Author Topic: Air leaks and removing unused systems  (Read 4518 times)

captain ron

Air leaks and removing unused systems
« on: November 29, 2006, 03:21:36 PM »
I have an air leak under my dash in the old air dump for the door. can I completely remove this stuff and just cap off the air?
Also is there any reason to hang on to the stuff I remove for any future use ? or should I pitch it or try to sell it or barter with it?

Offline tekebird

Re: Air leaks and removing unused systems
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 04:57:02 PM »
ron that air dump you speak of is actually an air latch.....which closes the door completely.

captain ron

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 05:18:05 PM »
The plackard says "to open door manualy dump air" but regardless my door is now a 1 piece door and no mechanical open or close. So I don't need any of that stuff. So I would like to remove any air stuff I don't need to eliminate any future problems.

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:50:49 PM »
Don't pitch it! There is always someone looking for parts!  ;D

Also, fix the air leaks! It's costing you fuel to pump that air!!!  ;D ;D

1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 07:37:21 PM »
Also, fix the air leaks! It's costing you fuel to pump that air!!!  ;D ;D

Ohhhh, zing!!!

But, he's right. That compressor is costing you fuel, too, every time it cycles it puts a load on the engine, so fixing leaks will save you fuel in the long run.

You can remove anything that's not needed like the door opening mechanism. If I understand correctly you originally had an air operated split door. If it didn't, then you might be talking about the claw air lock, as mentioned before.

There may be some unneeded lines in the rear, also, that were used in the coach bathroom. Be sure to check your regulators, cylinders, and also hoses with soapy water if you really want to track down all the air leaks. I've seen air leak from the middle of braid covered hoses, and it's not uncommon for regulators, cylinders, and skinner valves to all leak.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

captain ron

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 08:16:30 PM »
You are correct about the split door. but my bus never had a toilet. it was a transit in colorado.

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 11:29:05 PM »
Just a thought.  I have a transit.  I used the air actuator for the front door to raise the trap door that covers the stairs for the co-pilots seat.  So the original door controls are still to the side of the driver.  I kept the rear door also (that goes directly into my bathroom).  I also kept the air cylinder to use on the trap door for those stairs.  I have a push button that activates the air solenoid.  It's very important that you don't bend down to pick up the trap door manually, but instead simple push the button 24" above the trap door to operate it.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal