Author Topic: S&S Not in my future  (Read 3342 times)

Offline mugsytrpt

• 1981 MCI MC9
S&S Not in my future
« on: January 12, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »
The family and I were out for a ride today.  We got close to a Camping World so we said why not stop and see what we might want for the bus.  While we were there my youngest daughter(9) asked if we could look at the motorhomes.  We said sure and began going through all the ones they had on the lot.  After looking at all of them and their high price tags I told my family I am more happy with our old bus.  While she is not as pretty she sure does have more character and is just so much more solid.  It is funny riding down the road and looking across the way and say.....wow that one sure is pretty.  Makes you think about a change with possibly more amenities.  NO WAY......not this family.  If we ever upgrade as some may call it we will either rip out interior and redo to what we think we want then or we will just find a BUS we like and buy it.  We will stay with some sort of bus.  In fact.....I may just buy another one.  I saw one close to my city that may be for sale.  It is seated but I could still use some things off of it and then I am thinking about doing one for my oldest girl for whe she goes to college.  Much more safe than a dorm room these days.  Anyway.....just thought I would post.  Btw....Happy New Year everyone.  Happy Bussing!!!

James
1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New genset April 2013

Offline edvanland

Re: S&S Not in my future
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 04:35:37 PM »
Yep we just came back from Quartzsite where we had a  ball. Looked at some of the newer used ones and boy were they pretty, dreamed a little and then went back to camp and saw or MCI 7 Greydog.
New/ used one $1500 to $2000 a month payment, licenses Omygod, insurance, heart attqack.
Our 1973 MCI 7
No payments, licenses fees $48.43 a year insurance $600 a year, throw in $3000 for maby needed maintaince and it does not even compare. Just have to do this each year to come back down to earth.
ED
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:03 PM »
Ed, where is Cornville, Az? Lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 10:57:58 AM »
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline mugsytrpt

• 1981 MCI MC9
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
Ed,

I agree.  I am even looking at another mci 9 just to have it.  It is a seated bus currently.  If i get it, I will pay what I could use some parts off of it.  However, if it runs like they say I will make it a motorhome on the cheap.

Keep Bussing!!!

James
1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New genset April 2013

Offline mugsytrpt

• 1981 MCI MC9
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »
BTW..... there is no way I would go into debt for one of those S&S.

;D ;D
1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New genset April 2013

Offline Miss Scarlett

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
A friend of mine bought a used S&S about a year ago. After using it for a few months he noticed a bulge on the driver's side along the floor line. He had it checked and the whole side several inches up from the floor is rotten from a leak he didn't know about before he bought it. He was told the whole side of the rv would have to be taken off to do the repair properly which would cost more than he paid for it.
I know rust can happen to a bus but it takes a lot more moisture and time (usually many years) for the problem to become so severe that a whole side would be involved.
If you build your own you can make sure everything is solid and it will last. When mine is finished I will enjoy knowing that every piece was put together with plenty of glue and screws and was  built the way I wanted it.
Miss Scarlett is an Eagle 10 with a 6v92 and Allison 740
UPDATE: finished enough to use!!!- exterior will remain original.
-Dan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal