Author Topic: New graphic design for our MCI7  (Read 14121 times)

Offline LowTide

New graphic design for our MCI7
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »
I have been working on some designs for the coach and think this is what we will be going with. I plan on painting the coach black or durnodic bronze on the sides and crown of the roof, then ad 3M vinyl graphics. The vinyl will be beige and a few different shades of grey along with a bit of white. I plan on resealing the roof and it will still remain white.

I know the black will be a bit hotter, but it sure does make the polished sides pop. We will also be installing another AC unit up front to help with cooling. We also plan on making a few changes to the inside (not much), just some things to fit our needs.
The jpeg image does not do her justice, but the design looks very nice in the design program.

Just thought we would share, hope you like it, we do.......the addiction continues ;)

All the best
Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"
"Just Misbehavein' "

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
Re: New graphic design for our MCI7
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »
If using black I would suggest using satin or matt black - gloss black is the absolute worst colour for highlighting an uneven surface - and the bodywork of a 40 year old rivetted-together bus will be the very definition of an uneven surface (that's not meant to be an insult - it's just the nature of the beast - it would have been uneven on the day it was built).

Unfortunately (to my way of thinking) matt black is a very trendy finish at the moment amongst the too-much-money-not-enough-style modified car brigade. However, Mad Max's Interceptor was also matt black, and that was the coolest car in history.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline LowTide

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
If using black I would suggest using satin or matt black - gloss black is the absolute worst colour for highlighting an uneven surface - and the bodywork of a 40 year old rivetted-together bus will be the very definition of an uneven surface (that's not meant to be an insult - it's just the nature of the beast - it would have been uneven on the day it was built).

Unfortunately (to my way of thinking) matt black is a very trendy finish at the moment amongst the too-much-money-not-enough-style modified car brigade. However, Mad Max's Interceptor was also matt black, and that was the coolest car in history.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

No offense taken :)
You are correct, I had planned on shooting the coach with Matthews Acrylic polyurethane which is pretty close to a matt finish. If you are not familiar with this brand, it is a paint designed for aluminum and will also work on just about every metal surface.

I use it on all our aluminum signs and it does really well in this AZ sun. I think the oldest sign we have out there is around 14 years and it still looks good...no fading.

I still have to decide on the 2 colors, heck, I may just shoot it durnodic bronze which is real close to the color she is now.

Thanks for responding
Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline bansil

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »
I love the bus by the way,my untrained eye has an issue with all the cool lines on the side having the "bottoms" kicked out towards the rear,while the graphic start point seems like an end; not a beginning.
My eyes train to the windows,polished trim even the "slash" below as going the right way...then I see the "end" of the graphic...it just doesn't do justice to the buses built-in lines
Just my .02 as a casual observer
Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 03:24:15 PM »
Black, that is a lot of black, can't believe how much cooler my bus is after going blue to white.  It may require more than one more A/C unit.

But, it does look good.

Just my nickel,

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline LowTide

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 04:03:33 PM »
I love the bus by the way,my untrained eye has an issue with all the cool lines on the side having the "bottoms" kicked out towards the rear,while the graphic start point seems like an end; not a beginning.
My eyes train to the windows,polished trim even the "slash" below as going the right way...then I see the "end" of the graphic...it just doesn't do justice to the buses built-in lines
Just my .02 as a casual observer

Thanks for your input. I see what you are saying about the beginning of the graphic. I will lay it out so the slash matches the angle of the sliding window and lines behind the drivers area and see how that looks. I am sure it will have a totally different look....flowing a bit better.
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline LowTide

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »
Black, that is a lot of black, can't believe how much cooler my bus is after going blue to white.  It may require more than one more A/C unit.

But, it does look good.

Just my nickel,

Bill

Bill

Yep, I remember the thread about you repainting yours. What color did you have before, I can't remember?

I know the black is an issue with regards to the heat and we are still in limbo about the color. I like the durnodic so this is going to be one of those projects I think about for a month or more.

Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 04:42:18 PM »
It was blue,, seems nobody like the blue...  LOL

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
Hey Mike,

That does look sharp! Much better than the old paint. Maybe you could look into mini-splits to solve the cooling problem. Several on here have used them with good success.

TOM

PS: Phyllis liked it too.
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

edeshields

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
Here' s my bus paint application which isn't too far removed from your idea..  I didn't paint the roof. I left it white. Vinyl will fade quickly and  will only last 2 years.  I used the same black and bronze color scheme. I used a charcoal stripe. I feathered a black accent at the base of the bus.

I never felt the "black" difference personally-even if I go to the desert.. Hope this helps. You're going to be pleased when you're done.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »
The difference in surface temperature between white and black in the desert summer will be in the range of 30-40 degrees.  The surface temp could easily be 140-150 degrees for black.  I do not think that that will be an insignificant cooling load in a desert climate like ours.  It really could require an added AC unit depending on how cool you like to be.  This will be the case while parked or driving.  Although this one factor may not be the bases of the entire decision, it is an issue.  A white roof would help.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline LowTide

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 06:13:18 PM »
Here' s my bus paint application which isn't too far removed from your idea..  I didn't paint the roof. I left it white. Vinyl will fade quickly and  will only last 2 years.  I used the same black and bronze color scheme. I used a charcoal stripe. I feathered a black accent at the base of the bus.

I never felt the "black" difference personally-even if I go to the desert.. Hope this helps. You're going to be pleased when you're done.

That's a sweet looking job you did. I wanted to go with vinyl because if I ever decided to change it up, it won't be as much work as having to DA the whole paint job and repaint.

I have laid quite a bit of 3M vinyl on vehicles and have got allot more life out of it than 2 years, I would guess about 7 years at best for these colors. If it were red or any color vinyl along the red pigment range, I would have to agree with the fading issue. Red is horrible in the sun, but then again the AZ sun is hard on everything.

Heck,you never know, I may just take the xtra time to mask and paint the graphics on and then shoot it with clear......that may be a better choice.

Thanks for your feedback, great looking coach you have there!

Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline LowTide

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 06:19:50 PM »
Hey Mike,

That does look sharp! Much better than the old paint. Maybe you could look into mini-splits to solve the cooling problem. Several on here have used them with good success.

TOM

PS: Phyllis liked it too.

Thanks Tom, I will look into the mini-splits. As you know we have not had her in the full blown heat as of yet, but we did notice it getting warm once we hit Texas on the way back home. I think the temps were around 95-97 degrees and could feel the heat up front as you mentioned we would. I am sure when it hit's 115 out here it will be like a microwave.

Good to hear Phyllis liked it too ;)

Thanks
Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline LowTide

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »
The difference in surface temperature between white and black in the desert summer will be in the range of 30-40 degrees.  The surface temp could easily be 140-150 degrees for black.  I do not think that that will be an insignificant cooling load in a desert climate like ours.  It really could require an added AC unit depending on how cool you like to be.  This will be the case while parked or driving.  Although this one factor may not be the bases of the entire decision, it is an issue.  A white roof would help.

Lin, we would have most of the roof white, just the crown on the sides would be painted but I am sure that little bit will add to the heat issue. We like it cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I tell my friends that I am the only guy in Arizona who wears flannel pajamas in the summer.....the dear wife likes it sub zero.....so to speak. LOL

Thanks for the reply
Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"Just Misbehavein' "

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »
Mike,

FWIW, I would give it a little time. See what it does this summer. Black might be fine for a lot of areas, but I don't know if I would willingly paint my vehicle black and live in the desert.

YMMV

john
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal