Author Topic: Replacing Vista windows on MCI7  (Read 5114 times)

Offline LowTide

Replacing Vista windows on MCI7
« on: December 06, 2012, 05:32:41 PM »
We are planing on repainting the coach in the near future and have a few things that need attention before we proceed, with that said, I am preparing to replace the vista windows in our MCI7 and would like to know if anyone has attempted this.

My plan is to remove the window (acrylic or lexan) and rubber seal. I then plan to fabricate an aluminum piece (one piece) that conforms to the existing shape of the visible opening and pop rivet it to the outside edge of the opening where the rubber trim used to be. If this is doable, what rivet should be used for this procedure 2SF 3/16 x 3/8 or?
I think I may be in the market for some new tools..........LOL

I had thought about fiberglass but fiberglass just doesn’t do well with aluminum or at least that is my understanding.

I have tried the search function on a few forums and can not seem to find the information I am looking for, especially anything to do with MCI7 vista windows. I also searched the net in hopes to get something. I might not be using correct search terms, so I thought I would run this issue and my idea by some of you.

If anyone has dealt with MCI7 vista windows and has another idea please feel free to share. I am open to any ideas.

Thanks
Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"
"Just Misbehavein' "

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"

Offline wg4t50

Re: Replacing Vista windows on MCI7
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 07:37:41 PM »
Mike, I responded to this on the BNO site, but I covered that with a front cap, never a problem but I later regretted it, as I liked the original look of the MCI7.  did the rear cap also, liked that one.
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 08:38:04 PM »
Mike,

I don't have a '7, but do have a 4905 with the vista view windows.  My one was Plexi and the other broken (I think OOPS by me but don't tell the wife) and both were painted over on the outside when I got the bus.  I like the "bus" look and am going to maintain it. 

So, I bought a pair of NOS windows(made from Unobtainium) and new seals from Luke, and replaced the pair myself.  The benefit is that it lets more light into the living/kitchen area of my coach, and makes it seem less like a 40' long metal tube!  The dark tint(factory) keeps folks from looking in, but doesn't really block that much light if you're looking out.

I did cover over my destination window with steel(the front cap is steel), and used pop rivets(3/32 dia) I think.  The only problem I encountered is that the lip is not that wide, maybe 1/4", so keeping the rivet holes away from either edge was a challenge, and in fact some are on the very edge of the material, but I used plenty(and of course glued it too) , so it shouldn't ever be a problem.

I imagine the vista windows for a '7 are hard to find, but worth it!

Remember ---It is yours, so you can do it your own way!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline LowTide

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »
Mike,

I don't have a '7, but do have a 4905 with the vista view windows.  My one was Plexi and the other broken (I think OOPS by me but don't tell the wife) and both were painted over on the outside when I got the bus.  I like the "bus" look and am going to maintain it. 

So, I bought a pair of NOS windows(made from Unobtainium) and new seals from Luke, and replaced the pair myself.  The benefit is that it lets more light into the living/kitchen area of my coach, and makes it seem less like a 40' long metal tube!  The dark tint(factory) keeps folks from looking in, but doesn't really block that much light if you're looking out.

I did cover over my destination window with steel(the front cap is steel), and used pop rivets(3/32 dia) I think.  The only problem I encountered is that the lip is not that wide, maybe 1/4", so keeping the rivet holes away from either edge was a challenge, and in fact some are on the very edge of the material, but I used plenty(and of course glued it too) , so it shouldn't ever be a problem.

I imagine the vista windows for a '7 are hard to find, but worth it!

Remember ---It is yours, so you can do it your own way!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Steve,

I spoke with Luke and these windows are a thing of the past and I would be real lucky to find any. I will come up with something. I think I will fill the whole area in and block the light while keeping the lines of the body. We are in Arizona and that will just add to the heat in the coach if I use lexan and let the light come in. I could be wrong about the heat, but it gets hot as he!!......LOL

Thanks for the input
Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline ol713

• ol713
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 03:24:07 PM »
Hi;
   Why do you want to remove those windows?  I also have a MC-7
   and like them.
                        Merle.

Offline LowTide

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 04:54:32 AM »
Hi;
   Why do you want to remove those windows?  I also have a MC-7
   and like them.
                        Merle.

The windows are not original and were replaced prior to the last person who owned the coach. Beings these windows are next to impossible to find, I am looking into alternatives to replace them.

If I can get away with new lexan then I can fabricate this down at the shop. My concern is getting this water tight. The rubber appears to be in decent shape so there is a possibility to re using it.
If the rubber is no good, then I see no other way than to (professionally) close the window in while maintaining the lines of the coach. I do not like caps and will not even consider this avenue.
The window that is in there now has a couple of small leaks (drips) and I want to give attention to this before it becomes a larger problem.

Thanks for your reply!
Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 05:33:16 AM »
Hi Mike,
Those windows were a major source of heat here on the East Coast when we had your bus. I tried a number of different things but we finally decided to sheet them over with metal & foam insulate below. Of course, I didn't get that done. You will remember there is a small leak there somewhere that I think is in the rubber gasket. It was there when we bought the bus & it was there when you bought it too. I never could find it.

My advice is to think about what you want to do in terms of heat & fixing that leak.

Tell Lori hi for Phyllis & me! Hope you guys are doing well.

TOM
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline LowTide

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 06:07:23 AM »
Hi Mike,
Those windows were a major source of heat here on the East Coast when we had your bus. I tried a number of different things but we finally decided to sheet them over with metal & foam insulate below. Of course, I didn't get that done. You will remember there is a small leak there somewhere that I think is in the rubber gasket. It was there when we bought the bus & it was there when you bought it too. I never could find it.

My advice is to think about what you want to do in terms of heat & fixing that leak.

Tell Lori hi for Phyllis & me! Hope you guys are doing well.

TOM

I remember us discussing this and we did feel some of the heat once we hit the Texas area and it was in the 90's. I can't imagine what it would feel like when it is 118+....LOL.

As you mentioned, there are a couple of very small leaks or maybe I should say drops we get she gets some rain. It is hard to say where it is coming from but I thought we would tend to this before we give her the new paint job.

It would be nice to have the windows or replacements that would keep the appearance of the original ones. I could then insulated from the inside with spray in foam and back it up with a panel from the inside to cut down on the heat issue.

If the above is not doable, then I figured we would close the entire window area (fabricated aluminum panel) while maintaining the original lines or appearance of the coach. I would also fabricate a panel for the inside to sandwich the foam insulation.
I could have a buddy of mine who owns a body shop to seal it in and we do the inside duties of sealing her up.

Lori says to send hugs your way, we always seem to be talking about yall and we do miss you folks. Heck, we would love to be there, but it is just too could for our watery blood...LOL

Happy Holidays!

Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline BlakeWright

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 03:36:20 PM »
If you look in the parts manual, the MC7 used three different "Roof Lights" (vista), a Double Glazed Acrylic panel, a Single Glazed Acrylic panel, and Royalex Insulated panel.  I believe most of the 'hounds' used the insulated panels and you should have better luck finding a used set of these panels than the acrylic ones.

Blake

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal