Author Topic: Outlets in the bedroom  (Read 12032 times)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
Re: Outlets in the bedroom
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »
Outlets go in the same classification as horsepower, boobs and money.
Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »
Ugly, are you saying that all those things should be installed in the bedroom?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline PCC

• Serving Those Who Have Served
    • Serving Project, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »
Horsepower under the bed.
Boobs on the bed.
Money in the mattress.

Did I understand it all??
For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.

Offline LowTide

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 02:15:31 PM »
Horsepower under the bed.
Boobs on the bed.
Money in the mattress.

Did I understand it all??

ROFL......sounds about right!
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"
"Just Misbehavein' "

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"

Offline bansil

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »
 Well I got 1 of the 3 :-\, I'm poor and have a FE....but I have the other one nailed ;D lifes good
Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 06:41:55 PM »
I'm trying hard to think of a reason NOT to install 110 volt outlets in the bedroom but so far I'm coming up blank.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
Re: Re: Outlets in the bedroom
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
I guess I got my answer.  That's exactly the feedback I needed.

I think I'll put on each side of the bed base and one one each side of the side cabinet.

Thanks again

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline belfert

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 07:47:56 PM »
If you spend any amount of time away from a power pole I would put a couple of 12 volt outlets in the bedroom too.  Plenty of devices like phones can recharge on 12 volts.  It doesn't make much sense to take battery power, invert it to 110 volt, and then convert it back to a lower voltage that is usually DC anyhow.  Even if you do go from power pole to power pole 12 volt outlets make sense.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline PCC

• Serving Those Who Have Served
    • Serving Project, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 07:30:46 AM »
I have been told that charging things like cell phones and other electronic devices from a 12 volt charger directly to the appliance is harder on the batteries than if you take it up to the 120 volt, and then plug a charger in like you would at home.

May or may not be totally true, but it works for me, and my electronic device batteries seem to be lasting and do not get as hot as they used to on the 12 volt chargers.

Putting 12 volt outlets alongside the bed is definitely a good idea for those times when you are in the back 40.
For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.

Offline gus

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »
Agree with Brian, I have duplicate 12 and 120V lights in the bedroom, in most of the bus for that matter. We don't spend much time hooked up.

I don't know about harming batts but charging with 120v is much quicker. However, most of the time on the road we don't have that convenience.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 12:38:21 AM »
Belfert hit that one good!

You never foresee all the things you should do. Ever run a few wires from dash to engine? How many times? Not enough yet?

Put the outlets in. Put extras in.

I have a 12V outlet in the bathroom. It's a cigarette lighter model with a little switch that also served as some kind of power booster for the omni TV antenna. I never fooled with it after the first time I switched it and nothing happened but a small red light came on.

If you have an inverter, I see no reason for 12V outlets anywhere. I have a household refrigerator though.

If you have one of the old totally 12v style RVs that's different.

I am nearly illiterate concerning electricity but I still remember that is is not efficient to invert DC to AC then convert it back to DC
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline belfert

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 02:33:43 PM »
Even if you have an inverter, why waste battery power by converting from DC to AC back to DC to charge phones and such?  I haven't heard about ruining batteries by using a car charger.

I guess I can see for simplicity sake why just using 120 volt adapters would be good too.  The power wasted is pretty miniscule compared to running lights, fridge, and other things.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »
I have read before about car chargers not being good for a phone battery.  I do not know how true it is.  In this link, the guy seems pretty certain.

http://chris.pirillo.com/are-mobile-car-chargers-good-for-phone-batteries/

The next question would be is using your 12v outlet in your parked bus really the same as using a car charger off the alternator.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline gus

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »
Inverters never made a lot of sense to me because of the huge 20% power loss and the monster battery bank required. I love my little two batt house pack. I never hesitate to run my genset if power is needed because it doesn't get used enough as it is. I even run it for a short time when I need to microwave something.

I don't see any difference in charging from 12v with or without the alt running since most small chargers have a wide voltage operating range?
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline belfert

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
A good inverter has a lot less loss than 20%.  The Victron mentioned has a 6% loss on the 24 volt model.

I have a 120 volt fridge so I would need to run my generator 24x7 if I didn't have an inverter.  The amount I spent on batteries and the inverter would buy a lot of diesel, but I couldn't stand to listen to my generator 24x7 even thought it is reasonably quiet.  Ken and Ruth with the Dina decided to go generator only and just run the generator 24x7 as they are at Walmarts all the time building beauty salons.  I know Ruth has been here in the last 6 months to a year asking about inverters with the cost of diesel so high.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal