Author Topic: 71& 92 engines  (Read 11728 times)

Offline Don Fairchild

71& 92 engines
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:34 AM »
Anyone intrested can go to youtube and look up Dertoit diesel 71 and 92 epa compliant engines. Watch the video. See what you think.

Thanks

Don

Offline lostagain

Re: 71& 92 engines
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:22:27 PM »
Here is a direct link:

Detroit Diesel 71 and 92 Series EPA Tier II Compliant Upgrade Kits

I visited Don F. at his shop in Bakersfield last Spring. Quite impressive to see the cam shafts, the liners and the pistons with redesigned crowns. Boats can overhaul their Detroits with CCTS kits and be EPA compliant. A lot cheaper than re-powering with 4 strokes.

Don knows the 2 stroke DD very well.

I wish him well with this venture.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline Rick 74 MC-8

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »
That's great Don
Do you have an exchange program yet?

Rick
About 20 Miles West Of Chicago

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »
Great video Don! I enjoyed learning what you did to comply with the EPA!

How cost effective is it to do that to our beloved DD's?

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:37:26 PM »
Is it a low boost turbo or full power?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 03:21:16 AM »
Did you finally make it Don with CARB lol if you did they will probably pass laws requiring a Tier IV rating now for the old beast, doesn't tier 4 go into affect in 2017

I know the farm and equipment manufactures are shaking their heads

I was reading where the cost of diesel generators will increase by 3000 bucks for a 12kw because of tier 4 another cut in NOx of 80 % 

In case you guys don't know the Tier rating are for off road engines anyway glad you made it others have gone before you and failed
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:00:17 AM »
Now, that is a GREAT bit of communication!

Stirs the heart, doesn't it?

And then for the more cerebral, all the stuff you'd want to read follows.

Every busnut should be forwarding the link of that video to anyone they know who runs machinery. Most are likely to not know their options, short of expensive equipment replacement.

Keep our friend Don's telephone ringing off the hook!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Don Fairchild

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »
JC, thanks for posting the link, I tried but it would'nt work for me.

Clifford we did make it and I am now in testing for the tier III regs.
I have to get all my patients in place before I can proceed. Very time consuming and costly. This administration changed all the rules and if you sell one or give unit away it can no longer be patiented. 

Lin it is a standard turbo with full boost. Rick what do you have in mind, I can ship parts anywhere in the world.

BW and all thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I would like nothing more then to have to put several more phone lines in and hire people to answer them.

What a great family bus nuts are.

Don

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
Good going buddy,I wonder if the State of Texas ( TERP)  will pay the 8 grand to rebuild a old 2 strokes with your kits instead of destroying the engines maybe a few bucks to be made on the deal lol  

Makes you sick when they knock a hole in the side of the blocks even on the V12's there I understand NY,NJ and other Atlantic states are doing the same thing all for the 8 grand

I did laugh when I ask James why when they cutting holes in some 50 series his reply was "they are worth more dead than alive "
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Don Fairchild

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 01:08:53 PM »
Clifford It is up to the end user or owner what they use. When you use any federal aid like terp or moyer or derra you must punch a hole in the block. the epa has been several times by class action to get some of these engines but they won't let them go in america. The get loaded on boats and go to china to be melted down for some thing else and then sold back to us.  Obama turned EPA over to the UN the first 6 six months of his first term and you can't sue the UN. Go figure

You need to see all the John deers and cumming setting on the banks that have beed removed because the owners don't like them.

Don

Offline HB of CJ

Great Video And Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
Now wondering how long CARB will allow DD 2 strokes in ANY California fire apparatus?  Could this approach give all of those good old "fire irons" a new lease on life?  What kind of power do these clean(er) 2 strokes put out?  Would they even work in fire apparatus?  Curious minds wonder. HB of CJ (old coot) (retired CA fire service)

Offline TomC

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:56 AM »
The "Tier" system is for off road engines. CARB (California Air Resource Board) uses the year of the engine to determine the level of smog device. Here's what has been implemented so far:
-2004 (that was pushed back to 2002 because of engine manufacturers false recording of their engines)-exhaust gas recirculation.
-2007-addition of catalytic converter with Diesel Particulate Filter (requiring 15ppm [part per million]) ultra low sulfur Diesel fuel.
-2010-addition of SCR (Selective Catalyst Reduction) after the DPF using DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid-some call it Urea. It is 32% ammonia with deionized filtered water-non hazardous.)
-2014 GHG (Green House Gas)-no change to the exhaust emission controls, but a requirement that trucks get 5% better fuel mileage which most all engine manufacturers are meeting with the help of better aerodynamics from the truck manufacturers.

So far, at least in California, RV's are exempt from retrofitting exhaust or updating engines. When and if this does happen, I'll just be installing a new Cummins ISL 450hp @ 1250lb/ft torque with the full exhaust treatment. But until I'm forced into that, I'll continue to run my old style of mechanical engines. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline HB of CJ

Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
Now I'm wondering when the first ultra low emissions diesel-type HD power plant will be completely necessary to live and work in California.  My brother, (now retired fire service) has told me horror stories of the projected compressed natural gas, (ultra cold or not I do not know) fire apparatus.  That would be literally a sight to behold.  Thanks for the cool video on letting our beloved 2 stroke DDs live on...at least off road.  HB of CJ (old coot) :)

Offline TomC

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »
The big problem with using natural gas with a fire truck is that only compressed natural gas would be acceptable. Why? Liquified natural gas vents. That's because the refrigerated liquified gas is at -230 degrees and even in the insulated tank is boiling all the time. Hence when the tank pressure gets above 150psi, it will vent out-not good when the truck is parked in the fire house.

Compressed natural gas is completely doable for fire trucks. Currently, the only engine certified in California is the Cummins ISLG 8.9 liter at 320hp and 1000lb/ft torque-more then enough for a fire truck. The only drawback is the gas storage. Most trucks have a tank cabinet behind the cab with up to 5 15gal DGE (Diesel Gallon Equivalent) for 75 gal. This takes about 18" of chassis space. There are also chassis mounted torpedo tanks, but most fire trucks can't use this because of pump plumbing. 

Later this year Cummins is coming out with the ISX12G that will be rated up to 400hp and 1450lb/ft torque-much more along the lines of current big block Diesel engines. Cummins also has the ISX15 up to 500hp and 1650lb/ft torque, but this engine is a dual fuel-using about 10% Diesel to fire off the natural gas. Dual fuel engines are not approved by CARB in California. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Boomer

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »
Why not just move out of Kalifornia?
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal