Author Topic: Cummins big cam 3 400 turbo setup  (Read 26266 times)

Offline Hard Headed Ken

• 1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift
    • Link to my engine swap
Re: Cummins big cam 3 400 turbo setup
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
Wayne, I think I remember reading somewhere that a Big Cam Cummings has a cam retard mechanism and few people even know it's there and even fewer know how to adjust it properly. Here's a forum that mentions it. http://www.pulloff.com/phorum/read.php?2,105520,106054

Ken
Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »
I have found a resonator cured a few issues with much improved breathing, have used a few Walke resonators, 5" shorty type. Always impressed at the big boost in performance.
Dave Am
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline rusty

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 06:30:59 AM »
Ken that is an interesting read. I will see if my shop has heard of it.
Dave I had a resonator that I was going to but on and sold it after I followed a friend from Kingman to Bullhead city. He had his Jakes on all the way down and with that resonator I am sure there was so broken windows.

Wayne

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 06:44:39 AM »
Cummins upgraded the 855 to the LPF liners and pistons to stop that around 1987 or a bouts,the difference was the liner would round out and not the piston like on the older models machine work has to be done on the older blocks to accept the LPF liners and pistons 

Just buy more soap and run the puppy Wayne you are not going to cure the problem without spending big bucks BTDT that engine will run for a long time even if it annoying to you
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Ed Brenner

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 07:15:23 AM »
Wayne , sooner or later you knew a smart -ss would chime in.
The cure is simple  FINISH the other bus with the 60 series, problem cured !!  ;D ;D
ED

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!

Offline opus

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 08:35:12 AM »
Aneroid valve??
1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.

Offline HB of CJ

Fixed Timing, Mechanical Step Timing and Variable Mechanical Timing
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »
Are at least three of several types of cam and injector timing used on the old Big Cam series of 855 Cummins engines.  What I was told is that few individuals today know how to trouble shoot and service these older types of mechanical controls.  When they work, they work great...the problem is that sometimes they don't work quite right and the mill suffers.  Again...try Pittsburg Fuel Injection. Also FWIW, I would not believe anyones word as to what is inside an engine...just costs a gasket and seal kit to do a tear down and look and see.  Weird parts sometimes end up inside rebuilt mills.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Not sure also if your mill also has the big water pump which you will need.

Offline azdieselman

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
Fixed, MVT, HVT, STC. Being a ReCon engine, The parts list is pretty short on QSOL. I have built plenty of these. If you follow the CPL, There shouldn't be a smoking problem. Verifing what's actually in the engine may be the next step.
1980 Mod 10

Offline rusty

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 06:13:30 AM »
Thank you all for your comments. Looks like I need to look inside and find out just what I have and find someone that knows this motor. Maybe the the guys that I have working on my motor are not as good as I think they are, As far as the water pump I have no idea all I know is I do not have a heat problem. The motor has never got hot and I have driven in some hot weather.

Wayne

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal