Author Topic: Building a bus garage/shop  (Read 26858 times)

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
Building a bus garage/shop
« on: December 06, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
Getting started on my dream shop/bus garage.  Anyone interested in a project thread from beginning to end?  If so, should I post it here or bus projects forum?  I figure at my speed it will take me about 2-3 months to complete.

David

Offline wg4t50

Re: Building a bus garage/shop
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 07:39:44 PM »
I had a 40 X 60 garage built with a 14 X 14 door and a 10 X 10 door, only regret  too small, had a MCI7 at the time, filled up quick.
Good luck
Dave
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »
David,

I would 100% follow a project thread. Please do. The project section would be the ideal spot for it.

I hope it goes well for you!

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Midwilshire

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:34:49 PM »
I'd follow it with interest.  Please do.
Michael & Gigi
1978 MCI-5C "Silverliner"
Full-timers in the DC area

Offline sdc53

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:55:11 PM »
I would be interested, so I vote yes.  Include materials budgets if you can..
Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »
Yup, do it!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline scanzel

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:24:49 AM »
This might be a good article for the BCM. It would give everyone getting the magazine something to see and dream about. Good way to help the magazine out with articles. We all need to contribute to BCM, otherwise it may fail.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline crown

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 05:17:58 AM »
 sounds good to me we just broke ground on our bus  garage but we are off to fl. tomarow
so will get back to working on it in mid jan. mine will be simple being build useing 90 0/0
recyled matrials john
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 06:14:00 AM »
It would be be of great interest to me if 'building' actually involves fabricating and then erecting the structure yourself - but not so much if it means buying a standard building and then paying someone to put it up for you.

I've thought quite hard about putting up a barn for my bus, but while I've done a good job on some fairly large sheds in the past, the height of a bus barn scares me a bit.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 06:18:06 AM »
It would be be of great interest to me if 'building' actually involves fabricating and then erecting the structure yourself - but not so much if it means buying a standard building and then paying someone to put it up for you.

I've thought quite hard about putting up a barn for my bus, but while I've done a good job on some fairly large sheds in the past, the height of a bus barn scares me a bit.

Jeremy

If you are going with 14' doors, then you are going to get into some "serious height" issues.  It can get intimidating when you have nothing between you and the rafters but concrete.

BCO

Offline PCC

• Serving Those Who Have Served
    • Serving Project, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 06:51:58 AM »
GO FOR IT !!!

I have a design for one for my vehicle/s, so you start yours and tell us all the things you do, then we will learn all those ideas we forgot to think about !!  LOL

With pleasure, I would love to see what you are doing, in Oregon (I presume). Winter protection will be something to consider, right?
For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »
If you are going with 14' doors, then you are going to get into some "serious height" issues.  It can get intimidating when you have nothing between you and the rafters but concrete.

BCO

My bus is something of a baby in that 12' doors would still give me almost 6" of clearance - but that's still plenty high enough to be way outside my comfort zone as a DIY shed builder.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »
One reason I used the 14' X 14' Overhead Doors (electric) and the 8" min.  4000 concrete with both fiberglass and steel, 72 yards,    after I no longer need it, someone might like to have a truck or dozer or who knows, so I felt like doing it correct the first time, I have too much experience with hind sight, trying to get ahead a little for once.
Great low bay lighting, well lite up, and all my air toys, jacks, wrenches, etc etc.
Since  the MCI is gone, feels empty with the Foretravel & not needing work.
Joy
Dave
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »
David are you using a pre/fab metal or wood frame building metal is the way to go IMO I used 14x10 doors wish I would have went with 12 wide doors ,14 ft tall doors are not a problem in a 16 foot tall metal building fwiw
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline sledhead

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Please post updates as you go                                                                                       On mine its 32' x 48' x 15' high.One 12'8"h x 12' w roll up door , a 8' h x 10' w roll up door. I put in a pit 4' x 8' x 30" deep the only down side is the cost to heat it is more then my house (don't tell my wife ) But in the end it is worth every penny to go out to work on the bus when its sub zero out side .                 dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal