Author Topic: help with a 8v92 dd2  (Read 12472 times)

Offline jimsflx

help with a 8v92 dd2
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »
have a 88 mci with a 8v92 turbo ddec2 set at 400 hp. last week started it up and backed it out of its space so i could take some pictures. left it idle about 10 minutes and started to pull back into the space when it started to skip thought it was out of fuel but dipped the tank and had plenty of fuel. pulled filters both where full. so today i started it back up when you give it fuel it starts to idle up then the shut engine down lite comes on and it goes back to idle. shut it back off and let it set for a while then pulled oil dipstick out and it was about 3 inches above the full mark.pretty shure it is fuel and not water. no bubbles. any ideas? i do not have a pro link avaible. thanks for any imput jim
jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
Re: help with a 8v92 dd2
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
Check your coolant level. If it's down 3 or 4 gallons you found out what it is.

RB
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »
RB

Another member had what sounds like a similar problem.  It turned out that the DDII had two power cables - both with fuses in the cable.  One of the fuse was blown.

Also, DDEC engines do not run well at all if the voltage drops very much (doesn't take much).

Did your check or stop engine light come on?  There is a way to get your codes via turning off the ignition switch several times in a certain way (can't recall the procedure, but maybe someone will chime in).

Just some thoughts.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »
After I made the last post, I got that uneasy feeling.  The method of checking fault codes with an ignition switch is for OBDII computers as I recall.

I did a bit of searching and some DDEC installations have a "diagnostic request switch".  From what I can tell, it is a push button type switch that you hold down for a few seconds and the code(s) flash on the CEL and SEL lights. 

One post I read said the you can short out two terminals on the data port and get the data (think that might be what the "diagnostic request switch".  I would guess that the wiring diagrams I have at home might tell how to wire that switch, but I am not home.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 07:57:17 PM »
Jim,

I was referring to the oil level mysteriously rising 3 inches above the full mark. That means 3 gallons of "something" just showed up in the oil and jimsflx, in his post, was leaning towards that "something" being fuel, which is possible from what I understand. I just thought since it can only be one other possible liquid, maybe a quick check of his coolant level would reveal a 3 or 4 gallon loss and it might be a quick solution as to what is in his oilpan. I get what you're saying about recent electrical ddec issues but obviously that doesn't explain a major change in oil level on the dip stick. Just trying to clarify my post.

Jimsflx, if you have an Infrared Temperature gun you may want to see if you can get it up to temp and shoot each cylinder's exhaust manifold to see if you've got one cylinder that is running alot cooler than the others. However, if that's coolant in the oil, running your engine could ruin it completely. Catch 22's stink big time. Good luck and keep us posted. I especially am interested in what you find out because I just purchased a motor that is exhibiting the same symptoms.

RB

Offline B_K

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:57:01 PM »
Jim is this the same one you had problems with last yr?

If so just out of curiosity did you ever find and fix that problem? And what was it?
I remember you trying lots of things but never saw the end results.

Any chance this is related?
;D  BK  ;D

Offline blue_goose

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:56:14 AM »
If you have 3 gal of fuel in the oil you shouldn't run the engine again until you find out where the fuel is getting into the oil. YOu could have a broken fuel line going to the injectors.  That would be the cause of the missing and fuel in the oil.
Jack

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 06:42:09 AM »
If there was coolant in the oil, the oil would have turned into a milky mess. Most likely fuel. Even though the DDEC engines have electronically controlled injectors, they still have the same type of fuel lines feeding the injectors-meaning they can crack from improper tightening (usually too tight). Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline B_K

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 07:03:22 AM »
When my dad an I bought our first coach for the business and brought it home it had "made" about 3 gallons of oil on the 130 mile trip home. ('89 8V92 DDEC)

We discovered it was 6 out of 8 injectors were cracked and leaking. (took a while to find using a pressurized "dye" injector. We checked and checked and could not find it.
Then one night for some reason I decided to "try looking one more time".
Only this time I did it at night and when I turned on the black light wow there were all kinds of orange (the dye) lightning bolt looking cracks visible on those 6 injectors.
It was too bright to see them in the day light, but boy they were easy to spot in the dark!
;D  BK  ;D

Offline RickB

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 07:13:35 AM »
TomC,
As I mentioned earlier I am in the middle of purchasing an 8v92 that is exhibiting similar symptoms and the guy I buying it from said the same thing as Jimsflx did in his first post, he thought it was fuel in the crankcase but he also was sure that he had coolant coming out of the slobber tubes and the bus is super low on coolant so it is obvious that he has coolant in the oil not fuel. So here's the weird thing, when I asked him if it was a milky color with froth he said "no, it looks like oil." So, my question is: Does coolant in the oil always turn oil on the dipstick a milky frothy color? I'm thinking in my experience with gas engines it does.

Also, how long would an engine have to be running to pump 3 or 4 gallons through a faulty injector?

I still think it's worth Jim's time to check his coolant level, If he's down 3 or 4 gallons of coolant and up 3 or 4 gallons of liquid in the block I would think there's a fair chance it's coolant not fuel.

Offline B_K

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 07:22:13 AM »
Rick as I said in the post above yours it took 130 miles (2.5 hrs) to make 3-4 gallons in ours. But those were "tiny" little cracks that were next to impossible to find.

A blown injector tip, or a injector line snapped in 2 could easily dump way more full in the engine much faster than that.

Also even with those cracked injectors our engine ran "flawlessly" and had lots of power.  Had we not found it way over on oil, who knows how long it would have taken us to discover that we even had a problem.
;D  BK  ;D

Offline RickB

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 07:35:36 AM »
Bryce. All I have to say is thank God for fuel shutoffs in DDEC's and emergency flappers in MUI's because the idea that the oil level would eventually allow the motor to start running away on a block full of fuel is a scary thought...

RB

Offline blue_goose

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 10:45:23 AM »
I just replaced a DD2 8v92 because of water and fuel in the oil.  The water never showed because it came in slow enough that the water boiled off and just left the antifreeze and fuel.  If this extra oil build up was fast it more than likely was fuel if the oil wasn't white. I knew there was a water loss, but there was never a gain in the oil.  Must have been using oil as fast as the water and fuel was coming into the engine. I found mine with a oil sample test.
Jack

Offline Rick 74 MC-8

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 02:30:42 PM »
If the engine has not run for very long the water will be at the bottom of pan just Just loosen the drain plug and see if you get water out

Rick 74mc-8
About 20 Miles West Of Chicago

Offline jimsflx

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 03:28:15 PM »
thanks guys rickb checked the water level put a gallon in.still does same thing. bk yes this the same bus. the problem was a breaker that had a crack in the case and the wire would move and shut it it down. had my hand in there and touch the wire and that was it.moved the wire over to another breaker that was the fix. the mci hase been sitting for a year i did drive it a couple times so when i started it last week this started. the bus is emptey inside.i was going to convert it but i sold my flx and got a nice 4106 with 14,000 miles on the conversion with a rebuilt 8v71 and 4 speed trans.with the paper work.drove it 1500 miles at 70-75 home was down a gt of oil and no leaks. it is the bus that has been in the ads of bcm the last few issues. i love it.so the mci is going up for sale when i get it fixed. i am going to pull the valve covers this week. pretty sure it is fuel in the oil. the dipstick is not milky or has bubbles. going with blue goose idea. injector or cross over tubes. will post when i fine out. thanks again jim
jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal