Author Topic: Roof coatings revisited  (Read 10891 times)

Offline belfert

Roof coatings revisited
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
I need to do something about some leaks in my roof.  I think a roof coating will help after sealing some of the obvious areas.  Is there anything new in roof coatings in the past few years?  I searched here and found threads from 2008 and 2010.  Both Bus-Kote and Black Jack Ultra-Roof 1000 seemed to have good recommendations.  Kool Seal not so much due to chalking in some cases.

The Black Jack comes in a 4.75 gallon pail and covers 325 sq ft while the Bus-Kote covers about the same with only 2 gallons.  Is the Black Jack a lot thicker or something?  The thing I don't like about Bus-Kote is the $40 shipping for two gallons.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
Re: Roof coatings revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
The guys over at PC said ProFlex  or Sil-Flex200(black only)is all I found.  The ProFlex was clear and Brush-able. Used around all openings and seams. They both remain mildly flexible over time to prevent cracking. FWIW.   The ProFlex is printable. 
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline belfert

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »
I am using ProFlex on the seams and such.  I still want to put the roof coating on the whole roof.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline wagwar

• Mighty Bus Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:30:20 PM »
I don't know anything about Black Jack coating. I used the materials from Hy Tech Sales - insulating primer, Bus Kote and Flexi-Clear on the roof of my MC 9. Bus Kote covers very well and I was so impressed with its ease of use, ability to cover and insulating capabilities that I painted the whole bus with it. I rolled it on use a 1/4 nap roller and then rolled on the clear coat. The roof will never leak!  It is pricy, but I believe it to be a very good product. You can see my blog entries on the process at www.mightybus.wordpress.com

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline belfert

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 05:28:04 PM »
The Bus-Kote sounds like it is going to be a fair bit more expensive that I had first thought.  The manufacturer is recommending 1 coat of Aqua-Prime and then two coats of Bus-Kote.  I will need 4 to 5 gallons of the Bus-Kote alone.  Total cost is just about $400 with shipping.

The Black Jack product from Lowes is 1/3 the price.  I could buy a lot of other stuff for the bus with $250.  Decisions, decisions.  Still wondering if anything new is available now that wasn't on the market three years ago or five years ago.

Offline Zeroclearance

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 06:52:21 PM »
Belfert,  My bus is black..  It has a white roof..   Three seasons ago, I posted a thread and received the recommendation to use the Henry SolarFlex 287SF..   It does NOT streak or run like many other coatings that I have seen.   I bought a 5 gallon pail and still have 1/3 left.   I might go up there this year and touch things up.   It rolls on great, very easy...   

Home Depot has it..   I strongly recommend it..

Offline Jnbroadbent

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
I wonder why butyl rubber has not been brought up for small gaps. Stuff is super messy but some solvent does the trick. It's well suited for sealing up "below waterline" applications
Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl

Offline belfert

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:28:28 PM »
My experience with butyl rubber is that it never hardens.  Not very good for something to paint over and not very good for a roof coating.

Offline Kitt

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
I don't have any practical experience to add, but I just bought Snow Roof Premium to seal the roof of my Eagle. I found it recommended a few times on some different forums. The manufacturer mentions mobile homes in the product applications, which I liked. It is supposed to be very elastic and very reflective of heat from the sun too.

I looked at the roof paint at Lowes (BlackJack?) and didn't like the specs as much. It was cheaper, but I opted to spend a little more on Snow Roof for what looks to be a better product (on paper, anyway).

I bought the 5 gallon pail from True Value online and had it shipped for free to a local store. I'm hoping to get it done in the next few weeks, so ask me in a year or more how it is holding up :)

-Kitt
1977 Eagle model 05
8v71, Allison HT740D

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 11:14:05 AM »
I used Advanced Epoxy Systems AES-100 to coat my entire roof.  I have been more than pleased with the results. Bright white, no chalking, great heat reflection.
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

Offline expressbus

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
I used ProFlex RV Instant Roof Repair about four years ago. Worked well and I thought problem solved let's go busing. Well last weekend in Eastern Tennessee we had a hard and constant overnight rain. Yep, leak was back and in the same place.

I got back to the barn yesterday to examine the roof. I was surprised the Pro Flex was basically gone, thus the leak came back. Now it has a 10 year materials warranty but why put the same stuff back on when the sun and elements is going to eat it for lunch. I brushed it on for 3" either side of the rivet line(s), which would be about 7" for the double rows of rivets.

Well I still had half of the $80 gallon and it seemed to be in useable condition, and since I've got a trip planned for next weekend I used the rest of the material covering the same rivet lines after wiping the areas with lacquer thinner to clean the surface.

So right now I'm sore from all the ups and downs of ladder climbing, I wanted to stay off the roof just in case my weight would cause more leaks or vertigo kicked in and I fell off.

Hate to take the skin off and seal between sheets as it is re-riveted to the structure.

Just sayin' ...
Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach

Offline belfert

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »
There are so many options for roof coatings ranging from very expensive to pretty inexpensive that it is hard to make a choice.  I just want something I can put on and not have to worry about for the next five to ten years.  The two part epoxy based coatings sound nice simply because you don't need a dry sunny day to put them on, but they are also quite expensive.

Something available locally is a plus because shipping heavy liquids is not cheap.

I already have the Pro Flex sealer.  I figure if coated with paint it shouldn't deteriorate.

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 09:17:47 AM »
Subscribed. We've never coated our roof...still original bus roof paint from when it was in service. No leaks yet, but I would like to see a definitive product that bubbles to the top in everyone's experience.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline wildbob24

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »
Brian,

Have you contacted Ken and Ruthi to see how the TC Ceramic coating they used on their Dina has held up. Might be worth a call.

I'd be curious to know as I'm seriously considering that for mine.

Bob
P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
PD4106-2546, 8V71, 4sp
Greenville, GA

Offline Slide

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
Has anyone tried white truck bed liner some companies have colors?I us it for undercoating(black)it holds up well and stays flexible.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal