Author Topic: Bus questions! - Long post (newbie)  (Read 17891 times)

Offline belfert

Re: Bus questions! - Long post (newbie)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »
Why two maintenance budgets?  If the money is strictly for the bus by itself then $74,000 a year seems like way too much.  Even if you needed new tires and brakes every year you wouldn't spend that much.  The bus will be under warranty for a period of time.  If you run the generator a lot it could need regular oil changes, but that isn't $2,000 a month.  Maybe you're including other costs that most of us wouldn't consider maintenance.

A brand new bus that actually gets used shouldn't have many issues.  Stuff tends to seize up and otherwise not work on buses that sit for long periods.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline bansil

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »
wow
Not sure how to respond,4 people "touring" the country in a Million dollar coach putting on workshops for teenage inspiring actors and acting like "rock stars" with a $15,555 monthy budget (plus food)

You don't think this is over kill?

I noticed no job openings posted...I'll check back later  ;D

Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
Hats off Cris. My Dad said years ago, "it doesn't cost but 10% more than you make to go first class." Good luck. Spend it while you got it is what I say. One thing about it ,it doesn't  hurt to make a showing when you arrive! Now if your borrowing money on this quest, I need your bankers number! ;D

Offline Topher

• Me at work
    • The 24 On Tour
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 04:31:17 PM »
Why two maintenance budgets?  If the money is strictly for the bus by itself then $74,000 a year seems like way too much.  Even if you needed new tires and brakes every year you wouldn't spend that much.  The bus will be under warranty for a period of time.  If you run the generator a lot it could need regular oil changes, but that isn't $2,000 a month.  Maybe you're including other costs that most of us wouldn't consider maintenance.

A brand new bus that actually gets used shouldn't have many issues.  Stuff tends to seize up and otherwise not work on buses that sit for long periods.

See that's why I came here. Because I don't know how much I should have budgeted for maintenance. All I have to go on is Big bus, lot of miles and a lot of unknown for me. And trying to google and research there are so many variables. So what would you suggest for a budget?

wow
Not sure how to respond,4 people "touring" the country in a Million dollar coach putting on workshops for teenage inspiring actors and acting like "rock stars" with a $15,555 monthy budget (plus food)

You don't think this is over kill?

I noticed no job openings posted...I'll check back later  ;D

I'm crazy!!! I know this!

And its not teenagers who are on the road its the people who run the workshop that will be on the road. When I looked for a bus I looked for new and over the top and one that will last a LONG time.

The way the program works to make it short. Three people run the workshop and one person drives the bus. So you pull up to the venue and run the program and be their over 30 hours straight, hop into the bus and go to the next location.

The bus I picked out is a "dream bus" for lack of better wording. Want the most and work with what you get. I just want a nice place for the people on the road to be able to not only relax but be able to have fun. I have my eye on a few other buses but the biggest problem with entertainer bus's are (for most of them) you can't drink the water, you can't poop, no shower, no stove, extremely small fridge and tight spaces. When living with people on a bus you want space at times.

P.S.
If in any of my reply's I sound like I'm being mean or something, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to. I am just trying to learn a lot of information before my summer starts. My summer job is M-F 7am to 1am and then most weekends the same. So the more I can learn the better I am for getting all the paper work and stuff in order to start all my filing and the start of my crazy adventure.

Chris
Chris
Mansfield, Ohio

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 05:08:40 PM »
Chris, if whoever is paying for this is planning on getting a loan through Wade at Staley Coach they're gonna need at least 25% down and a credit score of 730 plus. Getting financing on buses is ridiculously difficult because you can move and hide a bus.
I have a feeling your dream coach is about to get overtaken by your reality coach.

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline bansil

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 05:13:27 PM »
Reality coach?RE skoolie with 2 popup campers mounted on the roof....room for atleast 8 people to sleep,and a fullsize fridge and shower......10k and craigslist....just do it.....don't worry about the glimmer and bedazzle when you roll up.
Wow them with talent and good schooling....then head back to the pimped 2 story skoolie and pop a cold one  ;D
And plenty of budget left for a new tranny....transmission and engine...seems simple
Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 05:23:25 PM »
Chris,

I think the smart thing for you to do would be to lease the bus for the first year.  It may be just as expensive but you'll get experience with the bus and if it ends up not working out the way you thought it would - you are not responsible for continuing to keep the bus running and trying to sell it (if you buy it new you'll never get your money back.)  This will also help you to budget over the first year and see what works best.  You'll get to know the goods/bads and ins/outs of operating a bus.  Even if money is no object, I'd still lease the bus first.

Just my 1/2 pence worth of thought at the end of a long week of work.

-Sean
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »
He better worry about his paper work for the IRS before the bus the 501C is getting hard to get nowadays but if all else I know where he can buy 1 lol leasing a decent bus will cost him 10,000 a month plus all the extras that go with it

For 150 grand or less he can buy a late model entertainer in 1999 to 2000 year range leasing would not be good for a 501C non profit  

The 501C can make a profit and pay no taxes under the law it's kinda of miss leading the non profit part plus donations made to the 501C are deductible if you itemize your taxes  

They can pay salaries set by the board or officers that is why they are called non profit the people in charge take all the money lol and pay personal taxes on it

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »
Clifford,

From a guy who spent most of his adult life touring. A star coach like Chris is describing from Hemphill or Senators coaches is 10-12k a WEEK to lease. An entertainer 12 bunk band/crew bus is 7500 to 9 k a week and driver and fuel is extra.
That's just the coach with the full nationwide support of the company and that does include insurance.

That's crazy money right there.

RB
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »
Goes to show you how smart I was I leased the H-40 RV I bought a few years back for 10 grand month on a 6 month lease I thought I was making a killing and I never had to touch it in fact never saw it again, wound up selling to guy that leased it and made a few coins off the deal

I never asked what Taylor leased his buses for now I understand the $30,000 Rolex  ::) he wears
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Hobie

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 02:46:16 PM »
Hi Chris,
Sounds like you are really doing your homework.  You have hit on a huge wealth of bus info with these guys.  From engines to business they have the experience.   You probably are already thinking of this but just in case,  spend a little time and find a good driver trainer to train all that will be driving the rig.  You have a lot of lives inside and outside to protect.  Safety is a big part of this new venture.  Good luck and it sure sounds like fun!

Offline paul102a3

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 03:37:55 PM »
Just prior to the Tampa RV Super Show, there was a Prevost only show at theTampa Convention Center. There was something like 40 coaches on the floor and the two nicest (in my opinion) was the one you are looking at and a second similar unit.

Show attendance was pretty poor at the time we were there and as a result, my wife and I had the opportunity to spend several hours on board the two coaches and talk with the builders of those coaches (can't for the life of me remember their names). I have to say, the conversion was extremely well done and was very functional for life on the road.

The design elements and use of different materials really makes the coach comfortable and it looks spectacular, in and out.

Good luck with your new venture.

Paul

Offline belfert

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
It sounds like this bus will get driven 20,000 miles a year give or take.  I don't think I saw an annual mileage number other than monthly fuel expense of $2,000.  At 20,000 miles a year a bus bought new should not need brakes or tires for a number of years.  A bus that moves every few days generally has less issues than a bus that sits for long periods like over winter.

I'll let others chime in too, but I don't see how a bus with 20,000 miles a year will need more than $10,000 a year for maintenance.  Tires and brakes should last several years.  Prevost warranties the bus for the first two years so only wear items will be an issue.  A brand new Prevost is a whole different class of bus than most of us drive.  I would have a bus like that inspected and serviced at a Prevost service center at least once a year.  The cost might be $1,000 to $2,000, but it would be worth it to me at least if I had that class of bus.

If don't know if you're including insurance in the maintenance budget or not.  I have no idea what insurance for a bus like would cost.  I only pay around $600 a year for full coverage, but mine is a personal motorhome and my value is a fraction of what this bus would be insured for.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline belfert

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »
I have a 1995 Dina bus.  I'm posting a rough budget of what I spend for repairs/maintenance for a year:

$600 insurance
$280 registration (plates)
$130 roadside assistance
$800 oil change, chassis inspection and lube, full brake inspection
$1,000 to $2000 repairs as indicated by inspection
$2,000 major wear items rotating through tires, house batteries, and chassis batteries.  (Not all tires replaced same year)

Not everything might be considered maintenance.  Total for a year ends up around $5,800.

Offline arutkow

• Save Downtown!
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 07:27:44 AM »
I think a limo and hotel rooms would be cheaper.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal