Author Topic: Portland, OR to Destin, Fl - maybe  (Read 10959 times)

Offline Sipapu

Portland, OR to Destin, Fl - maybe
« on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »
I'm beginning to think I may not make it at all.  I started out today feeling pretty good.  The bus was running really well, just a little extra smoke that I assumed was the altitude.  I stopped for fuel, made about a 100 miles - really happy with things - then suddenly temp jumped to 200.  I shut if off - cooled it down and limped another 20 miles.  Bill Gerrie helped me troubleshoot - and looks like another piston gone - or worse.  Good Sam is towing me to Farmington, NM tomorrow - anyone know a good diesel mechanic in the area?

Thanks,
Rick
New owner - 1969 GMC T8H5305a-020
This is the bus Sandra Bullock did NOT trash in the movie, Speed

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
Re: Portland, OR to Destin, Fl - maybe
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Rick,

Let me be the first to extend my heart felt condolences! It sounds like you are having a real time of it. I don't know much about 2 strokes, but if I was in the area, I would sure help.

Other then heating up, what symptoms do you have?

Again, sorry it is working out like this.

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Sipapu

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 07:22:18 PM »
I can't even start it now.  It ran really rough - and shut itself down as I pulled off to cool down the 2nd time.  Running rough with lots of gray smoke.  I pulled and filled the fuel filters and it ran for a few minutes, at a rough idle and no response from the throttle.  When it shut down - a lot of oil from the 'blowby' pipe? Used or threw out a gallon of oil - and hadn't been using hardly any.  It went from purring to disaster - I haven't even run it 1000 miles.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:33:05 PM »
Stewart and Stevenson is your best bet in Farmington what a shame you probably lost a injector and it took a piston and head  out I was hoping you made it ? is that a 6v71 or 8v71 other 2 things it could have broke a liner or the blower came apart also.

Man I feel for you that's about all I can say
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Sipapu

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »
Thank you, I saw S&S in the phone book.  I'll call them tomorrow.  Just knowing someone can work on it is helpful - and that sounds exactly like what happened.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 08:04:30 PM »
I can help with parts for 8v71 like a blower,crank,cams and heads not much I can do for you if it is a 6v71 sorry

good luck

Offline Sipapu

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:24:29 AM »
It is an 8v71.  I called S&S and a guy named Art seems very knowledgeable.  They work on a lot of two-stroke diesels for the oil field industry.  I'll be towed there today. 

I asked for a flat bed tow truck - are there any dangers in towing that I should be aware of - not let them do?

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »
If you ask most S&S locations will use aftermarket parts to help save you some bucks if not it will be genuine Detroit parts   

Stewart and Stevenson is a good out fit they kinda help developed and improve the 2 strokes over the years

good luck

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
What did you find

Never fun when things go wrong

Melbo   :(
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline Sipapu

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 05:34:46 PM »
We got the motor apart today.  It 'dropped' another 2 pistons and pieces got thrown around in the blower and exhaust manifold.  Its been suggested to do an in frame overhaul.  If I understand correctly, this would be cylinder kits on all 8, replace the main and rod bearings (again, just to be safe), heads, injectors - maybe rework the blower.  The block is not cracked and the 'lower end' seems ok.  $7,000 - 9,000.  Luvrbus, does this sound like a good course of action?  Think I could end up with a good basic motor that I could depend on?

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »
Depend on how much you like the bus the price is not bad

Offline Sipapu

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »
The rest of the bus is really nice.  Itside is very, very confortable - out side needs some paint and a few dings knocked out.  I want to keep it.  I just want this 'fix' to give me a motor I can trust.  This is at Stewart & Stephenson - I really like these guys.

Offline Sipapu

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
And actually I'm feeling better about things than I have.  If I can get the motor right - I have begun to figure out the rest of this thing.  I think I can figure out how to maintain it - and do most of the future work myself.  I was not prepared for learning and repairing a diesel on this trip - but I can do this :)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
It will be right when it leaves S/S or they will make it right go for it the rebuild it should last for a life time and be dependable with oil changes and TLC they run for ever it seems like  

When you get the final bill and there is something you don't agree with those guys will negotiate with you  

FWIW I been following you ever since you bought the bus and you are the only person I ever heard say that Smith in Salt Lake was a good deal lol you will find S/S is a good dealer if not the best      

good luck

Offline Brassman

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
The '71 is actually pretty easy to overhaul, though you need the right tools. When I did those back in the '70's you would get a piston and rod, with new bearings, loaded in a liner for a hundred bucks with exchange. Drop the liner assemblies in, exchange the heads, pop in new unit injectors, and go fishing.

$7,000-9000 to have someone do the work, while on the road, in today's world, sounds good to this sixty year-old man.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
100 bucks a hole was the going price back then now a liner kit with piston, rings,wrist pin and seals no rods or bearings are 489.00 bucks from Detroit,heads 1200 exchange ea,blower 600 to 900 bucks good injectors almost 100 each the list goes on  

I just got 12 Jake Brake jumper tube seals from WW Williams today $3.52 ea  9 bucks for shipping and they would fit in a envelope $53.94 for 12 pieces of rubber, I won't be giving this batch away to my friends  lol

Offline Sipapu

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »
I've listened to everything you and others have said. The help has been invaluable. These S&S folks are my kinda people.

It will be right when it leaves S/S or they will make it right go for it the rebuild it should last for a life time and be dependable with oil changes and TLC they run for ever it seems like  

This is what I wanted to hear!

When you get the final bill and there is something you don't agree with those guys will negotiate with you  

FWIW I been following you ever since you bought the bus and you are the only person I ever heard say that Smith in Salt Lake was a good deal lol you will find S/S is a good dealer if not the best      

good luck

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »
Are you home yet???
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Sipapu

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 10:15:53 PM »
Update:  after getting further inside the motor, S&S suggested, and I agreed to a complete out-of-frame overhaul. Everything looked in sorry shape. The cam had a chunk knocked out of it (but was rebuild able). I'm also servicing the radiator and transmission and rebuilding the blower.  These guys have been super and trying to educate me.  It will cost around $17,000 and I am going into my 7th week on the road. After eating in all the Farmington restaurants, I decided to stay in Santa Fe for the next week (here now).  The bus should be finished in a week or so.

I remember reading somewhere before I flew to Portland - to buy a return ticket in case the bus was not up to expectations. Totally ignored that advice. I've decided that since I will have a new motor, I might as well fully restore this thing. The interior is great. Hopefully the most expensive is behind me :)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 05:40:25 AM »
If you can afford it a out of frame is the way to go now you will be good for 400 to 500 k miles I try and explain to people a in frame is really a patch job that was all they were intended to be to try go another 100k miles maybe
 All new gaskets, seals, line bore if needed with no leaks the way to go IMO 

good luck

Offline TomC

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 07:18:45 AM »
When I had my 8V-71 overhauled, we had the block bored .030 over, installed new .030 outside liners with normal interiors and used my pistons over again. Rebuilt blower, one new head, all rebuilt injectors, bearings. Was $11,000 13 years ago. So your price sounds good to me. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Sipapu

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »
They showed me where s new liners would not have fit well and said due to uneven heat transfer (no water jacket?), I could have troubles. I couldnt really afford this, but I also couldn't NOT do it. It will be nice to have a new one. Now I can start from the back (all pretty) and work forward in the coming years. :)

Thsnks for referring S&S, Clifford. They are treating me well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal