Author Topic: Hats off to a great company...  (Read 10391 times)

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
Hats off to a great company...
« on: November 24, 2006, 03:34:46 PM »
Hey all,

With so much bad news in the world today, I want to tell you a great story about customer service.  My wife and I just moved from Mississippi to Pennsylvania and the first thing we did was find our local Wal-Mart...made us feel right at home.  We were looking for a big screen TV and just happened to be waited on by the manager of the electronics department.  We found the one we wanted but it was a little out of our price range.  The manager said, "but we will apply the Mississippi discount to you'se guys and see what happens."  It brought the price down considerably. 

Then, of course I realized I sold my truck, bus and just about everything else before we moved and I realized, the new TV wouldn't fit in our SUV.  Wal-Mart manager to the rescue again.  He informed me that he would just throw it in the back of his truck and drop it off on his way home.  Unbelievable service. 

I love Wal-Mart and what it means to this country.  If you love Wal-Mart too, go here: http://www.forwalmart.com/

and let your feelings be known.

Jimmy
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Hats off to a great company...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 05:23:56 PM »
Jimmy,

Glad you had a great expierence with the biggest employer in the country...

Usually you always hear people bashing them. Huh...

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 05:44:30 PM »
We regularly shop at WalMart to pay them back for all the nights we have overnighted in their various parking lots.  Camp WallyMart is our favorite stop when we are moving long distances in a short time.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 07:33:36 PM »
Jimmy,

Nice to hear of your positive experience!

I also appreciate the consideration they have shown to the RV community in general in regards to overnight parking.

Like Bob we recipricate the favor with our business.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline gus

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 08:09:17 PM »
Jimmy,

Your post sounds as if it came straight from WM's new publicity operation on which it is spending millions trying to repair a damaged reputation, If it is I resent your using the forum for this purpose. I hope not because it is pretty underhanded if it is. Forwalmart, of course, is financed by WM. All you have to do is read a newspaper to find out all this.

Yes, I shop at WM and appreciate their RV parking policy and in our really small town we appreciate the store convenience and the service is second to none. Plus I live in their home state.

It is a great store for the customer but "I love Wal-Mart and what it means to this country" is a little bit too much. It is just a store, nothing more. It is not a patriotic institution, it is a business.

However, in spite of all this the fact is that they treat their employees like crap, pay really low wages and have minimum health benefits. The Walton family members are all billionaires and some employees are on food stamps. I have first hand knowledge of how they treat employees.

If you want to find an example of a good employer just check out the employee policies of Costco.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 12:43:23 PM »
Hi GUSC,

I belive that Jimmy had a great expierence with an employee that represents WalMart, and would like to inform us of

his pleasure that is a very rare occourence theese days. I'm glad to read his post here because, I'm a frequent shopper

and, user of overnight parking. Boy, I wish I would recieve service like that here....

Many Reguards
Nick-
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.

Offline gus

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 07:44:05 PM »
Nick,

I couldn't agree more - if it is genuine and didn't come from WMs new publicity department. That is what it sounds like to me and I'm waiting for "Jimmy" to say that it is not actually from WM.

I am one of WM's best customers because in our small town there isn't much else and I make use of their RV parking policy, which I appreciate. We buy most all our groceries and just about everything else from WM both here and on the road. It is a great place to shop.

What I don't appreciate is their use of propaganda which is made to appear to be from regular citizens. WM does not need to do this, what they need to do is pay a decent salary and give their employees good medical benefits. If they did this they would not be getting all the bad publicity and getting sued all the time. Costco does this and they are doing very well.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 07:52:54 PM »
GUSC,

You have a very good piont..  However, Jimmy is not one of their VP's  LOL...

Nick-

JerryH

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 04:26:31 AM »
Being a Devil's advocate here...

Although I am guilty of going to and purchasing from Wal-Mart ... I wonder whether the type of customer service that Jimmy received was indicitive of Wal-Marts and their customer service protocols, or whether that particular Wal-Mart and individual opted to go above and beyond the call of duty.

Wal-Mart, Home Depots, and the like are ... at this point ... necessary evils and some locations have driven out the local stores.  They've somewhat eroded their particular market, some of the companies really do not take care of (all of) of their employees.  Again, a certain "necessary evil" and frustration with these "big" stores.

Given the choice, subject to timing and location, I choose to support local businesses and keep our dollar in the community.

But, I'd attribute good customer service to the individual in many instances rather than the company.  Yes, it might be their "policy" to provide great customer service and to what end -- it's the "person" who actually pulls it off and make it happen.

Just my $0.02,
Jerry H.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 05:26:01 AM »
Most of these BIG Box stores operate in a similar fashion. I was talking to an employee at Home Depot yesterday while he was re-keying a lock for me. I commented that as busy as the store was and being Christmas season, I would think they would have more floor employees working as well as more than 3 check out lanes open. He commented that they always operate with as few employees as they can get by, but the Home Depot CEO received a 15 million dollars last year in salary and bonuses.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Dreamscape

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 05:37:06 AM »
Home Depot, Lowes, Wal Mart are all the same. They hire people who for the most part don't know anything about anything. They just stock the shelves, well maybe sorta. Once in a while you find someone who is knowledgeable, but very rare. Maybe you could teach them something. Besides they probably only make minimum wage anyway. Not much incentive there. Other stores have the same issues also.

If you do find a good employee let them know you appreciate them, everyone needs to hear that once in a while. Besides its Christmas, or should I say the Holiday Season to be politically correct.

I just know what I need, go get it and try to get out as fast as I can. I'm not much for shopping anyways, ask my wife.

Enjoy whatever you do!

Paul

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 07:54:56 AM »

Home Depot, Lowes, Wal Mart are all the same. They hire people who for the most part don't know anything about anything. They just stock the shelves, well maybe sorta. Once in a while you find someone who is knowledgeable, but very rare. Maybe you could teach them something. Besides they probably only make minimum wage anyway. Not much incentive there. Other stores have the same issues also.
If you do find a good employee let them know you appreciate them, everyone needs to hear that once in a while. Besides its Christmas, or should I say the Holiday Season to be politically correct.

I just know what I need, go get it and try to get out as fast as I can. I'm not much for shopping anyways, ask my wife.

Enjoy whatever you do!

Paul

Besides they probably only make minimum wage anyway. Not much incentive there. Other stores have the same issues also.

I sincerely doubt that a few dollars more per hour would increase their incentive. My experience with hiring entry level employees is that a few will exhibit incentive, but the majority will do the very least amount of work necessary
to keep their job and nothing more.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 10:04:45 AM »
Uh, I don't work for Wal-Mart, nor does any of my family.  I don't own any shares in Wal-Mart, nor does any of my family (that I know of).  I was looking for a way to let the company know they have an exemplery employee and came across the Families for Walmart Website. 

I have no particular axe to grind here, but just wanted to let everyone know of my experience with a great employee (by extension, if I have good experience with a great employee, then I afford that to the company who employed them).  After reading my original post, I must admit that it did look a little obnoxious and I actually emailed Nick to ask him to remove it.  But his response was that neither of us thought it would be much of a problem. 

If I offended anyone with my post, I sincerely apologize.  I can see Gus' point and I don't disagree with your assesment because if I read the post from your point of view, I would probably think the same thing.  I didn't mean to create a ruckus.  I'm going to go and remove my foot from my mouth now, but I will be more careful of my posts in the future.   ;)

Jimmy 
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Dreamscape

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »
I for one was glad to read your experience. It is nice to hear something positive these days no matter who it is about even Wally's World.

No one company is perfect in all ways. There will always be negative said.

I will shop to find the best price, and buy from them.

It is all about personal perspective.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 12:54:28 PM »
Jimmy,

There two kinds of people in this world.. Negitive and positive..

You are a positive and positive people are the ones that make dreams come true... Just by looking at the good in

people, or busisnesses, no matter what the negitive is. This  is what makes change happen!

Negitive people are the ones that put you down and complain about everything. Nothing but Negitive things happen in this mode..

Jimmy.... If you are posting about a positive circumstance, Don't ever be afraid to do so..... I WANT TO HEAR IT!

Nick-

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal