Author Topic: Winter is here, what do I do????  (Read 9473 times)

Offline TomC

Re: Winter is here, what do I do????
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 08:32:07 AM »
Wow!  I'm sure glad I live in L.A. where I don't have to go through that rigamaroe!  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 08:34:12 AM »
Wow!  I'm sure glad I live in L.A. where I don't have to go through that rigamaroe!  Good Luck, TomC

I'll take the riga-what-ever over L.A. any day!!  :D
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 08:43:10 AM »
I use to live in Huntington Beach. It was fun, but I'm not sure I would be up to it anymore. But the weather beat the pants off of ours!!

Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 09:11:41 AM »

Its not that big a deal - 1/2 hour max & 2 gallons of AF.  I used to be able to do my 5th wheel in 5 minutes with under a gallon of AF.  When we go south we have to winterize before we leave home and then do it all over again somewhere around Salt Lake City on the way home.  I used to do the fifth wheel in a truck stop parking lot while Marilyn went to the bathroom - it took no time at all.  The manifolds on the bus were a bit of a challenge but they were built (probably by accident  :P ) such that I can push AF through them and back to the tank.

And I can't imagine how you put up with LA traffic.  I've been through your city about 4 times in my life and my blood pressure goes through the roof every time.  There is no way I could live there.  I'll trade a bit of winterizing hassle for that any day.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline TomC

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 03:33:14 PM »
Driving in L.A. is all timing. You don't go through at early morning or late afternoon.  Listen to the radio for sig-alerts (L.A. expression for traffic jams).  If the traffic stops, I get off and take the surface streets.  I am a salesman and am driving around the city much of the time with no problems.  Granted, I do feel pitty for those that have no option but to go the way of the traffic when they travel.  It helps I grew up here.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

JerryH

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 07:47:54 PM »
We use the coach in winter too.  I don't drain and re-fill as to the need.  The coach has (2) electric bay heaters on thermostats set for about 35-40 deg.   I installed a schraeder valve and some ball valves to bypass pump, HW tanks, etc.  I place a stick holding open the toilet foot valve, open all the faucets and set my airs psi to about 40 and blow both HW and cold lines out.  I've not had a problem in the 3 years I've done it.  When I need to use the coach, usually within the week ... it's ready fairly quickly.

Jerry H.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal