Author Topic: Don't use the wrong fuel  (Read 11475 times)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Re: Don't use the wrong fuel
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:11:08 AM »
Somebody got fired. Diesel limos...kewl.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline CrabbyMilton

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:33:56 AM »
Makes one wonder how some people make it thru their lives when simple instructions can't be understood. What will happen to a diesel engine if gasoline is introduced to it? A few years ago, I was getting fuel for my car. Along came a lady in a FORD SUPER DUTY pickup and she proceeded to fill the tank. Problem was the truck was a diesel and the station DOES NOT sell diesel.  :) Iwas going to say something but if she's that dumb or crazy, I just assume stay away.

Offline 06 Bill

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:15 AM »
I spent 30 + years with MB. Many times we got diesels towed in full of gasoline they just stop I.E. won't run. Drain
them, fill with diesel, change the filters, prime, start, and they were on there way. No disadvantage, the advantage
was a nicely flushed out system. Oh and we saved the gas for own cars.   06 Bill

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:58:49 AM »
diesels don't like gas. bad news. gas engines can run ish on diesel without dire consequences

Running Gasoline in a Mercedes Diesel Engine: Possible Consequences by Kent Bergsma
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:27:55 AM »
My understanding is that many modern high pressure injector systems running the the 20Kpsi plus range will have damaged injectors if they try to run with gas in the mix.  The bill to change the injectors in my pickup truck would be around $3500, they ain't cheap.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »
The presidential limo is so heavy with the armor blast panels under the car and very thick windows, even though it looks like a Caddy limo, it is actually built on a GMC Topkick truck. It weighs around 18,000lbs and has a Duramax V-8 Diesel. Not exactly fast and only has a top speed of about 85, but then again, the president has many around him. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »
Funny story, When we were kids on the farm  we had the above ground gas and diesel tanks that set side by side. Dad suspected some one was helping them selves to gas. He waited until both were empty and switched fuel. A couple of days later there was a car on the side of the road about half way to town. We do't know if that was the thief but the gas seemed to last longer after that.

Wayne

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »
I have a old TD-9 International tractor in Idaho you start it on gas then when warm change it over to diesel
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »
We just had a fellow bus nut full timer stop by our current location to see us. On the way into town he decided use Gas Buddy to find the cheapest diesel in the area. He went to the station, pull up, inserted the green handled nozzle and topped off the tank.

3 miles down the road, the engine quit. Thankfully, as he was rolling into a parking lot and got safely parked and out of the way.

Turns out, he never actually stopped to read the pump - it was mid-grade he filled up with. The station didn't even have diesel. He called his diesel mechanic, and he said he could try mixing in some ATF, and it may run through the tank ok. But he opted not to risk it.

He had the tank pumped out in the morning, we helped him ferry over about 20G of diesel, changed out the fuel filters, primed it up.. and away he went to fill the tank again... this time reading the pump 4 times before filling.

That was an expensive lesson, and one none of us will soon forget!

- Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »
Need to be careful about green being for diesel most stations are green for 85% corn gasoline and black for diesel here they are anyway 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 05:44:31 PM »
Need to be careful about green being for diesel most stations are green for 85% corn gasoline and black for diesel here they are anyway 

Black for diesel here too (green for unleaded, blue for expensive unleaded)

The proportion of cars with diesel engines is vastly higher in Europe than in the States, which presumably means it's far more common for the wrong fuel to be put in.
Volkswagen in particular make a big play in their advertising about how you can't tell when you're driving a VW diesel - so lots of VW adverts featuring people who've done things like stick Post-It notes all over their car with the word 'diesel' on, so they remember when they get to the gas station.

Here's a British Volkswagen TV advert with the same theme:

Cute 4 years old girl swearing: bollocks !

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 10:19:30 PM »
And Red for Racing fuel. Didn't read the pump at a 76 Union in Cali and filled it to 1/4 full in my truck before I realized it was hot fuel  and about 60 cents more. I just stopped and finished with regular unleaded. It ran pretty good. LOL

Dave5Cs :D
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »
In 2004 in Lake Havasu we had just filled up a van when they came out and started putting signs on the pumps saying out of order. We left and a couple of  miles later started having problems. Did not find out until the next day that they had put 6000 gallons of diesel into the wrong tank a few hours before we filled up. Would have been nice if they had come out and told me before i started pumping.   >:(   They ended up paying for a lot of folks having their cars taken to a shop and drained, etc.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline lostagain

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »
I put half a tank of gas once near Missoula, MT, in my old bus before I realized the yellow handle was not for diesel  like in Canada. Put in 2 gal of diesel conditioner and topped it off with diesel and away I went. The old 4-71 never knew the difference. It ran just as good. I overhauled it the following winter and didn't see any signs of trouble. These old DD are quite tolerant.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal