Author Topic: Looking for 8V92 DDEC  (Read 3620 times)

Offline coachconverter

Looking for 8V92 DDEC
« on: April 26, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »
I have a customer desperate for a 8v92 DDEC engine for his 91 Prevost XL. If anyone knows of a good used engine for a reasonable price please let me know.

Appreciate it.

Todd
Coachconverter@yahoo.com

Offline luvrbus

Re: Looking for 8V92 DDEC
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »
Todd, Zee has a couple of DDEC 11 and 111 from fire trucks but they take a lot of parts changing to work in a Prevost he was asking 5000 ea but the truck engines will cost him about 3 grand to convert to the Prevost setup 

I don't know of any DDEC 11 bus engines (I guess that is what he has) for sale right now what's wrong with his is it not repairable ?
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline coachconverter

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
Im not sure what's wrong with it, but he's been waiting a year to replace it and now needs it running in a couple weeks.

Just for educational purposes, can you give me a thumbnail sketch of what all is needed to convert a truck engine to a bus ready engine?  Externals seem easy, it's the internals I have no concept of.

Thanks
Todd

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 02:52:18 AM »
Seems if your replacing a like engine, most needed material should be available from the old engine, however with DDC, there is no end to the possibilities of what could & should be different, My education started by changing the transmission in the MC7 from the origional 4 speed to a RTO910 Road Ranger, flywheel, bell housing and engine mounts just for a start, DDC / Greyhound used a SAE 1 Bell Housing with a SAE 2 flywheel, that means the starter had to be moved closer to the crankshaft, so a different SAE 1 Bell Housing was required, one for the SAE 1 Flywheel, can get very interesting.  Easy if you have a yard full of junk DDC engines.
Good luck
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 05:10:11 AM »
Todd,everything on the rear of the engine needs to come off and the gears rearranged even the back plate needs to change  

If he has the gear driven alternator the head will need to be removed and switch cams for the alternator drive as most truck engine have a belt driven alternator not a easy task  

FWIW MCI,Setra and Neo have the same setup as Prevost except the tilt angle on the compressor from a MCI only the bell housing needs to change 1 from a Eagle requires major work  

Me if the block is good rebuild what he has

Good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline B_K

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 05:23:32 AM »
I have one that can be driven from my shop to yours.

It's in an 89' Setra S215. 8V92 DDEC, Auto trans w/retarder.

Runs good, smokes some on start up and at idle but once it gets out on the road clears up quickly.

Last few trips it made were from Nashville to Panama City Beach/Ft. Walton Beach, FL set the cruise on 73 mph and cruised all day no problems.

We retired the bus from service as it needed too much $ in body work and interior upgrades to make it "feasible" to keep in regular service.
Seats have already been removed and is being used as a storage locker right now! (we can unload it fast if sold!)

$5000 cash and it can be driven away!
;D  BK  ;D

Offline coachconverter

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:12:03 PM »
Thanks, I'll talk to him about this.  I'm not sure if he wants to spend the money installing one that already smokes though.

But if I understand right, this engine should be a straight forward swap?

Which tranny does the Setra have?

Todd

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal