Author Topic: A pioneer gone - Wynn Silver  (Read 28973 times)

Offline Ace

A pioneer gone - Wynn Silver
« on: January 13, 2013, 05:48:54 AM »
WYNN SILVER Obituary

WYNN SILVER, 86 LAKELAND - Wynn Silver (Winnieford), age 86, passed away Saturday January 12, 2013 from pancreatic and liver cancer, at his home in Lakeland with his family by his side. Born March 26, 1926, in Pensacola, NC to John Willard and Epsie Burr (McMahan) Silver. Along with his parents, he is preceded in death by his daughter, Wands Gail Silver; 3 brothers: Rex Silver, Vernon Silver, Kenneth Silver; 3 sisters: Virginia Halbert; Rowena Husek; Obera Grimes, and first wife, Ruth M. Silver. Wynn was a man of great wisdom, with many achievements. A longtime resident of Lakeland and businessman for over 60 years, he started his career riding his bicycle as a delivery boy for Western Union. In the early 60's, he seized the opportunity to start his own business and started the original airport restaurant at what is now known as Lakeland Linder Airport. He was one of the four original people who started the Sun `N Fun Fly-in here in Lakeland. His love for vehicles brought him to owning several successful transportation companies - Yellow Cab, now known as Checker Cab Company, Central Florida Transit, and Central Florida Limousine Service. Among Wynn's friends, employees, customers, and suppliers he was viewed as a highly respected businessman. Along with transportation, Wynn was also a General Contractor. His hobbies included flying, traveling and fishing. After retirement, Wynn converted one of his charter buses into his personal motorcoach, which began a long lasting enjoyment of traveling the country with friends. He joined many bus groups, including Eagles International and the Bus Nuts. Wynn is survived by his wife, Katherine Silver; daughters, Myra (Gary) Stephens of Brevard, NC; Linda (Rodger) Stenzel of Forest, VA; Kaye (Thomas) Simpson of Lakeland; son, John Wynn (Lynne) Silver of Lakeland; and step-daughter, Karen Golden; 6 grandchildren, 9 great-grandchildren, 5 step-grandchildren and 3 step-great grandchildren. Viewing will be Tuesday, January 15, 2013 from 5-7pm, funeral service to follow at Lake Gibson Church of the Nazarene at 6868 N. Socrum Loop Rd in Lakeland. Graveside service will be Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at Lakeland Memorial Gardens at 11am. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Wynn's honor to Good Shepherd Hospice, Auburndale, FL.

Published in Ledger from January 13 to January 14, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40

Offline Mike in GA

Re: A pioneer gone
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:34:30 AM »
As a longtime member of the Southeast Bus Nuts and the greater bus conversion community, Wynn Silver was a kind and giving man, much admired.
     Being in the bus sales and service business he was unfailingly generous when asked for help. Many a stranded bus nut benefited from Wyn's inventory of rare bus parts, finding that a call to him usually resulted in next day delivery of a turbo or exhaust manifold.
     He and son John made extra room and special rates available in their service bays for conversion enthusiasts who needed work done economically, and many a bus nut was able to camp out with hookups on his grounds while waiting.
     Wynn was a good man. I had great respect for him, and his loss to the bus nuts community will be felt for a long time. RIP.
Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

Offline ruthi

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »
Condolences to Wynns family. I did not know him, but heard good things about him. Prayers for the family.
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
I only met him once but he was obviously a gentleman & excellent businessman.  Thanks for posting Ace.  Clearly a loss to the community.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline blue_goose

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 02:06:51 PM »
Wynn was one of my best friends.  I will surely miss him, but I will always remember the good times we had together.

Those of you that didn't know Wynn missed knowing a great person.
Jack

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:28:34 PM »
May his new road be smooth.  Bob & Judy
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline B_K

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »
A good man for sure. I only met him once in person, but he and his son John have helped me and many busnuts many times!

RIP Wynn!

;D  BK  ;D

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »

Another great North Carolina mountain man gone.Will be missed by all that knew him.

Sat with him at several of the Arcadia bus rallys and listened to stories of growing up in
Burnsville NC and the mount mitchell area.

Was  a great pleasure to meet someone that far from home that loved buses and the NC mountains
like i do.

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »
Does anyone have a picture to share?

I'm great with faces, not so good at putting the proper name to the proper face.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal