Author Topic: Still looking for my first bus  (Read 10568 times)

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
Still looking for my first bus
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:32:58 AM »
 Ok been very busy with life, and took a break from my bus search, but Im back at it. I only have a total of 10 to 15,000 to spend, so yes I know this will be tough to find a good converted bus, but after meeting some folks that are traveling and living fulltime in their bus in Blythville, Im more motivated to get out there and live fulltime. Are there any of you that are or have lived fulltime in your buses that would be willing to talk with me? Also information on what to look for or look out for in my bus search. I know about the tires and batteries. Also I know this is a sore subject for some to talk about, but with the economy the way it is and the price of fuel going up, won't I be able to get a bus for dirt cheap? (I'm selling my house for dirt cheap). Any and all help will be very appreciated.
  Scott
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1

Offline Ralph7

Re: Still looking for my first bus
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »
             I am fulltime in my TMC(mci)   MC-8!!!!   Will be back later tonite----Presently in eastern Or.   ---  off to play !!!!

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »
Several here have found a good bus well within the price range you have. For some reason it seems there used to be many more for sale back when the price of fuel was cheaper and the market was better. The lower priced bus conversions (Like GM, old MCI 5 or 7 etc) have not seen a big drop because they are already bottomed out and much lower they bring more in scrap. The biggest drop in price has been the mid-range conversions usually based on the Eagles or 40' MCIs. If you are OK with a stick I have thought Fast Fred's 4106 would be a very good candidate (Is it still for sale?). I have not seen it in person but it seems he has spent the money on the mechanicals to keep it up. I have heard his price is very negotiable. Keep looking, you will find one.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline mike802

• 1983 MCI MC9
    • www.mjamsdenfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:42:25 AM »
I know a guy here in Vermont who is thinking of selling a converted MC 9.  The conversion was built without completely gutting the bus, IE the original insulation and walls are still in place and if I remember correctly the original bathroom is in place and functional.  Overall the bus is clean and in good condition.  It has been setting for several years and for some reason does not want to air up, but they are working on that.  If you are interested I could get some pictures, or a video to you.  I think the price would be fair.  Let me know.
Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont

Offline TomC

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:30:24 AM »
When I bought my transit bus (AMGeneral 10240B) it is all I could afford also at $4,000.00. BUT-I've put WAY more into it over the years to get it where I like it. While they said the engine was over hauled recently (and it was), it was a down and dirty overhaul not properly done. I had it redone at $8,500.00. Then changed out the air steering to Sheppard power steering-was to scary driving at freeway speeds and replaced all 8 air bags-another $2,600.00. Then had the engine turbocharged and the transmission overhauled-another $16,000.00.

My point-pay a bit more and get the exact bus you want with exactly the engine/transmission combo that you want. It will cost you less in the long run.

If I were getting a bus now to convert, without question it would be a MCI 102C3. 102" wide, 6'10" headroom, giant windows and straight sides. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
I know a guy here in Vermont who is thinking of selling a converted MC 9.  The conversion was built without completely gutting the bus, IE the original insulation and walls are still in place and if I remember correctly the original bathroom is in place and functional.  Overall the bus is clean and in good condition.  It has been setting for several years and for some reason does not want to air up, but they are working on that.  If you are interested I could get some pictures, or a video to you.  I think the price would be fair.  Let me know.

Yes please send me both video and as many pictures as you can, and thank you very much.
 Scott
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1

Offline treeplanter

• the grey ghost,1971 GMC 5305A
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »
http://www.bargainbusnews.com/  Scott this site has a selection of bus's for sale. Take your time and you will get what you want.
Timothy

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
With todays market on used buses a person can buy a bus made in the 90's for 7500 bucks you buy one made in 1990 it's a 23 year old bus even then

Better than a 50 or 60 year bus one would guess who knows how long the feds and states are going to allow a person to keep a old bus on the road , that maybe coming sooner that one expects
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline vonprum

• Here she is the day I bought it
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 06:27:52 AM »
I may consider selling my 1957 GMC 4104 in the near future. It's an older conversion but very many upgrades: Shepherd power steering, newer engine, rebuilt trans and new clutch, upgraded air cleaner, four corner leveling system, propane 6.5kw onan generator, 2 A/Cs, 2 Fantastic vents, new awning fabric, new Sealand toilet and a bunch more. I'll be asking $15k. Let me know if you are interested.
Lance Von Prum
Vancouver, WA
1957 PD 4104

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 09:56:18 AM »
With todays market on used buses a person can buy a bus made in the 90's for 7500 bucks you buy one made in 1990 it's a 23 year old bus even then

Better than a 50 or 60 year bus one would guess who knows how long the feds and states are going to allow a person to keep a old bus on the road , that maybe coming sooner that one expects

A bus made in the 90's for 7500 bucks? Im wanting one that is already converted.   ???
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

Offline belfert

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »
A bus made in the 90's for 7500 bucks? Im wanting one that is already converted.   ???

I've seen a lot of folks on this very forum who buy a bus converted by someone else and then they end up redoing a lot of the interior anyhow.  Either the previous owner's work wasn't that great, or the design and/or layout just wasn't what the new owner wanted.

A factory done conversion may be less likely to need any work, but they also tend to cost more.  One reason they cost more is banks are much more likely to lend money on a factory done RV with an RVIA seal.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »
everyone talks about the bottom falling out but you don't see anyone that wants to dump their coach for low money...they are only cheap if your buying...never when they are selling... ???
so a 1957 for $15K.. that makes a late 70's early 80's worth $60K to $80K .......not.
only that other bus depreciates....lol etc.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline vonprum

• Here she is the day I bought it
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 06:02:42 AM »
A 1957 GMC may not be worth $15K but a 1957 with a newer engine and $25K worth of upgrades might be.  the early buses are classics.  I regularly get positive comments on its classic appearance.  The 70's and 80's buses are just another bus. I hope I'm not offending any 70's or 80's bus owners.  There are obvious advantages to a newer bus but if you are a full timer like me you don't put that many miles on it.  I guess it's whether you want a classic old bus or just an inexpensive motorhome.  My old bus is reliable, fun to drive and I like its nostalgic lines, but that's just me.
Lance Von Prum
Vancouver, WA
1957 PD 4104

Offline Van

B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 07:08:02 AM »
Looks like a nice one, Van. 

I think that doing a universal search on Craigslist will bring up a lot of possibilities too.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal