Author Topic: Don't use the wrong fuel  (Read 11447 times)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Re: Don't use the wrong fuel
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »
Green handle is diesel here.  Black is gas.  Sounds like some standardization would be good.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline wal1809

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 11:07:07 AM »
I run gasoline in all of my diesel engines.  I used to make bio diesel, then switched to heated vegtable oil but changed again.  In my Excursion I run a 50 %diesel/ 50% veg oil.  I then throw 2 gallons of gasoline on top of 40 gallons of the 50/50 mix.  It runs like a champ on that blend.  No chemicals, no hours of labor to make bio D, none of the Bio D related crapola anymore.

If you ever find yourself in the fix of putting gasoline in the tank instead of diesel, just pour twice amount of motor oil as the amount of gasoline.  You will probably never know the difference with the exception of great pedal response.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »
Wal, Do you use the same mixture with a DD 2-stroke?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline HB of CJ

There Must Be More To This Story...
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 09:04:12 PM »
This sounds more like an error done at the local gas station when some young dumb kid does NOT know what he is doing...and puts in the wrong fuel.   But for this to happen within the rings of security concerning safe transport of THE PRESIDENT!!!....heads are going to roll.  I mean, how could such a thing happen?  Must be more here than what we are getting.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Offline AndyG

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 06:54:46 PM »
Almost sounds a little funny.  I doubt that they had anything with them which runs on gas instead of diesel.  It's likely that it will all run on JetA which can be found anywhere.

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 07:34:02 PM »
A friend once had a beautiful deep forrest green Hummer 1 and he said he was considering some sort of $expensive$ after market fuel injection modification -thingie that would let him be multi fuel from the cab just by turning a knob or switch or something.  He said he could then run... #1 diesel, #2 diesel, Jet A, KEROSINE!, (?) or a crazy mix of all of the above.  Is such a thing available for the military? ... and if soos, would it be a good idea on the President's Limo to prevent this from happening... in the future?  Dunno fur sures.  HB of CJ (dunno old cooot) :)

Offline belfert

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 07:54:54 PM »
The military fuel of choice is JP8 when available.  They like it because they can use the same fuel for generators, aircraft, and vehicles. 

I highly doubt they fuel the presidential limo at a civilian gas station.  Everything purchased in most foreign countries for presidential trips is scrutinized heavily before getting near the president.  I wouldn't be surprised if the military provides the fuel where we have US bases.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 06:18:13 AM »
For those brave enough to come down to Mexico:  ;D

Premium is always red, Regular (Magna) is always green and Diesel is always black. (The only brand of fuel here is Pemex.) If the particular station does not carry diesel, you can see that the black level of the sign is missing, before you ever pull in.
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 07:20:02 AM »
  Green handle is diesel here.  Black is gas.  Sounds like some standardization would be good. 

I stopped at a Hess station in Kinston NC once.  They had diesel on one side of a "multi-nozzle" pump.   There were PUG, MUG, and RUG on both sides and the other slot was K-1 Kerosene home heating fuel.  The K-1 and one PUG had orange handles, the diesel and both RUG's had green handles, both MUG's had black handles, and the other PUG had a yellow handle.  Not unusual in my experience.  Yeah, some standardization would be good.

(PUG = Premium Unleaded Gas
MUG = Mid-Grade
RUG = Regular ... )
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline wal1809

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 11:38:27 AM »
Wal, Do you use the same mixture with a DD 2-stroke?

Hello Lin.  No Sir I did a 2 tank conversion on the DD before I got tired of bioD.  I carry 160 gallons of WVO.  On its way to the engine I have a series of heat exchangers to up the temp of the oil to 180 degrees prior to engine entry.  I start on regular diesel then switch over. 

I have a friend of mine and he just runs 50 diesel and 50 wvo year round.  He just doesn't give a rats arse.  He kind of figures if it destroys the engine (Which he and I both seriously doubt it would) he will just pull it and fix it.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal