Author Topic: Backup Camera Shroud  (Read 7546 times)

Offline Gerry H

• 1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison
Backup Camera Shroud
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:43:32 AM »
Hello: Can anyone give me a lead on where to purchase a fiberglass shroud/cover for a backup camera and rear flood lamp? Thanks Gerry H
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses

Offline scanzel

Re: Backup Camera Shroud
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
R&M Fiberglass might have them.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
Hello: Can anyone give me a lead on where to purchase a fiberglass shroud/cover for a backup camera and rear flood lamp? Thanks Gerry H

Whatever you end up doing make sure you can (easily) access the camera lens for cleaning.  I think our caps are R & M but the lens on the housing was really difficult to remove, involving prying it out of a rubber gasket.  On the few occasions I did remove it I was always worried that I would break the glass and consequently it didn't get cleaned nearly as often as it should have.  The seal wasn't great either so the inside of the lens got dusty very quickly and the camera lens got dirty as well.  All in all not a very good setup.

Last summer when I repainted I installed a 6" threaded sewer fitting as an accessible lens cover.  I put glass inside the male fitting and moulded the female fitting into the rear cap.  There's a nylon gasket on the fitting.  We haven't used the bus a lot since the paint job but so far the arrangement has worked really well as far as keeping dust out and it looks professional (which is unusual for my repairs).
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline gus

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »
Bob is right, I often have to clean off the camera lens while traveling. It just takes a tiny bit of any kind of road dirt to fuzz it up since the lens is so small. I keep a small rag attached to a long pole just for that purpose.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, I noticed on my trip to Arcadia then on to Texas and back to Va, that with the sun on the rear, the camera just washed out and visability was about zero, as soon and got into shade, a perfect picture again.  So clearly, I need to come up with something. Need some sort of hood to keep the sun off the lens.
Again thanks for the reminder
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »
I also need some kind of hood. How about some pictures from those who have built their own? Thanks in advance!
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline Skykingrob

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:37:18 PM »
Gerry and Steve
I have one from R & M that i bought and decided not to use. It looks just like the one their website. When I got mine it was nearly $300 including shipping. Mine has been sitting for several years in my bus barn with no plans to use it. Make me an offer, like $50 plus shipping and I will send it your way.

Rob
91 Prevost
Missouri

Offline superiormotors

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 08:11:51 PM »
Rob I'll give $75 plus shipping for it

Offline Gerry H

• 1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:40 AM »
Rob: Thank you for your more than generous offer, but I am looking for places to purchase (styles) where I can make a choice of what I want to use on my coach, that is if I can ever figure it all out. I am finishing up the rear closet area in my coach and need to get a backup camera and wiring installed before I seal it up. Not sure of camera pod style yet, but was leaning towards picture below, with a little less space in between camera and light. I have looked at RM pod and don't think it's for me, so sell it to the highest bidder and thank you again. Gerry H

Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses

Offline expressbus

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:55:14 AM »
Mex-Busnut: Looking at your end cap, I had a thought that it would be neat to take the center clearance light torpedo and modify it to be the camera housing IF you could find a clear lens for it. Maybe even make a clear and flat lens from Lexan.
Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 01:05:42 PM »
Mex-Busnut: Looking at your end cap, I had a thought that it would be neat to take the center clearance light torpedo and modify it to be the camera housing IF you could find a clear lens for it. Maybe even make a clear and flat lens from Lexan.

Aren't the 5 clearance lights required to avoid a ticket?
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline expressbus

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »
Mex-Busnut: I don't know the answer to that. If true then one could buy another torpedo clearance marker light and add that to the existing torpedos. It might be unbalanced from an Engineer's perspective but could be functional and sealed from the elements. Then the cover would get cleaned every time the bus got washed or you felt the need to clean only that torpedo.

Just thinking outside the box fishing for an answer to the question. Oh and I am an Engineer and the wife tells me all the time things don't have to be balanced!
Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach

Offline Skykingrob

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 07:06:25 PM »
Superiormotors
I sent you a PM through the board. What is says is to get me an address that I can send the part to.

Rob

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »
My BU camera is accessible through the rear closet in the bedroom so I can pull it inside and clean when necessary. Makes it really easy to aim it too as I can feed the video through the TV in the bedroom. My original thought was to use it as a security camera at night, but the wife just sends me outside if she hears anything.
Will :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal