Author Topic: toilet recommendations?  (Read 13661 times)

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Re: toilet recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 06:14:56 AM »
Would most def use more water than an RV toilet but for those of us parked with a sewer connection all the time, it's no biggie. And actually the newer commodes are water misers compared to older models. The biggest issue is the toilet tank sloshing under way and the tank takes up more room for sure. Also, your toilet bowl water might slosh too. These are both easily drainable as well as water level adjustable so both issues could be overcome. I've considered modifying a conventional toilet by removing the tank and retrofitting the water line to a valve and hand lever. Not sure how that would all work,  but I'm running it through my brain.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline TomC

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 06:37:40 AM »
Scott-don't waste your time removing the tank from a house toilet. The tank is there because a toilet needs a sudden in flux of water that will raise the water up enough to start the siphoning effect (flushing). If you just hook up the water line to it, the water will just go in and will empty out of the bowl without creating the flushing effect. That's why commercial non tanked toilets have 1" lines going to them. You could use a commercial type, but they take alot more water then tanked. Get a house toilet that has "2-speeds". My toilet at home-if you push the handle down all the way, it does a short flush using maybe 2 quarts of water. If you push it and hold it in the middle of the travel, then it does the full 1.3 gallon flush.

Because of my positioning of the toilet, I'm probably going to use a Tecma Silence Plus macerater toilet. You can position it where you want, it only uses a 1.5" pipe, is quiet, will pump anywhere on the motorhome, has three different blocks so you'd never get any back order, it macerates so you get no clogging chunks. But- it is expensive ($1,100) and requires a 40 amp 12v circuit. I've seen the Tecma Silence Plus on many up scale motorhomes and yachts. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »
We spend too much time not hooked up to anything except electric, and not much of that.  Bill's thoughts on an electric toilet scare me- i don't plan on being without any electric, but what if a part fails. house systems seem out for same reason, no hook ups. macerator units - not built in, but maybe a unit for the dump hose later. Brassman got me thinking that no one has complained here about seating, so why change, then Tom added the traveler 510 is easy to change.  I guess we'll try that first, but holy stuff Batman, $40!  Better hold up for a while.

BW, as usual, funny and correct.  Thanks all for the thoughts.

Merry Christmas to all  and if you are not coming to the Rally, sorry about your luck.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 10:44:17 AM »
If you are considering a household toilet then the Flushmate might be worth looking into.  I have no experience with these but I think the theory lends itself well to our use.  No worries about water in the flush tank spilling.

http://www.flushmate.com/

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »
Hi Len, that flushmate looks great, seems you might be able to extend the plastic tank above or to the side or build it in a closet somehow and eliminate the ceramic tank from the bowl, maybe. Happy holidays, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »
Like I said, I installed a house toilet in my RTS 12 or so years ago, I have overcome most of the common concerns that people have about house toilets in RV's.  You can buy a regular house toilet for as little as $99  and it will be better than most of the RV toilets.  Here is the toilet I have in my bus (the same as my house):

http://www.lowes.com/pd_35099-20602-3386-0_0__?productId=1269839&Ntt=toilets&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtoilets&facetInfo=

There are several other toilets in various price ranges, you might want to try one out and if you don't like it it is easy to change.

P.S.  Turn the water off at the toilet and flush before you start driving, because the water will spill out of the tank, but not the bowl.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »
The Sealand 510 is one of the best out there..

Sorry to disagree with Grey, but we hated ours with passion. We could not stand it after the first six months. We replaced the seal quite a few times, it would maybe hold water for a few weeks. Then we would just try to live with it until we finally got frustrated enough to replace it again. We replaced and rebuilt the foot valve, I don't know how many times. Dometic kept sending us new kits, and it went on and on. I couldn't stand the thing! If you get a 510, you have been warned. I will say I told you so later.

However, we did replace it with the 310. I honestly had reservations about it, but we decided to give dometic another try. So far, we have about 8 months on it, and we haven't had any issues at all with it. There are NO serviceable parts on it. The seal goes bad, time for a new toilet. All tradeoffs.

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 04:08:47 PM »
John, i was told that the seal was replaceable on the 310, was easy to do and was cheap.  Gonna have to check into it a little closer and see if that is true or not.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

GreyEagle

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »
Sorry to disagree with Grey, but we hated ours with passion. We could not stand it after the first six months. We replaced the seal quite a few times, it would maybe hold water for a few weeks. Then we would just try to live with it until we finally got frustrated enough to replace it again. We replaced and rebuilt the foot valve, I don't know how many times. Dometic kept sending us new kits, and it went on and on. I couldn't stand the thing! If you get a 510, you have been warned. I will say I told you so later.

However, we did replace it with the 310. I honestly had reservations about it, but we decided to give dometic another try. So far, we have about 8 months on it, and we haven't had any issues at all with it. There are NO serviceable parts on it. The seal goes bad, time for a new toilet. All tradeoffs.

John

I replaced the one in my second motorhome with the Sealand 510, used it for over 2 years until we sold the motorhome, never a problem.
I guess there's a lemon in ever bunch...... maybe yours was build on a Monday or Friday....... or I was just lucky..
Best of luck whatever you do

Offline John316

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 04:33:14 PM »
John, i was told that the seal was replaceable on the 310, was easy to do and was cheap.  Gonna have to check into it a little closer and see if that is true or not.

Could be, Ed. That would be nice.

John

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
Here is the toilet I have in my bus (the same as my house):

http://www.lowes.com/pd_35099-20602-3386-0_0__?productId=1269839&Ntt=toilets&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtoilets&facetInfo=

this toilet gets poor reviews....[/
font]
P.S.  Turn the water off at the toilet and flush before you start driving, because the water will spill out of the tank, but not the bowl.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »
1.6 gallons a flush? For a house toilet. TOTO Japanese toilet #1=.09 gallons & #2 1.5 gallons it has two buttons on top!..

We have the Sealand 510 also. 58.00 for seal replacement kit, pretty simple.

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Van

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
John the 310 seal is around twenty bucs online
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »
Buy a good toilet never worry about a seal a rv fixture is a rv fixture any way you wrap it, me I don't like working on toilets lol that is why I buy a marine type
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline John316

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 10:56:29 AM »
John the 310 seal is around twenty bucs online

Sweet. Thanks Van. That is good news.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal