Author Topic: Getting Fuel lines from Fuel tank into Condenser bay  (Read 2652 times)

Offline ake1994

Getting Fuel lines from Fuel tank into Condenser bay
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:52:50 AM »
    Hello All, I have been a member here for many years, and enjoy the forum almost everyday during my lunch hour. I am finally installing a generator in my bus. I have an 87 MCI 9, Ex NJT. I need to get Fuel lines from the compartment where the bus Fuel tank is located into the old air conditioner condenser bay. It appears that the wall dividing these two compartmemts might be made of two layers, spaced about a 1/2 inch apart? I drilled a 1/8 inch hole from the condenser side into the tank compartment where I wanted to run the lines through. I hit another layer of material and did not appear to break through into the compartment beside the tank. The plan was to run the lines through the bulkhead and along the back side of the tank over to the side where the inlet is located. I hesitate to drill through this next layer of metal for fear that it might be the end of the fuel tank. I am certain that where I am drilling would come through between the tank and the rear wall of the tank compartment, but don't want to chance drilling into the back end of the tank. I may just have to enlarge the 1/8 inch hole so that I can see through it.
    Anyone have experience in this area? Is the dividing wall made up of two layers of aluminum? Is there a better way to get Fuel lines into the old a/c Condenser bay?
    Thanks in advance,

Breck

Offline Oonrahnjay

Re: Getting Fuel lines from Fuel tank into Condenser bay
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:57:14 AM »
   Photos, Breck??   [/quote]
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Tony LEE

• Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »
Don't forget the main service duct that runs the full length of the bus has the bottom half full of pipes.

Offline 5B Steve

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 06:00:28 AM »

I think Fred Hobe had one of his segments on that subject.

Steve 5B......

Offline ake1994

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 07:43:43 AM »
Just wanted to check in and let folks know how this turned out. Thank you to those that posted suggestions.

On the MCI model 9, the partition between the A/C Condenser Bay and the Compartment holding the fuel tank, is a single layer of aluminum. The Fuel tank is located within 1/2" of that partition wall. I was able to cut a 1" hole in that partition so that it was located in the rear lower corner of the fuel tank compartment. Because the tank has a radius on the corners, there is room to run the fuel lines along the corner of the compartment and over to the outside end of the fuel tank where the filler neck is located.

The fuel lines are now run from the generator located in the first bay on the driver side of the bus and over to the fuel tank acess plate on the passenger side. Hope to start the generator for the first time very soon.

I will try to put some pictures up soon. I know how much we all enjoy seeing pictures.

Thanks,

Breck

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal