Author Topic: SE Texas Bus Mechanics?  (Read 5503 times)

Offline rubyrambler

SE Texas Bus Mechanics?
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:20:18 AM »
Hi All,

I am in Port Lavaca in SE Texas and am wondering if anyone knows of a good mechanic that can check my steering and air ride adjustment. Just traveled about 1000 miles and steering feels loose. Would someone who works on local school buses be a good person to contact?

Thanks,
Kat

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
Re: SE Texas Bus Mechanics?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:49:02 AM »
What type of bus?? Do you have tools and do it your self abilities? School bus Mech  Maybe? Depends on bus type.  The more info you give the better answer you will receive. Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline rubyrambler

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 06:56:44 AM »
Hi Bob,

My coach is a  64 GM 4106. I saw on another forum that someone else with the same coach is having the same problem. Kingpin and steering gearbox issues apparently. He said he had the kingpins replaced and that helped but is still looking at a gearbox adjustment, rebuild or replacement. I have tools and the service manual.

Thanks,
Kat

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:07:08 AM »
There is a guy in Victoria not far from you named Jim ( mechanic) if I can find his number I'll post it for you if he is still around but he hasn't been on the boards for a couple of years now, you amaze me girl you are getting down the road in that beast

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 07:11:26 AM »
Kat,

I've always taken my bus back to prevost but have talked to Alamo Truck Center this side (east) of San Antone off I10 and I do know there work on conversions of all kinds. maybe somebody has more insight on um.

glen

Offline rubyrambler

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:39:36 AM »
I love this beast! I towed for the first time this trip and it was great. My Chevy S-10 followed me around like a little puppy dog. If I can get the steering tightened, adjusted, etc and the air ride working correctly I'll be in seventh heaven :)

I'll check into the place east of San Antonio...thanks!

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 08:06:48 AM »
rubyrambler,

When we got our 4106, it wandered badly on the 600 mile drive home. I looked the steering over carefully and found that the shaft from the compartment below the driver's seat and the steering sector on the axle had a lot of play in the splined slip joint. I installed a new splined section from a driveshaft shop and adjusted the steering sector. That took most of the play out of the steering, but the bus still wandered. I took the bus to a heavy vehicle alignment shop and the only thing they found wrong was the toe-in was set at 1/8" and it should be at 0 (straight ahead). The bus drove great for the 20+ years we owned it after that.

If your bus isn't wandering, just too much free play in the steering wheel, adjusting the steering sector and the bevel gear below the steering wheel, under the drivers floor may be all that is needed. But, check the splined section and the u-joints on the shaft, too.

Good luck, Sam
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline rubyrambler

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 08:46:25 AM »
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the info. She wanders too so I'll have someone look at the toe-in as well. It was tough to get much speed up with the cross-winds blowing so hard and having to over-correct the steering on the way here. We got here in one piece and left alot of impatient, angry drivers out there....lol.

I'm looking at another 600 mile trip so want to have the steering issue resolved before we take off again.

Kat

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
what year is your S-10 and is it automatic, 4x4 ? I have a 95 S-10 Automatic 2 WD and don't know if it is tow-able 4 on the ground. Most of the people say it is not supposed to be but one guy said to over fill the tranny and it would be fine. ;D 8)

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline rubyrambler

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »
Hi Dave,

I have a 2000 4WD, standard shift that I tow 4 down. All I have to do is place it in neutral, unlock the steering wheel and remove the positive battery cable. Every couple hundred miles or so I reconnect the battery, start her up and let the fluids circulate to avoid anything drying out. It worked great. It won't work for automatic from what I have been told, only standard. You could try over-filling and stop more often, start her up and let the fluids circulate. If you have a regular mechanic for your truck, ask them. Hope that helps.

Kat

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »
I am not at home to look in my book.

Here's the URL for a book that will make your life easier.

http://www.busgarageindex.com/

It will tell you what kind of coaches they are familiar with.
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline Rick 74 MC-8

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 06:13:43 AM »
Hi Kat
 In 2005 we were in San Antonio and I needed u joint replaced. Stopped in it Sun West tours. Don't know if you can help you. He maintains his own coaches. The labor rate then was 45 dollars an hour. Charged me 2 hours and I supply the parts

Rick
About 20 Miles West Of Chicago

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal