Author Topic: I bought an 8v92/740 combo out of an MCI. in Florida How do I get it here to MN?  (Read 17313 times)

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
Hey Guys,

Any thoughts on reasonable freight companies that can handle moving a motor/tranny combo from Florida to Minnesota on a rolling stand?

I may just end up borrowing a friends truck and trailer and driving both ways. Just trying to find the most economical way of getting it here. Seems like fuel will end up being about $600 and the lowest shipping price was around $1100. Any of you have any connections? The motor is in Port Charlotte.

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline luvrbus

Good going Rick wish I could help,word of advice if you can trade for a 5 speed CR Allision it would make the 8v92 very happy with the extra gear

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
About 5500 lbs there ?  Commercial freight to terminal to terminal Might be best bet. Then load at terminal on your trailer.  Long trip -lot of time=warm in Fla and excuse for vacation. Fly down rent truck haul back.   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline RickB

Clifford, I have the 754 2nd gear start transmission in my bus now but if you remember back a few years it was slipping in 2nd when I took off on an incline or on soggy ground so I started running 15/40 rotella in it and it quit slipping but when you're almost doubling the horsepower I think it may not be able to handle it. I plan on sticking it in the shed and slowly getting it running again. I do have a friend that is capable of rebuilding my 754 if you think that would be a good idea although my wife may beat me senseless for buying it if I don't use it.

This motor is gonna need some work, it said in the ad either a seal or a head gasket had went in it but according to the seller both the transmission and motor were rebuilt less than 10k miles ago. I am wondering if it was one of the guys that is on the board here that I bought it from on ebay as it looked like it may have been a converted bus. How many folks out there are from Port Charlotte Florida?

Bob, I'm thinking more like 4000 lbs. 3250 for the motor 840 for the transmission

RB

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
Rick,

It will probably be the cheapest to pick it up yourself IF you have the time off of work. The 1100 number sounds about right to me, if you are going to freight it up. I am with Bob on this one. I would fly down one way and rent a truck back up. You will want to watch the GVWR but, a small uhaul would probably do it (with the front axle sticking up in the air LOL).

As you know, your buddies truck would be an option. However, fuel will probably be more then you think. $600 is sounding pretty cheap for fuel. I don't know what your buddies trailer weighs, but you add that to the weight of the engine and tranny combo. Then if it is gas, take whatever your normal MPG and drop it. If it is diesel, then should stay about the same.

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

GreyEagle

Have you checked into U-SHIP?

How uShip Works

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
Don't know how far away Duluth is but Feb 15 you can fly Allegiance $70 bucks to Orlando one way. Bob

Offline luvrbus

This is the CR you need Rick lots of variations of the 754
 1st 3.69
 2nd 2.00
 3rd  1.58
 4th  1.25
 5th  1.00

most manual shifts are 7.97 in 1st the above mention starts in 1st fwiw

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline RickB

Bob, the plane flight isn't the problem I can fly a redeye to tampa for $129. It's the 14' uhaul truck that's a grand without fuel to get the thing home. It's seems either uship or another freight company or a long two way drive is gonna be the most economically feasible option. Still have a feeling that whoever is selling this thing may be a member here. Well, I contacted the owner with some questions and I'm just gonna give it all a minute to see what develops.

RB

Clifford, how would I find out what my individual gear ratio's are?

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
From here (SW indiana) it's 800 miles and prob another 600 to you. 200 gal fuel. Could prob end up with at least 2 grand cost plus. A friend did the swap gears and all in a 9.  With wife in co-pilot seat first trip got ticket doing 85 in a 55mph.  Talk about the wife look! 

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
Rick,

I agree, Uhaul is expensive. Try getting a quote from Penske or Budget. Fill in all of your contact information, then check the price. After that, give it a day or two. They will usually call and try to give you a better price so you will rent with them. A two day one way rental shouldn't be that much (including mileage).

FWIW

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
Clifford, how would I find out what my individual gear ratio's are?

Rick -

IIRC, if you pull all the numbers off the builder's plate on the side of your Allison (driver's side, I think) and take it into a DDA dealer, they should be able to give you that data.

I'm guessing, tho, that you've got a CR box, that's what was most commonly installed by MCI.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline chessie4905

take a truck or suv with a hitch, drive to Fla., rent a U-haul trailer and haul it home. That way, if it is damaged in transit, it's your fault.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline B_K

I would try UShip! (you don't have to accept the bid if you don't like it!) and if you let Jarred haul it don't expect it to be on time! LOL!

Also keep in mind if you borrow a trailer heavy loads and long miles usually end up with blown tires. (or worse)

Also might check with some local trucking companies to see if they would be interested in a partial back haul.

And just to be sure nobody thinks your trying to pull one over on them tell them it's 5500-6000 pounds and about the size of 2 pallets! (the trucking companies will appreciate this info more than the UShippers)

Now the next thing is if the place where it's at doesn't have a forklift or crane to load it with you'll need a medium duty wrecker to come out and load it for you. (probably $75-100)
;D  BK  ;D

Offline RickB

Getting really fair bids on uship. It's looking more and more like I'll get this thing back here within a week. It's funny BK I was trying to think of how I'd get that darn thing into my shed and you gave me the best idea ever. I'll just call a local towing company and have them come on out and get it set down onto the rollers. Thanks for the knowledge my friend. There is only one thing that would make this not work out for me and that's spun main bearings and I'm really hoping that isn't the case and that if they got it hot they didn't get it super hot. If it's a head gasket or a main seal it will still be a good investment if I can get it up here reasonably. After reading Bryan's struggles to change bell housings, turbo mountings and all the other things that he had to do I made up my mind to find an 8v92 in an MCI cradle with all the aux drives intact and I got all that I hoped for and a rebuilt transmission to boot. All in all I'm cautiously optimistic.

RB

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal