Author Topic: Updated tow bar info, please.  (Read 6493 times)

Offline chuckdrum

Updated tow bar info, please.
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed here in the past, but I don't see much in recent years' postings. Maybe the products haven't changed much, or maybe they have, but I'd like to hear some experienced opinions on Roadmaster vs. Blue Ox towing systems.  For reference, I have a '79 MCI-5C and will be towing a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT with manual tran.

Thanks all!
Chuck
1979 MCI 5C
Seattle, WA

Offline muldoonman

Re: Updated tow bar info, please.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
I think I have a Falcon and it's the easiest tow bar I've every hooked up . Had them mount it on a 2010 Ford Edge. Self aligning, plug electric in an go! Built a rigid one for a jeep years ago and that was a booger.

Offline Ralph7

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »
   I have 3 different types of roadmaster tow bars, all have are easy to hook. The last is a all terrian, black hawk by roadmaster.  Because I needed to up grade, the black hawk is rated at 10,000lbs. now towing a dodge 2500, 4X4 loaded with toys.
    You will not need that model, the falcon has a stinger and stays on the bus, the stowmaster stays on the toad and uses a ball on the bus. All are easy to use, an easy hook up.
     I hvae not used any of the others. so not much help here.

Lots of used stuff on the market, that's how I got mine. 

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 06:10:24 PM »
 I found the Stowmaster 5000 I have and the plates for my Liberty all on E-Bay for $250.00. Very easy to hook-up and maintain.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:13:47 AM »
Chuck,

My opinion is that you will find many people that are happy with both brands. I have a car mounted Roadmaster 5000 that I got used from a motorhome club member and a motor home mounted Roadmaster Blackhawk that was on our current bus when we bought it. I like the motorhome mounted Blackhawk the best. I got the car brackets on hitchtrader.com.

Good luck with your choice, Sam
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:02:14 AM »
We have Stowmaster 5000 and it works fine.  I don't think you can go wrong with either of the ones you mention.  Shop what you need and see how the price compares.  We got ours used, and I have seen other used ones for sale, so they may be easier to find than used Blue Ox, but that's just a guess.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
  I have a Stowmaster 5000. My father obtained it for his coach, but never used it. I think he thought the car adapters were too expensive, so he kept using a homemade one, which worked fine for 20 plus years. I recently bought the car adapters for mine on EBay and will be using it. If you are patient, you can find all the components on EBay, although you may need to buy the bar separately from the adapters to get a good deal. I looked up the adapters and part numbers on the Roadmaster site, then searched till
I found them used. Unless you have a not common toad, they will show up. Verify that the part number and pictures match the RM site when you purchase them. 5000 towbar is really well made and is automatically adjustable to line up with coach; read RM'S info. You can check Craigs list also, but plan on the trip to buy them, as I wouldn't want to take a chance on those sellers word like EBay.
  Of course, there are other brands that are just as good; just get them used as they are all costly new.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline chuckdrum

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 08:32:23 PM »
Thanks for the info, all.  I have friend with a Stowmaster 5000 that he'll likely sell very reasonably.  Just wasn't sure if newer tow systems were appreciably better.  Might just go that route for now since several of you mentioned that particular model by name.
Chuck
Chuck
1979 MCI 5C
Seattle, WA

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 06:02:51 AM »
That model is ss, easy to connect to vehicle and rv and should be useable for many years, as they keep making tow bar adapters for the newest model cars and trucks for it. With the  car adapter removable feature, all you see are the stub ends with hitch bar removed from vehicle with the quik pins.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Ralph7

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »
   My Stowmaster is so old, it does not have the zip code on the address of roadmaster. no signs of wear, a little rusty, came from Fl. ..    All need a little TLC, will not sell! 
    I purchased new brackets for all my toads, 1: all parts, extra bolts,,  2: instructions( on grand cherokee btackets go under core support, above uniframe)   3 other cars you remove an reinstall front bumper!!!!
    E seller I used for all, Yes $330.000 ,, for the adaptor complete.
    PM me if you like.

Offline Bill B /bus

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
We are a Blue Ox fan. Even stayed in Pender at the free campground. I prefer to keep the weight off the tow car when disconnected.

Bill
Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT740

Offline sdc53

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:24:59 PM »
I buy Roadmaster stuff because they design and build it all right across the river from me in good old Vancouver WA, USA.
Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 12:13:49 AM »
Glad we have choices, I used the Roadmaster Stowmaster until it fell/broke apart, so went to Blue Ox, they have the best clue on how to make a sturdy hitch and are very popular, sure there are others that work, bu I like what is tough and works for my F150 p/u for 40K+ miles so far and not one issue, easy on/off.  Also use the Air Force (air) brake system, that is also a great & simple to use unit, only have it due to lawyers behind every tree.
Cheers
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Boomer

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 05:33:31 AM »
I'll second Scott's opinion about Roadmaster.  I had a used tow bar but needed the base plate for my toad.  I have rarely seen such great customer service.  Great outfit.  You do need an appointment but they do all the installations right at the manufacturing plant in Vancouver.  Great folks.  I watch my tow bar rigging pretty closely.  Never had any problem or anything loosening up.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 07:37:13 PM »
how did your Roadmaster "fail, broke apart"? Did welds fail, metal fatigue, or bolts loosen, etc.?
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal