Author Topic: Bus leveling ? What methods?  (Read 13632 times)

Offline scanzel

Bus leveling ? What methods?
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:50:42 AM »
Is there any Busnut's who has made a coach leveling system using solenoid air control valves using the existing air bags. Anyone have a print etc to share. My coach has 8 air bags and I would like to build a system using the air bags. Hydraulic is great but expensive. ;D ;D
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Re: Bus leveling ? What methods?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:05:29 AM »
Several on here have done this. Fred Hobe had a great link on it...but can't find it anywhere anymore  :-\  Someone have that link? Also, I'm going to sound like a broken record, but using some sort of hydraulic jacks (even 20 ton harbor freight ones) will eliminate the coach bounce syndrome. Leveling on bags allows the coach to bounce when walking, jumping, running in place, or in-bus cage fighting.  ;D  That being said, with hydraulic jacks under our beast, she sits as solid as a stone...even in high winds.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »
A couple of months back, we installed a system using cables to raise or lower the ride height (leveling) valves.  We have gone on some short trips and used it, but I am still not 100% sure it will hold up to extended use.  Bob G. has a similar system though that he has used for years.  One thing to remember though is that there is a limit of 4-5 inches of adjustment it will give you from back to front.  You would still have to use blocks on more of an incline.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline scanzel

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »
Hydraulic is great but finding a place to mount them can be a challange. I think that mounting some latter just for stabilization, but not actually support the weight of the bus but just prevent bounce or movement.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 08:45:53 AM »
I am somewhat surprised by the concern that walking around in a 30k-40k bus causes so much bouncing.  It kind of reminds me of the story of the Princess and the Pea.  I guess that means that I am not royalty.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
    • Creative Custom Cabinetry
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »
Iam in the process of that right now. I just replaced my front air bags and added selonid valves so that when traveling it uses the factory leveling valves and when parked I can raise it up and down. So far the front works like a charm. I haven't got to the back ones yet but they shouldn't be any different. The way I did mine it takes 3 valves for the front and 6 for the rear. The 3 are hooked together in a way that 1=up,1=down, and 1=travel/park and when parked they need no power just when traveling. I will try and draw up a little diagram and post.
Jason

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:25:53 AM »
Pete Pappas used to sell an air leveling system but I haven't seen him on the board in a long time. As I recall his system used solenoid valves and still retained the height control valves for driving down the road. I don't know if he included any instructions with his kit but if he did maybe he or someone else will post the a link to them.

We had a leveling system on our 4106 that used 4 air ride seat valves but eliminated the height control valves. Every time I was ready to drive I had to bring the bus back to road height manually. That was a PIA but still better than no campground leveling.

Our MC8 has a leveling system, installed by the PO, made by Quality Coach, that uses 4 position rotary valves and retains the height control valves. The positions are: Auto (on road), Raise, Lower, and Hold. I don't think that system is available any longer, but probably could be replicated if you could find the valves, or use a combination of valves.

Good luck, Sam
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline gus

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »
Lin,

Even my 4107 bounces a lot with bags full, I finally learned to lower the bags as much as possible overnight and that solved the problem. It also makes in/out easier.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline joel_newton

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »
Gumpy has an excellent article on his web site:  http://www.gumpydog.com/Bus/MC9_WIP/Mechanical/Leveling_System/leveling_system.htm

Good idea and great craftsmanship!

I plan to use his approach with one exception.  My bus has a "raise" air line with dash mounted manual control valve.  I'll plumb this into an air pilot valve which, when activated, will shut off air from the leveling valves and supply air to the manual electric solenoid raise/lower valves.  When you are traveling the leveling valves work normally and no solenoids are pulling power.  
1998 Dina Viaggio 1000
Detroit Series 60, Allison B500
Near Santa Rosa, California

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »
BW nothing on that second link seems to work or is it just me?

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 04:49:23 PM »
I tried it, it clicks for me, but I'm the one who stuck it there.

I recall the address used to be shorter, I don't know...

Anyone else?

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Don4107

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »
Our 5B has a simple system.  Open the little door that was the access for the restroom fill.  Two three position valves, right and left. 

Position 1 = Normal over the road leveling operation.
Position 2 = Deflate (lower). 
Position 3 = Hold. 

Pretty simple.  Two valves and some tubing between the leveling valves and the air bellows. A couple spirit levels. Nothing electric. No gauges.  There is little to leak.  Holds real well. 

Only thing lacking is a fill position but this way you can't over inflate either. Could add easily.

Somewhere down the lists of things to do is one for the front end. Only real reason is to allow me to lower it for lower step height.

Don4107 now 5B
Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 06:17:14 PM »
Steve: the Prevost system would be easy to duplicate and simplify. Would take about  5 ea 200 series norgren valves and 5 elect actuwaited selnoid valves.In limited use would last years.  Or just lie to anchor points of leveling valves and go from there(mechanical)  One is simple and one is expensive. At prevostcommunity  there is a complete layout of how the prevost level-low system works.  see articles.  Use those basic principles.  The built in delay in the leveling valves keeps them from loosing to much air because od movement inside coach. Now if you start running back and forth and jumping up and down--you get the idea. I keep my aux air set at 90# I have level -low now. Thinking abot going back to mechanical.  Low on list if you know what I mean.   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Emcemv

• 1973 MCI MC-7 Combo
    • Pictures
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 07:37:24 PM »
The PO of my bus, Jack Morrisroe, was the owner of Quality Coach and designed and patented an automatic air leveling system. Our bus has the system and it works quite well, independent control of each air bag on the bus from the drivers seat.  I have not yet looked into my ability to share info on this.  I have a lot of the information but it is patented.
Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.

Offline wayne

• 1990 Setra 215 HDH
  • www.mybusgarage.com
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 08:41:03 PM »
I just overhauled the entire air system on my bus and replaced the old style leveling valves and solenoids with all current equipment. Some of the original valves and solenoids were in the $3-$400 range each.  I replaced everything in the system with new for around $500 in parts.  I am using the bags for leveling when parked but I only have kneel, lower and raise. I did replace all shocks using road king on the front and added a rear sway bar so I,m hoping the movement when parked is minimal.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 10:06:56 PM »
I used Ride Rite by Firestone. I rebuilt them and ran new 1/4" air lines to the rear. I left the leveling valves in but disconnected them.The Valves have a up and down button with a gauge next to it on 4 independent valves. Each has a supply line and an exhaust line. No electrical just 2 for the front and 2 for the back. They are connected directly to the air beams. Each side are connected together with 2 bags each. You can lift or drop each corner or drop the rear all the way down and lift the front all the way up etc. Slow to fill at first after dumping all the air but keep them at 80PSI front and 90 back when driving. When parked does not bounce around, but then we are to old to bus cage fight, LOL ;D

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 04:32:21 PM »
Bruce,

Thanks for putting a person's name with the Quality Coach company. Is Jack Morrisroe still selling his leveling system? His system is really well thought out and uses high quality components. Do you know if he manufactured his own valves or are they used in some other application and available off the shelf somewhere?   Can you share contact information, either here or in an email to me? I would like to talk to him, if that would be acceptable to him.

Thanks, Sam
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline Emcemv

• 1973 MCI MC-7 Combo
    • Pictures
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
Sam

Jack Morrisroe passed away last year, he was a good friend of ours and we were blessed to get his bus. I have all the info on the leveling system and obviously have one in the bus. The system was patented and I am talking with his son about sharing design information. I will update you all when I know more.
Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal