Author Topic: need a skinner valve  (Read 7062 times)

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
need a skinner valve
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:43:09 PM »
I'm having a heck of a time finding a Honeywell skinner valve #V5R51700 for my Eagle 10.  I've called several truck places and air brake parts houses with no luck.  No one seems to know what it is.  There a dozens on Ebay, but none will fit my application.   Where should I call to find this thing?

I can't get my bus started after it airs up without loosening the air line to the valve and releasing the pressure off the stop cam.  I've tried cleaning it but no go.  I feel kind of silly going out to the back end each time to start my bus,  kind of like cranking a Model T. 

David

luvrbus

Re: need a skinner valve
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 03:33:10 PM »
David try Hector in Dallas or Gary at B&B in Las Vegas or Bus Service at 888-287-3499 I think they are in Kansas you might try the Eagle group also, good luck

Offline tekebird

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »
I have three new skinner valves they are from GM's.  if you can cross reference and make sure they are correct drop me a note

Offline gus

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 09:03:13 PM »
teke,

What are the P/Ns of these valves and what GMC are they for?
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Stan

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 06:09:12 AM »
That part number does not appear in my Skinner catalogue. It may be a special made for somebody. The standard shut down valve is Skinner part number  V51DA2150 and yoiu have to speciffy the coil voltage and if dc or AC. The letter "D" will change if you have toi have a special electrical connection.

The standard valve is available in any large city that has a Skinner dealer. Look in th Yellow Pages under "Valves".

Offline gus

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 02:42:25 PM »
Stan,

Thanks, this info goes into my ref file.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Dreamscape

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 07:34:12 PM »
I deal with a Parker hydraulic dealer here in Burbank CA and they have a valve called a skinner valve. I am sure you could get the right one from them, wherever there is a dealer in your area.

They look very similar to the ones on our Eagle.

You will probably have to order one.

Paul

Offline Catskinner!

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 08:57:07 PM »
David

Call me I may have what you need.

Catskinner!
Sonnie Gray
903-815-2141

Offline David Anderson

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 02:03:33 PM »
Thanks Sonny,

Too late.  I ordered one from Jefferson Truck today.  It's on its way.  $83.00 plus exchange.  I couldn't find one in San Antonio anywhere.  That really surprised me.

David Anderson

Offline Stan

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 06:58:14 PM »
David: That surprises me. I used to buy Skinner valves from a dealer between the inner an outer loop close to IH37.  As I said previously, Skinner valve dealers are all over the world and most cities of any size have at least one.

I just spent five minutes on Google and found  Wilson Company in San Antonio is a dealer but may not have the valve in stock that you need.

Offline David Anderson

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 07:12:11 PM »
I probably didn't search well enough.  I tried Stewart/Stevenson, SA Truck, SA Brake and Clutch, my usual parts places with no success.  It's just as easy to get this from Jefferson or Luke @ US Coach.  I went with Jefferson because they're closer, the freight was less, and it will arrive tomorrow.

Thanks,

David

Offline Stan

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 05:39:59 AM »
Advice to everyone looking for parts that are unique to buses. There is almost no chance that truck dealers or parts houses will have them.

Usually the best source when you are in a hurry is a local bus company. Many of the parts were used by all the manufacturers over a period of many years.

A lot of air components (especially with DD- 3 brakes) are not used by trucks  A lot of electrical and electronic components are also unique. If you can't get it from a bus company, use the internet and Yellow Pages to find a distributor or dealer for the brand name ( eg: Bendix or Skinner). For electronic parts. go to an elctronics wholesale, not Radio Shack.

Fortuately, many parts are common to trucks and then usually the best price can be obtained from local dealers without paying air express to get it. When local sources fail you, do as David did and call  one of the bus wreckers for used parts or a bus garage (such as Luke) for new or used parts.

In my previous post I mentioned that Wilson Company (a Skinner Valve dealer0 may not have the exact valve for replacement. In each series of Skinner valves thare are hundreds of options to pick a valve number, However they will stock the rebuild kits at low cost and it only takes a few minutes to rebuild the valve. If the failure is the solenoid coil, it isn't even necessary to remove the valve from the bus to install a new coil.

Offline David Anderson

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »
Thanks, guys,

New valve installed this afternoon, old one returned to Jefferson for core credit.  Now the bus will start when it's aired up.

David

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal