Author Topic: Battery Types  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
Battery Types
« on: March 16, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »
This is a very well written article about different battery types.  I didn't know almost any of this.

http://associationofcleanenergyprofessionals.com/battery-science/deep-cycle-batteries
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline sledhead

Re: Battery Types
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 09:42:52 AM »
Im still sold on the good old gulf cart batteries. best bang for the buck             dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline Lostranger

• Sophia
  • Gillig Low Floor
    • Jim Huskins
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »
I'm taking the plunge and going AGM on my current conversion project. We live in an off-grid situation now, and the bus will be our full-time home. This is my first foray into renewable energy, but I have been a fan and a student for many years. That said, I have no experience with flooded deep-cycle batteries.

What I can say is that the 6 group 27 AGM batteries we are using (two more on backorder) far exceed my expectations. Only two of our four 255 watt Samsung solar panels are on line, but we're meeting our energy needs with little generator use. I was dismayed for a couple nights at how low the battery bank pulled down, but the helpful folk where we bought our MagnaSine inverter helped me locate the phantom load that was keeping the inverter excited all night. Twas a cell phone charger.

Flooded batteries were not an option in our Gillig Low Floor conversion. The batteries will be essentially be in the living space. I knew we would go AGM from the start. Of course the expense is considerable, but I believe they have come down some. Bought mine from Carquest Auto Supply. I know the owner well, and he located them from his supplier and ordered them as we needed.

I just got the remote control unit for my MS-4024 inverter. Found out two days ago that the default setting for the inverter/charger is flooded batteries. I can already tell that the bank is staying up better since I changed the programming.

Here is a shot of the temporary setup in the bus while conversion is in progress:

This was before batteries 5 and 6 arrived. Seven and 8 should be here soon. I have plenty of room should we decide to add more in the future. I'm wiring for shore power, but we plan to make little use of it. We will seldom, for instance, stay in RV parks while traveling, and we have no landline power at home base.

I recommend that anyone seriously consider AGM.
Jim H.
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,
You CAN convert a low floor.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »
AGM batteries fail just like any battery what is going to happen if one vents that has happen to me before and the bad battery (LifeLine) took out the whole bank

JMO but I prefer any type battery on the outside in a separate compartment glad mine were outside what a mess that was to cleanup
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Lostranger

• Sophia
  • Gillig Low Floor
    • Jim Huskins
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 03:13:57 PM »
The only AGM battery failures with which I am familiar were due to severe overcharging. But I'm no expert, and my experience is limited. My battery area will be vented to the exterior through the bulkhead in front of the rear axle. Overcharging will be difficult with our setup. I remain a fan.
Jim H.
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,
You CAN convert a low floor.

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »
Hi All, just replaced the 8Ds with group 31s. 8Ds were only 2 years old from NAPA, I missed one 6 month check on them and one of the batteries was low on water and it brought them down, its dry here in the desert, I bought the 31s from napa here in lancaste,ca, Magna made in usa, $99, will take one 8D as core for both, hope to use other that may stilll be good, maybe for house battery, but I understand the size of the plates may not be suitable for such use, what do you think, it still holds electricity. Lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:05:32 AM »
Many consider 8D's to be a combination of deep and starting. Course-there are dedicated starting batteries (with many thin plates for concentrated jolt for starting) and there are deep cycle batteries (fewer thicker plates that retain amps but are slower to release). You can use the 8D for deep cycle-but if it is a designed starting battery, will just have a shorter life. Which ever battery you use, should not allow the battery to go below 12v without a load on it. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
I check my batteries on the first of every month no matter where i am.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal