Author Topic: Paying for fuel  (Read 8454 times)

Offline belfert

Paying for fuel
« on: January 26, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »
Merchants will shortly be allowed to charge customers a surcharge if they use a credit card.  Many truck stops currently charge the cash price for vehicles fueling at the RV lanes or auto lanes even when using a credit card.  Has anyone heard if truck stops are going to start charging extra for credit cards now?

I always fuel my bus at the auto diesel pumps at Loves to avoid the credit card surcharge at the truck pumps.  At Flying J and Pilot my RV card gets me the cash price at the truck lanes even with a credit card.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Oonrahnjay

Re: Paying for fuel
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 06:46:59 PM »
Are there surcharges on debit cards, or are they treated like cash?  Thx,  BH
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline belfert

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 07:04:02 PM »
The new rules taking affect tomorrow only affect credit cards.  Visa'a website states that merchants cannot charge a surcharge for debit cards.

I suppose I might start using my debit card for fuel if truck stops start charging extra for credit cards at all pumps.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:18:37 PM »
A debit card at the truck pumps has been charged at the credit price for years at most truck stops, A lot of the independents will give you cash price on a debit card, but none of the big chains will at the truck pumps.
Now what I am talking about has nothing to do with the surcharge Brian is talking about, I just wanted folks to know how it works at the truck pumps.
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
And a lot of credit cards give 3% cash back on fuel...so it's a wash/break even deal...crappy deal but what you gonna do.. :-\
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 03:08:18 AM »
Ironically the law has just changed here the other way - merchants can no longer add a surcharge, where previously they could.

I've added a surcharge on small (less than £5) card payments for years, simply because it was the only way it was economic to take those payments. Now I will have to refuse to accept those small purchases if they are paid by card - which, given that I sell by mail order, is 99% of them.

Also, many members of the public seem to believe that charges on credit cards are justifiable, but that for some reason debit cards should always be free to use (that they should be 'treated like cash' as someone said). The reality is that it accepting debit cards can be far more expensive to the retailer than accepting credit cards - debit cards typically have a fixed processing cost whereas credit cards are charged on a percentage of the transaction value. So debit cards can be extremely expensive to service for those retailers who are dealing with mostly small value purchases, but it's the other way around if your transaction values are quite high - which is why airlines (and I guess some petrol stations in the US) have historically charged customers for using credit cards but not debit cards

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
You see, I would prefer it that the price listed is for credit cards, but you get a discount for case.  I know someone who, years ago, used to request that of local merchants very successfully.

Jeremy- can't you just charge a little extra for shipping and handling on the small orders?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »
Up here, if there is a cash price you can usually get that with a debit card, Flying J is one example.  Other than that I use a cash-back Visa.  If the merchant is truly corporate and I don't like them I use an Amex credit card, they charge the vendor the most and my Amex gives the highest cash back.

Which brings up another question - how many credit or debit cards do you carry?  I carry three of each.  Three debit accounts, for historical reasons related to different employment, and two visa cards, one Amex.  My wife has two of the same debit cards, one other debit account, and two different visa's and we share the AMex account.  I have enough credit to buy a house, and I am scared to cancel them for fear it will affect my credit score.  Since we have no actual debt I have no idea why I even care about my credit score.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
I use a Texaco and Shell card if the vendors try to add the surcharge all it takes is a call to the 800 number on the card and they take it off in a hurry Texaco is GE Bank and Shell is Citi Bank works for me 

It make no sense to have a company issued credit card and vendors have a 5 cents a gal charge Citi Bank told me and fwiw most debit cards have 13 cent charge for no matter what the final bill transaction from 1 dollars to 1000 dollars + that is the way it works at the sons restaurants  

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline belfert

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »
Clifford, if your Texaco and Shell cards don't have the Visa or Mastercard logo then you won't have to worry about surcharges.  Even if they do, it is not automatic that merchants would charge you to use your credit card.

Offline gus

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »
There is a federal law preventing charging extra for credit card use.

At most stations the cash price is the same as for credit cards for all but truckers. Usually the cash price is for truckers who use national diesel credit systems.

In some states the auto diesel price is less than at the truck pumps, I've never seen it the other way around.

I go to auto diesel pumps when possible. Truck pumps are usually a mess and are a pain, sometimes I can never figure out their card system and just leave. Also the slave pump system is a pain because it seems I always end up on the slave side!

Auto pumps are often a challenge to get to though and I often get a bunch of strange looks.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »
Oregon is .25 cents a gal more for a conversion or car than a truck, there they charge mileage use which requires a cab permit most of us don't have or want.

Here in Az fuel is 8 cents lower than the posted price at truck stops for RVs if you have less than 3 axles and weigh less than 26,000 lbs but some stations are hitting you with a credit card charge
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »
THE LAW ALLOWS THE SURCHARGE...but does not require that merchants charge it....many will not.the whole point is that the credir card companies cheated merchantsfor years and now the feds say they owe the merchants and the card companies are telling the merchants to get the money from us....atleast thats the way i see it.
so boycott the ones that charge it.and tell your legislature to make it illegal like the 10 states that already have...

from news sources:
"We have discussed the settlement with many, many merchants, and not a single merchant we have spoken to plans to surcharge," Craig Shearman, spokesman for the National Retail Federation (NRF), said in a statement."

"Also, it is illegal to charge the fee in 10 states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas. The remaining 40 states will charge the new “checkout” fee."

National retailers including Walmart, Target and McDonald’s vowed not to pass on the tax to customers in any states. By law, though, retailers charging the fees, both online and in brick and mortar stores, will be obligated to post signs informing customers of the new tax.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline belfert

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »
There is a federal law preventing charging extra for credit card use.

What federal law?  Is this for fuel only?

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 06:37:40 AM »
Qoute-"There is a federal law preventing charging extra for credit card use."

I read that the card companies got fined for shady  deals they were doing last year in the billions and after paying fine, they were allowed, 6 months later, to access the 3% surcharge. Thank Little Timmy "turbo tax" Geithner for that one. Helping his Wall Street Buddies out! Texas not one of the states that would allow fee!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal