Author Topic: Tire tread design?  (Read 9927 times)

Offline 5B Steve

Tire tread design?
« on: December 14, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »

Hello again,     

I have another question to go along with my previous post ( Where is a good place to buy tires? ) What type

of tread is Standard, less road noise, traction, etc. If this will be of any help I use my bus 2-3 times a year.

Steve 5B.......

Offline Utahclaimjumper

Re: Tire tread design?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »
The rears could be any that you desire, aggresive or mild street,, the fronts should be only "steer" tires.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Ralph7

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »
         My front tires are steer tires , Michlian,  XZE, but my drives have a solid side with mud/snow  center section. They have traction, but not noisy. Ask a dealer to show you, mine are Hankook,  EHT,  12x22.5 .

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:21:48 PM »
If your running a good amount of hp, I would suggest straight tread on both steer and drive, reason, I once had the aggressive traction set on the drive, with the 12V-71 & 8V-92 (600 hp) the tires had a wear pattern of lookng like a aggressive saw blade, very sharpe angle vs flat when new, when changed to straight tread, they just wore straight.
As usual do what makes you happy
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:37:36 PM »
We have steer tires all around, but we do not do snow and ice.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »
Bus campers do lawns and other off road surfaces...

With a set of steer tires all around, it is easier to get stuck on a wet lawn...

however

with lugged tires it is easier to dig it in to the axles when the tires are carelessly spun on the wet lawn...

Steer tires all around means tires may be rotated/matched as time goes on to compensate for flats/adding a new tire or spreading tire acquisitions over a few years, newest tires may go on the steer, rotate the rest further back.

My next set?

Whatever combination will work in negotiations with a trucker to run the rest of the life out of them, before or after my turn, in combination or alone with another busnut... 18 wheelers have 8 drives and two steers...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline lostagain

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »
If you don't need snow or mud tires, like summer driving on pavement mostly, an all-position tire like steer tires all around would be best. I find on my 5C, the drivers wear slightly faster than the steers. I had them all off recently for maintenance, so I was able to rotate them around the bus. You would not be able to do that if your drivers were different than your steers.

The biggest part of that job was to clean and polish the aluminum rims because what used to be inside and dirty, is now facing outside and needs to be presentable. Pride in your ride you know...

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline Taibob

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »

jc

??? ??? ???  almost had me thinking   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Merry Christmas.....   Taibob
84 mci 9  8v71n N70 Jakes 740 auto 2 Slides    BC/AB Canada

Offline TomC

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
Funny thing about tire tread design. We had a new salesman order a Freightliner truck with traction drive tires all around. I drove the truck and surprisingly didn't feel any difference in steering. Not saying to use traction tires on the front, but if you do have traction tires in the back and you have a blow out in the front, using one of the drive tires on the steering isn't going to be a big no-no.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 05:50:17 PM »
Each time I have replaced my tires, I replaced all eight with the same tire. I use all position tires.

I never had good luck with Michelins on the bus. I tried 2 sets and some replacements. After a Michelin dealer told me they weren't good bus tires, I quit using them on the bus. I had the same trouble on a motorhome.

I used the high profile type.

I have had many sets of Michelin's on my trucks, pickups, trailers and cars. They always performed well. I suppose that's why I kept trying them on the bus.

Having 27 trips from Alaska to as far south as Mazatlan, I can't quite wrap my mind around why someone would use "mudgrips" or other agressive tread on thier coach. Those of us that have bogies or tags that are not air operated soon learn to stay out of soft areas and off ice or snow.
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 09:08:01 AM »
Those of us that have bogies or tags that are not air operated soon learn to stay out of soft areas and off ice or snow.

And those of us with an air operated tag learn to not go onto soft areas also. Sometimes, as in very occasionally, dumping the tag can help. However, relying on a tag that can dump will get us into a world of hurt.
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline TomC

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Nothing like a dual drive tandem. That's one of the many reasons I'm converting my Kenworth.
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:05:53 PM »
Nothing like a dual drive tandem. That's one of the many reasons I'm converting my Kenworth.

True, Tom - but you just dig it in twice as fast on the soft stuff!

;D ;D
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline belfert

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »

Ever driven an empty dually pickup in the snow?  The back end will slide all over because each tire has less weight on it.  How does spreading the weight over more wheels help with traction?
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »
Works the same way a 4X4 in 4 wheel drive is always the first in the ditch.
Or large tires in snow, give me the skinny tires for mpg & traction on slick conditions..
We all learn best from sperience !!
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal