Author Topic: Bus/Truck accident  (Read 10600 times)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Re: Bus/Truck accident
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 04:44:50 PM »
That's pretty interesting to learn. I would have thought that poor maintenance, particularly on brakes, would pull the coaches from service.  What are the other safety categories?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 05:21:12 PM »
DOT regulations are enforced by the states a DOT inspection beats nothing but things can happen shortly after one most inspections are done by carrier  

There are some buses in this area that are in terrible shape but sport the DOT number on the side much and that much gives them a free pass at a weight station some even have the electronic passes they don't even stop

Rarely do you see a DOT inspection at a station on a passenger bus the stations are setup for trucks and a full inspection takes about 2 or 3 hrs for a trooper to preform that would be a lot of unhappy travelers even it might save their lives they would probably get a little ups   

Notice you never saw the Hounds MCI 9s and 12s with duck tape holding the lights and windshield in place with wire holding the doors on at weight station naw just going down the road with 40  people on board
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Hobie

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 06:18:24 AM »
The National City address is just a mailing address.   The buses are based in Tijuana.   And after what Clifford just said,  ..Hmm.  

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 06:32:50 AM »
You just can't do the same level of inspection on a bus compared to a truck without a lift or pit.
Florida gave up it's vehicle inspections some years ago but, when they did do them, you would drive up on a brake testing machine and apply the brakes.  It would measure the relative braking at each wheel.  It seems that something along those lines could work for buses.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »
I have the maintenance record for my bus which includes an MOT test every month (for comparison, cars are tested once a year here). I've no idea how our MOT test compares to your DOT test - but certainly the really obvious stuff like testing the brakes only scratches the surface of what they check. I'd have to pull out the paperwork for my bus to check the monthly sheets, but I seem to remember it needed something every time which required work or money

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline belfert

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 12:44:45 PM »
That's pretty interesting to learn. I would have thought that poor maintenance, particularly on brakes, would pull the coaches from service.  What are the other safety categories?

A failed safety inspection of a single bus will still get that bus out of service.  It won't automatically change the safety rating from the FMCSA.  Safe driving, passing drug tests, and having insurance are the other categories considered for the safety rating.  You can have a bad rating in mechanical and still get an overall satisfactory rating if the other three categories are good.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »
So much for a chain being as strong as its weakest link.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 10:42:35 PM »

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 04:05:58 AM »
They will be back next week under a different name lol they will have one of the online outfits buy their permits for 400 bucks and on the road again sad but true,no experience required,safety program, nothing just money for the permits FWIW

Van Hools are always being recalled for brake problems the ones here are always a problem but then our DOT says plastic air lines are ok 

Its frightening to me going down the road knowing all the newer stuff has plastic air line with push in fitting on a truck and trailer hauling 80,000 lbs at 75 mph DOT approved so it to be safe BS
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »
Come on, what's the big deal? Isn't everyone replaceable?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal