better find someone who knows how to adjust the buffer before you take it out.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal