Author Topic: Bridge 1, Prevost 0  (Read 8388 times)

Offline bkelly1011

• Brad Kelly
  • Nope, not my bus.
Bridge 1, Prevost 0
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:32:22 AM »
From what I can see in the picture below, no window posts survived after this overheight accident over the weekend in Boston; thankfully, only one kid was critically hurt, it could have been much worse.  Gotta pay attention to those signs.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/02/03/soldiers-field-road-reopened/dgMGHbi0PRVlx00NtBLSDP/story.html
Busnut wannabe.

Offline chessie4905

Re: Bridge 1, Prevost 0
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:23:18 AM »
here's some interesting posts on an rv forum on low clearances.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/low-bridge-warning-87671.html
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline belfert

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »
Interesting that the windshields seem to be intact even with the structure above them completely gone.  This crash seems to be mostly due to driver distraction related to looking at the GPS.  If he had been looking at the road he hopefully would have seen all the warning signs.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline expressbus

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:17:01 AM »
Ditto what Brian said. Also I'm just guessing here but my money is on the GPS system NOT being for any vehicle other than a passenger car. Best recommendation from me when "lost" is to stop NOW and figure out where you need to be. This is the second low bridge crash within the last month by a bus driven by someone that is lost. Maybe they kept rolling to avoid being embarrassed in front of the customers! Of course then there are people out there that don't know what 10 feet is nor how tall the vehicle they are driving is. Just plain stupidity anyway you care to look at it.

Just sayin' ...
Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
Notice how the top fell without breaking the windows just maybe the 3:30 am driving was a factor those are tall over 12 ft they will not go under a 10 ft bridge ,one more parts bus now
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Ralph7

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »
      That crash is exatly what my Rand Malllly  5510 will do!!!!!!!  It is junk!!!!!

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »
Still the best to buy the paper Rand McNally commercial truckers map book. They list short bridges-course New York has the most. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:40:20 AM »
In addition to maps and GPS, you have to look out the windshield.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline belfert

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 09:24:52 AM »
The description of the accident I heard on the radio news was the driver was looking at his GPS when he hit the bridge.  From that report it sounded like the GPS correctly warned of a low bridge, but it was too late.

An atlas only helps for pre-planning a route.  It sounds like the driver may have been lost.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »
Would like to add one thing here. Not this case: If you see new asphalt = lower clearance in most cases. Have seen that get a roof top ac. FWIW   Bob  (not mine)
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »
I am not a driving saint by any stretch of the imagination, but when I'm anywhere in city limits or small towns and I don't have semi trucks around me, I'm driving slow as a tortoise. It's annoying to all the cars around me, but I'm paranoid about hitting stuff overhead. We have a 9 inch roof raise and I'm always creeping under low power lines or telephone lines in small towns. If I'm in doubt (and I have been before) I stop in the middle of the street if I have to and poke my head out the roof hatch.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 03:19:55 AM »
If Lexus built trucks or buses you can be sure that they'd be fitted with a foolproof forward-facing radar system of some kind on the roof. Like parking sensors on steroids. Quite a few cars now are available with adaptive cruise control systems which can see a long way down the road in front of the vehicle, so it's got to be possible to have a similar system that could detect bridges and apply the brakes automatically

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline wyle.e.kyote

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 08:21:47 PM »
I keep thinking that some kind of laser based lidar system would work .. it should be able to see the difference between "bridge" and "other big truck in front of you"      The problem might be if it could somehow get into the eyeline of other traffic :(

oh well, back to ponderings about it..  There should be millions for the right answer.

If Lexus built trucks or buses you can be sure that they'd be fitted with a foolproof forward-facing radar system of some kind on the roof. Like parking sensors on steroids. Quite a few cars now are available with adaptive cruise control systems which can see a long way down the road in front of the vehicle, so it's got to be possible to have a similar system that could detect bridges and apply the brakes automatically

Jeremy

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
yup...lazer guided radar enabling braking systems....that'll solve the problem....maybe even a steering over ride too....thats what i want...as my granddaughter says.....
not.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 03:48:03 AM »
Yup, It can not be the idiot drivers fault, now we need more idiot proof gadgets to protect ourselfs from inept drivers ?
Guess it is still true that having a body in the seat is better than a no tour, make all passengers sign a no fault paper, and hang on & duck your head quickly.
MO
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal