Author Topic: vernitherm valve  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Red Rider

• God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.
vernitherm valve
« on: April 15, 2013, 12:52:43 PM »
Does anybody know of a proper test procedure for the "stat" for my torus fan.I keep running at the high temp range (200*) with the old engine and the replacement. radiator is flowing with a major temp drop between the tanks. My first though was to make a trial run  in the "as is" condition and then make the same test with a plug in the torus oil out port. Any other ideas?
Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885

Offline luvrbus

Re: vernitherm valve
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 01:47:51 PM »
Did change you change the old patched up fan blade Mickey no way it could be efficient with a welded on patch JMO do you want me to send you another valve and try it ?
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:23:14 PM »
You can test the valve operation by simply blocking one of the oil lines to or from it.  The fan will spin at max rpm.  Then watch your temps.  If it still gets hot, it's not the Vernatherm valve.  I did this with my 4106 to test a heat issue. 
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline Red Rider

• God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »
No Clifford, I haven't changed it yet. I didn't listen to you and had to change the rear main seal. I'm about ready to make a test run in the next few days and I didn't want to compound any oil leaks with a chance of overheating.

One lapper:

That's what I had in mind. Thanks for the input.

Offline Red Rider

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 06:24:52 AM »
For those who may be interested in this thread, here's the latest. I plugged the oil out port on the Torus fan. The fan came to life and I went on a 30 mile ride. The path was one I have taken many times so I was familiar with how the temp acted. The temp went up to t-stat opening and stayed there. My next step is to disassemble the Vernatherm and see if it's gunked up (from the old engine) or bad a spring. I am beginning to suspect that this heating problem was the cause of the demise of my old engine. Hope this helps anyone with a "creeping" upper heat range situation on their Detroit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal