Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 18503 times)

Offline skihor

Re: Insurance
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 06:17:37 AM »
Progressive is the only company I know that will give RV insurance. Most just cover the bus for the normal legal running down the road. Progressive's RV policy will cover much more. When I started my truck conversion, I asked what I had to do to have the truck insured by Progressive. They said I could not build the box myself. I had the box built by a licensed body manufacture, and they were good with that. They didn't care about who did the conversion on the interior. Good Luck, TomC
GMAC has just as good, I think better, policy than Progressive. We are insured as "Full Timers" It includes contents, Personal liability, (if someone slips on your step, trips over your awning leg, etc...) and of course comp, collision, liability, etc... We carry $250/$500 on all of our vehicles including the bus. The best part is GMAC was about 20% cheaper than Progressive.

Don & Sheila

Offline gus

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 03:12:57 PM »
Steve,

I had my 4104 insured with USAA and could have continued indefinitely grandfathered. But when I got the 4107 five years later they were out of the MH insurance business, at least they told me that, and were then referring all MH business to Progressive.

As frustrating as USAA can be sometimes, it still seems to be the best around.

My wrecked custom minivan was totaled by USAA and I bought it back. I rebuilt it and came out a small amount to the good discounting my labor as zero! However, like happened to luvrbus, I cannot get collision on it. I plan to do the same thing if I ever wreck the 4107.

I'm sure any insurance Co will total almost any damaged older bus conversion, it is cheaper than having it repaired. Kind of like owning an old Mercedes or airplane where repair parts cost is more than the market value!

Collision is probably not worth the cost for most older conversions and I will probably drop mine eventually.

I need to look closer into agreed value also. It appears to be a starting point for depreciation rather than the fixed value I thought it was?
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline belfert

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »
My collision and comprehensive may not cover a whole lot if the bus gets major damage, but I do get full glass coverage.  I've had some bad luck with windshields and my insurance company has paid out at least $5,000 for four windshields.  (Dina windshields are labor intensive to replace.)

Liability is typically the most expensive part of vehicle insurance.  I pay less than $600 a year to insure my bus so I'll keep the collision and comprehensive just for the glass coverage.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Seayfam

Re: Re: Insurance
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »
I'm with Brian on keeping the coverage. My policy is for 50k and costs me 600 and some change per year. If I total the bus, some money is better than none. As long as it isn't a complete fire, I can try and buy it back and part it out to recoup some more.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 06:32:13 AM »
Insurance Co's had no guide lines for years to go by for converted bus with the market now where you can buy a factory converted bus Prevost,Eagle,MCI or others from the late 90s for 50 grand no way are they going to pay over 100 grand for converted bus made in 60's,70s,80's and early 90's those days are gone.

Same thing is going on with the tow insurance a friend of mine is broke down in Lake Havasu 30 miles from my shop they will tow him only 15 miles to a shop that he was told they could do the work in a week or so or he could pay a extra 600 bucks and be towed to my place 

So we will be changing a rear end on the side of the road in Lake Havasu today my favorite Saturday past time 

The name of his tow insurance which I have no problem telling you guys their name is Progressive he has had for years when one insurance co goes in a certain direction they all follow better check before you need it
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline belfert

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
All of the towing coverage I have ever had since 2006 is only good to the nearest service facility.  Do any companies actually state they will tow anywhere of the owner's choice?  I can't imagine anyone would pay to tow my bus from say Wyoming to my home in Minneapolis.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
Most services say 100 miles or did back in the day not long ago it wasn't a problem for Coachnet when you fell into their limit low boy or or hook made no difference to them.

You would be brain dead to even ask or think a program would tow you from WY to MN

Offline Van

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »
If you mention Clifford's name they might tow ya from Wyoming to his place lol!
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline belfert

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »
Most services say 100 miles or did back in the day not long ago it wasn't a problem for Coachnet when you fell into their limit low boy or or hook made no difference to them.

You would be brain dead to even ask or think a program would tow you from WY to MN

Coach-Net currently says they will tow to the nearest qualified service facility with no dollar or mileage limit.  I believe they leave the decision on type of tow to the provider.  I've only had Coach-Net since 2006 or 2007, and I don't recall it being any different in that time.  It certainly could have been different before then.

I was being facetious about towing from Wyoming to Minnesota.  I would never expect a no-cost tow that far.  There is a story circulating for quite a few years about Coach-Net paying to have a motorhome towed on a lowboy from Alaska back to the continental USA.  There had to have been special circumstances for that one if true.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
We have had GMAC for many years.  When we bought the 5a, they said that they would give only liability unless we had it appraised, which we did.  They then insured it for the appraised amount.  The appraiser, however, did say that it was a professional conversion rather than a home job.  I think that that made a difference to them.  After putting much work into it, I raised that insured amount.  They did not want another appraisal but told me to save the receipts for the work to document the increased value.  Of course, the real question would be what will they really pay out.  If the time comes, they may have a whole different system for determining value.

I would say, get the best policy you can but be prepared to a major argument and disappointment if you ever lose the coach.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline gus

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 04:22:30 PM »
Bus insurance and road service are two completely different things!

I had the below email exchange with my Progressive agent. It says to me they don't depreciate the agreed value:

"The answer to your question regarding Agreed Value is it protects the insured's investment in the RV without worry of depreciation for total losses.

Agreed Value may be determined by:

*Value of RV as indicated by Agent/Insured.
*Sales receipt if RV was purchased within the past 2 years.

*Referral to RVTrader.com, RVT.com, or NADA.com
*Taxes, tags, title fees, & all other fees should not be included

Thanks again for choosing Progressive!

Thalia
Outbound Customer Care, Progressive Insurance, (800) 289-7704 ext.656-2249
Office Hours: 2:15 PM - 11:00 PM Monday - Friday"

"--- Original Message ---

Thalia,

Please clarify to me just what "Agreed Value" means.

I was under the impression this means the amount I would be paid in the case of damage which results in a total write-off of the vehicle. However, in a recent online RV forum it was stated that this is not so, that this value is just the starting point for a depreciation schedule. If this is the case it appears to me that there is no point in my carrying collision on my motor home since I haven't the slightest idea of what I would receive in a total situation.

Can you answer this for me?"

Needless to say, I'm going to file this email!
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline ABart

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »
I have read over at the Prevost Community that some members have had good luck with Cheryl at Miller Insurance Agencyhttp://www.millerrvinsurance.com] [url]http://www.millerrvinsurance.com[/url]

Feel free to take this with a grain of salt. I have nothing larger than a sport utility vehicle to insure.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
Yep Miller Insurance I dealt with Cheryl's dad John a true bus guy for over 20 years she still carries my insurance and works at finding you the best carrier she may cost a little more but her dad taught her well  to cross the T's and dot the I's for the customer RIP John 

good luck

Offline Chuck Hancock

• 1986 Prevost Liberty
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 08:40:22 AM »
i have a 1986 Prevost Liberty conversion insured with Progressive.  I got on a soft shoulder in Nova Scotia and damn near turned it over (driver side drive and tag wheels were off of the ground).  Tore out the ring gear in the process of towing it out of the ditch.  Progressive paid a $10,000 claim (towing and rear end repair) with no questions asked.  I will look at my policy to see what they would have paid if i had rolled it and totaled it. 
Chuck & Beth Hancock
Ridgefield,  Ct

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 08:57:32 AM »
The towing co ate that bill lol Progressive will not pay for mechanical problems they will pay for damage caused by the failure,the bus I have now lost a engine and transmission and started a fire Progressive paid for the fire damage but the guy thought they should pay for the engine and transmission also didn't happen.

Progressive and the lien holder reached a agreement the fire damage was about the same as the amount owed so they totaled the bus the poor guy got only a few bucks for his part and I got a bus I will probably never finish lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal