Author Topic: Best place to buy tires?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline 5B Steve

Best place to buy tires?
« on: December 12, 2012, 04:31:36 PM »

Looking to put a new set on mine, any good place. I know it will depend on what kind , miles driven, size, ect.

Mine is a 1975 MCI-5B  11RX22.5 on it now.  I've put about 3500 miles on it in the last 8 years.  "WHY DO I EVEN

OWN A BUS" LOL!!!!!

Steve 5B...... Thanks.

Offline lostagain

Re: Best place to buy tires?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
I get used tires from a friend of mine with transport trucks. About 50-60% tread, 1-2 years old, for the price of the casings, (what he would get on trade at the tire shop). My bus rarely sees snow as I don't use it in the winter, so it works for me. 5 years later or so when I am done with them, there is still almost as much tread on them. When we start running South in the winter, I might want better tires, but up until now, this has worked well.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
Hi Steve, I also buy used tires from a commercial tire dealer. I live in LV & LA, our biggest issue is dry rot, checking and aging out. It makes sense to me to buy tires used for 1/4 the price, when I will never use even the majority of the tread that the previous bus or truck  left on the tires, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:00:11 PM »
Just for grins, IF your a member of FMCA, they have a program with Michelin, can save you enough to make it very worth while.  IF your using Michelin, I never did on the MCI, I used all the normal you see on trucks, 11R X 24.5 about 480 RPMile X 3.73 X ,73 OD, worked great with the DD.
Gear Head
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:39:49 AM »
Steve B.

Take a look here.

http://www.atp4you.net/--TIRES-FACTORY-DR.html

I don't know much about them. Only called and spoke with an agent. Seemed to be OK to me.

I will contact them when I need tires.

Good Luck,

Joe
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline 5B Steve

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »
Steve B.

Take a look here.

http://www.atp4you.net/--TIRES-FACTORY-DR.html

I don't know much about them. Only called and spoke with an agent. Seemed to be OK to me.

I will contact them when I need tires.

Good Luck,

Hi Joe, That's a good website, I will call them tomorrow ( If open ) and see what they say.

Thanks again for the info.

Steve 5B......

Joe

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »
I have a price sheet somewhere. Probably not current, although it was this year, 2012.

I think I called the number and was connected to my areas servicing rep. He emailed the prices including delivery to my zipcode.

I especially liked that replacement tires could be delivered virtually anywhere in North America!

Joe
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 10:51:48 PM »
I tried to buy used tires in the Chicago area last year  from fleet service operators, bus shops, etc.,   no luck.  Eventually had to go with brand new.  Buying used for drive, tags made sense to me as well.  Didn't seem like it would be giving up safety as dry rot is more of a concern than the tires actually wearing out.   Would be nice to find a way to actually buy used in certain circumstances.  Not sure I would ever do for steer tires however.

Kind Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal