Author Topic: Route question....  (Read 7136 times)

Offline DaveNCari

Route question....
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:12:29 AM »
We are taking our 4104 from Phoenix to Seattle.....

What would the best route to take be for our tall geared beastie....

Dave
Coming soon.....need of a bus-friendly RV park.....that values Liberty!

Watch this space....

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
Re: Route question....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »
Dave,

If it was me doing that route (as I have quite a few times) I would go over to I-5, all the way up. It is less then an hour difference. If your bus has a breakdown you won't be out in the middle of nowhere (compared to most places on the direct route, lol), and it should be much nicer driving. Most people don't like LA, but stay on 210 around the outside, and you will be fine. None of the passes are too bad on 5.

YMMV

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline DaveNCari

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:47:40 AM »
I have heard horror stories of the California cops harassing older bus owners because they smoke..... is that not an issue?

Dave

Watch this space....

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:59:34 AM »
93 from Phoenix to Vegas 93 to to I 84 to Boise I 84 to I 82 then to I 90 to Seattle a route made for 6l71 in a  4104, 395 and I 5 both have some good grades you will be going up in 1st gear 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline tuccitown

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »
I purchased my 4905 in Tucson and drove it to Seattle with a Arizona trip permit and took the below route. No issues, only big hills were near Reading Cal. but with an empty shell I had no issues.

Not sure about smoking but if it smokes underway then I think you might have issues in any state.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Tucson,+AZ&daddr=41.481195,-122.902053+to:seattle+wa&hl=en&sll=39.914406,-116.629357&sspn=25.149462,38.71582&geocode=FS-q6wEdcWVj-Skr7SwLQWXWhjEVxxZNOC3Dcw%3BFevzeAId26ms-CmxCpYsHB_OVDHPsQm1Vjcv2A%3BFcJp1gIdWVy1-ClVM-iTLBCQVDGa1URpRmUlEA&t=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=5&via=1&z=5

Jack
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1979 GMC H8H649-053 Conversion in progress.
1955 GM PD 4501-377 Converted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline John316

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
Dave, never heard of an issue with an out of state bus. 93 all the way to Twin Falls isn't bad. Me personally, I like the interstate better. You have a few grades either way. I will also say that Clifford has probably done that route more times then I have been on the West Coast.....

Cheers,

John

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »
We have done 395 with our 4107 6V92T with no problems, 2nd and 3rd gears.  It is a pretty drive.  We stayed in the rest stops at night. Then to I-80 from Reno to Sacramento and I-5.  The climb at Redding isn't all the steep,  but long.  You will want to make sure you do it early in the day.  The heat can be horrid there in the summer.  But then, we live in the mountains and think the Grape Vine is over rated. The route through LA is the fastest though.

Don and Cary  
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:57:24 PM »
Hi D&C, this past winter drove from LV to Seatle, us93 to I84 to I5, there are little towns in Nevada, they're far apart, but diesel all along the way, nothing on nv6 from Hiko to Ely, I would stay on us93, towns are about 50 miles apart, decent road. If you decide to take I84, just south of Pendelton, Org is deadmans pass, one of the steepest sections of interstate, a bus went over the side this winter, last summer I took the Italian Greyhbound over the grapevine, was down to 1st gear, along with several trucks, both are 6% grades. Lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Hobie

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »
Go with Cliffords route!  Freeway 5 through Los Angeles may be quicker mileage wise but traffic is a nightmare.  Plus, the the 5 up the central valley of California is not a pretty drive, especially with all the dust in the air from current  farming activity.    Good advise about using the 210 if you do head to the 5 through Los angeles.  Just do the traverse in the middle or late in the day to avoid the traffic.  Forget the mornings. 

Offline DaveNCari

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 03:49:18 PM »
Thanks all..... I think we will try 93.....

DG

Watch this space....

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »
Dave n Cari -

Hogwash on CA law enforcement harassing older buses, especially those that are motorhomes.  If you drive it properly to keep the smoke at bay when climbing hills, it's totally a non-issue.  And if you drive in such a way as to not draw attention to yourself, they won't even notice you.  The headache is for commercial operators facing their annual CHP Motor Carrier inspections, not RVs.

Jack's route thru CA, OR & WA is a good one, but I'd stay on 99 up thru the Central Valley of CA, I-5 is BORING between the foot of the Grapevine south of Bakersfield until Sacratomato.  Plus, if you come via 99, a free Pepsi will await you in Fresno when you stop to say hi.

Clifford's also off a little when it comes to the grades on I-5.  You won't be down in first, you'll be in second!  BTDTHTS!  The Grapevine is a mixture of grade percentages, with a long (5-7 mi) 6% grade on each side.  Just drop the coach into second, stay in the RH lane and enjoy the ride.  Use your jake coming down!

If you come thru LA on 10/210, time it so that you hit San Bernadino around 10 am.  By doing so, you'll be able to just roll along at 60-65 most of the way.  Be sure to pick up 210 west of San Berdo, otherwise the traffic on 10 gets challenging.  There is a grade on 210 coming out of Pasadena that will slow you down a bit, but it's relatively short.

About 45 minutes N of Sacratomato is Ted Campbell's place - Coach Maintenance - on the S side of Williams.  If you need some 4104 parts, it's a good place to stop in and say hello.  West Coast equivalent to NJ's Luke.  But be aware that Ted doesn't open the doors until after 4 pm  - he's quite the night owl.  It will be on your right as you're headed NB, take the "Husted Rd" exit straight to his shop.  Can't miss it with all the buses parked there.

I-5 from Redding CA to Medford OR will keep you busy with the gearbox, but it's a gorgeous drive, especially around Mt Shasta.

Consider doing I-5 to Seattle, and Clifford's suggestion on the return run.  Best of both worlds!

Since you're driving a 4104, remember Aesop's Fable of the Tortoise and the Hare.  By doing so, you'll enjoy the journey even more!

Have a good trip, and if you do come thru Fresno, click on my profile for contact phone info.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline John316

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 03:16:44 AM »
This is impressive. I think for the first time (or certainly one of the first times) I am going to disagree with RJ :o. Personally (and it is all preference), I avoid 99 through the central valley. I really don't care for the drivers on 99 (which I have driven a lot), and take 5 whenever I possible can. For some reason drivers on 99 see the need to sit in the left lane no matter what speed they are driving, then vary their speed in a crazy fashion, not to mention being entirely distracted.

For some reason, maybe less traffic, I-5 seems more normal (drives like the rest of the country). It could also be going 55-60 on 99 might not be too bad in a bus. I have put a bunch of miles on 99 in a rental car, and that could be why it bothers me that much.

Sorry, RJ ;D

YMV

John

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 05:23:11 AM »
Are you going right into Seattle or just nearby?   I was born and raised about 20 miles east of Seattle and anymore when we go back there i avoid I-5 from Portland on up. I would rather go into eastern Wa. and come in over Snoqualmie Pass thus avoiding Olympia, Tacoma, Renton, Bellevue, Issaquah and or Redmond. It is, or can be, a little farther depending on whether you are coming up 1-5 or 1-84 but it is a lot less traffic.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 06:08:55 AM »
Don't let the CA guys BS you about the law not stopping you lol it is so bad around Needles the Canadians stay on the AZ side leaving Quartzsite they will stop and write you a repair ticket for broke windshields and too much smoke  

I bet RJ a Coke since I don't drink Pepsi you will be in 1st gear going up Mt Shasta with a weak 6l-71 if do go that route Mt Shasta is the place in CA for good water 

The Ag inspection stations in CA can be PITA sometime also and you do stop for those
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Re: Re: Route question....
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 06:33:53 AM »
I have heard horror stories of the California cops harassing older bus owners because they smoke..... is that not an issue?

Dave
They don t care if you smoke.It depends what you smoke and if you share.They perfer you don t drink while driving though.
Seriously not a problem unless you are stopping other drivers from seeing the road because of heavy smoke and that's any vehical.
Take 99 to50 at Sacramento over to I-5and up. Much prettier drive. A Sacramento native.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal