Author Topic: Cadillac Automatic Override  (Read 8792 times)

Offline eagle19952

Re: Cadillac Automatic Override
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
ok lets get one thing straight I  was saying you should not have just an alarm and no shut down....
HAVING ONLY an alarm sounded foolish to me.( If thats not what you meant...good !)
Having a shutdown system that allows your motor to reach a critical failure point doesn't sound to good either....
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 01:10:12 PM »
In 'round about typing...

The driver is the ultimate shut down decision maker.

If you can trust the driver to do what's right when the dash lights up, no need for a sudden auto shut down feature.

As luvrbus notes, the sudden stop of coolant flow will allow high localized temperatures within the engine.

We committed types are going to do what we're going to do.

The novice still has to decide what to do with their coach, and are entitled to full disclosure.

Very few of the common man's personal autos will protect against terminal failure, and that's a greater risk to the family fortune than the RV.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline belfert

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »
My bus had some overheating issues when I got it.  The DDEC shut the engine down on a grade right after I picked up the bus.  I knew enough to restart the engine as soon as I got on the shoulder.  My understanding is you have to get the coolant flowing right away to get the heat out of the engine.

I replaced the radiator core and it has never overheated since then.  It runs right around 189 to 195 all the time.  I replaced the dash gauges and the new temp gauge has a small alamr light if it gets too hot.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal