Author Topic: Escape Route  (Read 13768 times)

Offline Sam 4106

Re: Escape Route
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:07 AM »
Harleyman-1000, a member of the Midwest Bus Nuts from Cedar Rapids, IA area has a GM 4106 with 8V71/Allison 730 automatic for sale. It was converted by his uncle and has a beautiful exterior. I don't remember much about the interior. If interested I can look up his contact information.

Good luck, Sam
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 07:52:56 AM »

I guess every one thinks I am wrong but I love to sleep with the windows open. A breeze through the coach is wonderful.
Removed the back door on huggy and put in a Penn. window. can now open both and get a nice breeze through.

Don't plan on having any problems.

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
I was at a thrift store last week and passed on a two story, chain escape ladder.  Yesterday, I was thinking that I could have just shortened it and kept it in the bedroom to hang out the window in case of an emergency.  I think we could get out of the original slider with practice.  The only thing is that I know my wife would never try it.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 09:38:09 AM »
I was at a thrift store last week and passed on a two story, chain escape ladder.  Yesterday, I was thinking that I could have just shortened it and kept it in the bedroom to hang out the window in case of an emergency.  I think we could get out of the original slider with practice.  The only thing is that I know my wife would never try it.

Hey Lin,

I was thinking of the chain ladder too, until I used one.  Maybe if I was going to be up several stories.

Kind of like climbing on spaghetti....

I will say this, smoke is a great motivator to get someone who would never consider it, to jump out of a window.

Here's hoping you never find out.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 11:24:05 AM »

I will say this, smoke is a great motivator to get someone who would never consider it, to jump out of a window.

Here's hoping you never find out.

Cliff

Cliff, Sounds like there is more to the story. We wanna hear.

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline gus

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
As an old Navy man I used to climb down rope ladders from a battleship boat boom 60' feet above the water, but probably wouldn't do that any more!! Those flexible ladders leave a lot to be desired, especially for old farts like me. They have a bad habit of dancing away from your feet, especially for anyone in a real panic.

If you get one I would strongly advise you give it a tryout on the bus before any actual need comes up.

My plan A is to throw all the pillows and bedding out the window and just crash onto them. since my bus has been converted to smaller SS windows, even that is a maybe plan!!

The rear is really the only problem, there are lots of easily pushed out windows in front. I sure wish my 4107 had that neat rear escape door like the 4104.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline DMoedave

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 05:13:14 AM »
10-4 on the back door Ned (missed you this year in Arcadia) There is nothing like the breeze going thru the bus. we might not have all the cool new stuff that the modern coaches have but we have alot of the old cool features! There are waterproof hatches in plexi and aluiminum made for boats that might be adaptable for a emergency hatch. Here is a pic of a rear door on a Kenworth bus, but i think its like the flexibles and not a true thru to the interior door.
we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!

Offline lostagain

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 07:11:38 AM »
The Courier 96 we owned had an emergency exit door on the driver's side. It was in the bathroom. When I re modeled the interior, I sealed it closed permanently. We could go out a window in case of fire.

The Penensula windows in the 5C are large enough to slide open and jump out. Fairly high to the ground, but with fire under your heels, you'd jump right...

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »
Gus, I like the pillows and bedding idea.  It may be obvious, but I didn't think of it.

Although the chain/rope ladder may not be in the plan, I can see having a rope with a hook over the window casing to help with the descent.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline siberyd

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
This subject if very important in my life. I currently be a school bus driver, 40' bus 84 kids.....

I was researching the subject of escaping a bus or motorhome and came across a youtube video someone posted after friends died in an rv fire.  The thing is I use a smartphone because my 3 jobs keep me from home. The video is unique, you cant search for it. It has a very common name VTS 01 1  its poster is Mac McCoy. Can someone here post a link tl it here,  after I send it to someones email. My smart phone cant cut and paste. Its a great video and it will make you look at your windows differently.

Lets say you have a fire in your coach and exit a roof hatch using your chain ladder. Now instead of being
6-8 feet off the ground thru a window. You are 10-14 feet from the ground and a cat on a hot tin roof. Do you have a ladder on your coach to reach the roof?

Siberyd
1957 PD 4104-2240 Lawn Art

GreyEagle

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 12:59:25 PM »
There are 154,000 videos named VTS 01 1 but I found it by searching for RV fires......
here is the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-or4RMunZU

Offline siberyd

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 01:38:16 PM »
GreyEagle,

Many thanks!

Siberyd
1957 PD 4104-2240 Lawn Art

Offline gus

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
Lin,

Carefully try to picture in your mind going out a rear window feet first (the only way you can use a ladder)! It is not a pretty picture.

Just getting your feet through the window will be a real task, never mind trying to get your feet onto the evasive ladder! I've thought about this many times since I got the 4107 and decided I can't do it. My plan is to go out the window head first and just crash onto the bedding. I really don't know any other way to do it.

I'll probably put my wife out feet first because I can help her from the inside. I won't go first because I'll probably break something and not be able to help her at all from outside. All this is presupposing a fire.

In a rollover nobody will be in the rear, but getting out a front window on the side will not be easy since any window will be 8' above! No hatches in the top of the 4107. It might be possible to push out one of the ACs though. On the top it will be much easier.

I have a couple of foam toppers on my bed and can toss them out also, but can't do much with the queen mattress. Even clothes from the closet would help.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
Yes Sam, please send me the info for the bus
 Scott
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal